PDA

View Full Version : I love Windows 7, but hate doing web development on it.

ripcurlksm
08-23-2010, 2:00 PM
Ive been running Windows 7 for 10 months now maybe and I love it... Except I hate to do my web dev work on it due to admin permissions/file permissions.

Yes I am an administrator on the computer.

At first, I could not save any .php, .txt, .html, etc., etc. file unless I opened that program by right-clicking and 'Run As Administrator'. Doing this let me actually edit and save files w/o getting a 'dont have sufficient permissions' warning. So to fix this, I make a shortcut/macro to open Notepad, PHPDesigner, Dreamweaver and SmartFTP as Administrator. I now use these shortcuts to launch these programs. Now that its setup, not really an issue.

But it has been painful working since the above fix due to other permission issues. Essentially, drag and drop is shot when trying to open a file from a windowed folder and directly into Notepad/PHPDesigner/Dreamweaver/SmartFTP. If I try to drag-and-drop any .php/.html/etc. file from my project folder on my desktop to edit it in PHPDesigner, it wont let me open it. I have to go to the file menu File>Open, and navigate to the directory to open it. I cant drag and drop into FTP as well.

Yes I am an administrator on the computer.

This might seem trivial but this has really annoyed me to no end. Take away drag-and-drop and your experience changes dramatically.

Any ideas?

ocabj
08-23-2010, 2:20 PM
How about Cygwin and just use vi?

brianinca
08-23-2010, 4:22 PM
Why not disable UAC and be done with it?

Regards,
Brian in CA

Mute
08-23-2010, 5:04 PM
Why not disable UAC and be done with it?

Regards,
Brian in CA

This.

ripcurlksm
08-23-2010, 7:07 PM
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ....letmecheckitoutthx

wjc
08-23-2010, 7:20 PM
Here's the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\policies\system

set EnableLUA to 0

I also despise UAC. :D

Corbin Dallas
08-23-2010, 7:25 PM
This.

Agreed.

Click - Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings.

First thing I do on ALL my Win7 systems.

brianinca
08-23-2010, 7:36 PM
Had to do this (disable UAC) on the occasional 2008 Server, certainly something almost every Vista box required, have YET to have a Win7 box that REQUIRED UAC disabled. Nor any 2008 R2 boxes.

Old apps are the security bane of everyone, but the Vista seeded the ground for new apps to have proper security awareness.

Personally, I think the elevated shortcuts for old apps is the right way to go, but if you're in a hurry......

Regards,
Brian in CA