PDA

View Full Version : What can you NOT do to a cal legal AK??

daskraut
05-07-2006, 3:25 AM
When you have a cal registered AK, is there anything that you can not do as far as mods go?(not go FA, duh!). I am so used to the whole 925 assembly of a restricted weapon bulls%#t from my SKS build that I can no longer see straight. I ask this because I put a telescopic stock on my AK.:confused:

glen avon
05-07-2006, 8:04 AM
well, you can't rob a bank with it. :D

blkA4alb
05-07-2006, 9:04 AM
If you have a registered AK, then you have a registered "assault weapon." You cannot make it any more "evil" since its an "assault weapon." Go ahead and add an evil flash hider or telescoping stock. Just remember that the barrel must be 16", and like you said, no FA :mad: . So trick it out, but IMO, keep it classic. The sks is there to make black and evil.

4pk
05-07-2006, 9:48 AM
for AW,OAL can be shorter than 30 but must meet fed's 26

xenophobe
05-07-2006, 2:52 PM

Actually, you could.

If you REALLY REALLY wanted to. :p

bg
05-07-2006, 7:08 PM
Yes I recall two guys who tried to rob a bank down
Hollywood way about 8 or so yrs back. One of the
biggest and deadliest shootouts SoCal had ever been
involved in. They were using FA AK's among other
weapons.

CALI-gula
05-07-2006, 7:15 PM
When you have a cal registered AK, is there anything that you can not do as far as mods go? ...

Yeah. You can't make it shoot as well as an AR. :D

Uh oh, what did I potentially start?

five.five-six
05-07-2006, 7:22 PM
Yes I recall two guys who tried to rob a bank down
Hollywood way about 8 or so yrs back. One of the
biggest and deadliest shootouts SoCal had ever been
involved in. They were using FA AK's among other
weapons.

not counting the to guys, how many died in that shootout 12 years ago

chris
05-07-2006, 8:12 PM
in my opinion that bank robbery is what brought us SB23. what else could have spurred the anti gunners in this state from the depths of hell?

Kevlarman
05-07-2006, 8:20 PM
not counting the to guys, how many died in that shootout 12 years ago

Nobody except the robbers died, thankfully.

Ratters
05-07-2006, 8:38 PM
Remember they still must satisfy BATF 922r regulations, that a certain number of parts must be of american origin to put a pistol grip on the weapon. I have Mak 90 and can't add a pistol grip unless I change out a certain number of parts to ones of american manufacture (I believe the magic number is 10 or thereabouts) even though it is registered with the state as an "assault weapon". FYI

grammaton76
05-08-2006, 4:14 AM
Remember they still must satisfy BATF 922r regulations, that a certain number of parts must be of american origin to put a pistol grip on the weapon. I have Mak 90 and can't add a pistol grip unless I change out a certain number of parts to ones of american manufacture (I believe the magic number is 10 or thereabouts) even though it is registered with the state as an "assault weapon". FYI

You're correct, it's 10. Compliance worksheet's down below.

http://www.thegunwiki.com/view/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Charliegone
05-08-2006, 10:11 AM
I believe the number for the ak is around 6 or 7. I believe the federal law requires you have enough US parts to stay in compliance with the "law." Since the ak has around 15 to 16 parts specific parts(and since you cannot have more than 10 imported parts) that means around 6 or 7 depending on how many parts you have on or going to have (like not all aks have muzzle devices).

artherd
05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
What if I'm real polite?

mblat
05-08-2006, 11:31 AM
What if I'm real polite?

Then you won't need the gun....:)

daskraut
05-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I am glad I bought when I did (88) and avoided all this damn hard work!!.The only thing I need for this is a long barrel in .223 , then it's done.