PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Shopping

dragonbait1a
08-23-2010, 6:56 PM
I bought a netbook at the beginning of the year, thinking I'd use it occasionally for school or couch websurfing. 6 months later It's been on almost constantly. Now the powerport is starting to show signs of fatigue (has to be 'Jiggled' to charge).

With my new job, I'll have enough for a decent (~$1000) laptop in a couple months. So I'm looking around for something TOUGH that has decent graphics for Flash etc. However everything I've seen in stores is plastic and not durable, and everything I find under "Durable" online is designed for soldiers in Iraq and costs more then I want to spend for lower stats.

So I'm looking for something "business tough" It doesn't need to stop a bullet, but stand up to usage that is a bit rough. I was considering running a MacBook (and Win7) due to the magnetic power adapter. But if there is another alternative I'd love to hear it.

RGB

Corbin Dallas
08-23-2010, 7:27 PM
Almost ALL laptops are going to have an issue if you move the power plug in and out a lot. Macs are no different, but they just end up with a bad power cord.

If you want something a little more stout, look into the HP Elitebook (used of course) series. Probook is nice, but the elitebook has an aluminum top.

dragonbait1a
08-23-2010, 7:43 PM
I don't mind replacing a power cord. But replacing a power jack is a bigger issue. None of the tougher laptops reinforce their power jacks?

Also, I prefer new electronics You never know about those used machines.

RGB

Corbin Dallas
08-23-2010, 7:48 PM
I don't mind replacing a power cord. But replacing a power jack is a bigger issue. None of the tougher laptops reinforce their power jacks?

Also, I prefer new electronics You never know about those used machines.

RGB

Some are a little stronger than others. The bigger the connector the more abuse it can take.

I buy used laptops all the time but I also make sure I know what I'm buying. I've gotten many used HP business laptops and had great results with them. I currently have 2 for sale that I've bought, cleaned up, added the OS and updated to current firmware.

I stay away from consumer grade laptops because they are not as good in my book. Business laptops are generally more expensive and can take a bit more abuse.