PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone considered taking a dent out of Rosamond?

Paul E
08-23-2010, 1:04 PM
Anyone who's been to the typical shooting place, knows that its a huge area absolutely caked with trash.

With the success of some of the other range cleanups (press/donations/etc)....would there be a chance of getting a big enough group to try to coordinate something?

The place is jam packed a lot of the time, and theres more and more trash every time I go...it feels like its only a matter of time before it gets shut down (like the kentucky shooting area in acton did a few years back.)

Anyways, just got me thinking. I'd be willing to get the ball rolling on something if there was enough real interest.

G-forceJunkie
08-23-2010, 6:30 PM
Where is this shooting place (rosamond as in north of Landcaster by Willow Springs Raceway?), and yes, I'd be up for a clean up day.

Paul E
08-24-2010, 8:53 AM
Where is this shooting place (rosamond as in north of Landcaster by Willow Springs Raceway?), and yes, I'd be up for a clean up day.

Haha, small world....its Paul from SCS (young guy, friends with John A.)

Yeah, exit as if you're going to willow, make a quick right before that first gas station and follow the side road along the 14, make a right into the turnoff that has a big rock (and I think some tires)...follow the dirt road, cant miss the huge mess. (Boats, TV's, Propane tanks, etc)

I would guess its at: 34.892533,-118.184913

But, hard to tell from google maps.

G-forceJunkie
08-24-2010, 11:03 PM
I thought it might be you, did you see my post here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=325923&highlight=newhall

I haven't shot up there before, but I would say the first thing that would need to be done is contact the BLM or whoever has jurisdiction of that area and see if they will help with the cleanup: supply trash bags, bring in a roll off dumpster, agree to haul the junk away if we bring it out to the road and pile it up, etc. Anyone know if there is a dump in the area, how far and $$$? Another thing to consider is if there are any boyscout troops in the area. They usualy need to do some sort of community service at some point, cleaning up the environment ought to earn some sort of badge or something. :)

nickvig
08-24-2010, 11:13 PM

I haven't shot up there before, but I would say the first thing that would need to be done is contact the BLM or whoever has jurisdiction of that area and see if they will help with the cleanup: supply trash bags, bring in a roll off dumpster, agree to haul the junk away if we bring it out to the road and pile it up, etc. Anyone know if there is a dump in the area, how far and $$$? Another thing to consider is if there are any boyscout troops in the area. They usualy need to do some sort of community service at some point, cleaning up the environment ought to earn some sort of badge or something. :)

Personally, I've never shot there. From what I've read here it's private land. It's been mentioned here before as Rattlesnake Road. There used to be a sign but I heard it was either ran over or taken down. Supposedly the owner doesn't mind people shooting there and goes in with a skip loader once or twice a year and cleans all the trash out. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a clean up going there at least to show the owner the patrons actually care about the place and want to help.

dr_communist
08-25-2010, 1:09 AM
i shoot up there, it is called rattlesnake road, and last time i went, it was trashed, lots of propane tanks and wood everywere. there are normally people that go out and collect brass but thats about it. it is private land and occasionally thew owner threatens to shut it down, but when he does that the place gets cleaned.

10.16mm
08-25-2010, 8:41 AM
I'll be out there on Saturday with a bunch of guys. It will be my last available Saturday for a few months as I'm helping coach my son's soccer team, but I would be willing to go out on Sundays just about any time in late September and so on.

Paul E
08-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Oh, crazy....I had no idea it was private land...I guess it makes sense though.

Good to know, I'll litter away (jkjkjk)

I guess, disregard.

Paul E
08-25-2010, 12:42 PM

Haha, thats funny. I was looking for that post but couldnt find it.

Small world, we'll have to go shoot sometime.

oakland1067
08-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah, looks pretty bad. Was up there the other day and took away a few bags after I was done, but didn't look like I put a dent, Bunch of old televisions and piles of old hulls. Make a date and I'll try and be there. I heard sundays have less pressure.

STR
09-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Never been out there before, need to check it out. I'll take a few trash bags, fill and haul them off for kicks. Sounds like it might not make a dent but it couldn't hurt.