PDA

View Full Version : FFL transfer question.

novabrian
08-22-2010, 5:16 PM
Say I found a gun I wanted to buy in Bakersfield but I live in OC.I met the guy due to having to be there for work.We drose'd in Bakersfield.Would they send it to me after the 10 days of would it still have to go to an FFL?

rromeo
08-22-2010, 5:41 PM
It would have to shipped to an FFL, then DROSed there.

Vectrexer
08-22-2010, 5:53 PM
You would have to go sign it out of the FFL in person AFAIK.

novabrian
08-22-2010, 6:08 PM
So me meeting him in person is irrelevant other than physically seeing the gun?

dachan
08-22-2010, 6:20 PM
You said you DROS'ed in Bakersfield, that means the gun is sitting in the Bakersfield FFL's safe for the 10days jail time. You will need to return to the Bakersfield FFL after 10days, but before 30days to sign for and pick the gun.

novabrian
08-22-2010, 6:26 PM
After the 10 days they can't just ship it to me?I wont be going back to Bakersfield.

spencerhut
08-22-2010, 6:40 PM
Nope, you have to go get it.

novabrian
08-22-2010, 7:36 PM
Ok thanks.

Cokebottle
08-22-2010, 7:55 PM
So me meeting him in person is irrelevant other than physically seeing the gun?
Three options:

1 - You pay for the seller's gas to drive to OC and do the transfer there.... $35 plus gas.

2 - You do the transfer there, $35, and you have to return some time between day 10 and day 30 to pick up the gun.

3 - Seller ships to a local FFL. No extra money for gas, but depending on your local FFL, the transfer could cost $150+. Minimum is going to be $50.

tenpercentfirearms
08-23-2010, 5:37 AM
Say I found a gun I wanted to buy in Bakersfield but I live in OC.I met the guy due to having to be there for work.We drose'd in Bakersfield.Would they send it to me after the 10 days of would it still have to go to an FFL?

No, you must return in person to retrieve it and sign the paperwork. If it was a long gun, it could have been shipped to a transfer dealer in your area and you could have done everything there. If it was a rostered pistol you could have done the same thing. If it was a non-rostered handgun, you would have had to do a PPT somewhere.

If you have already started it, then you are heading back up to Bakersfield or you can forfeit your $35 and pay to have them ship it to another FFL for transfer. Again, this is only if it is a long gun or a rostered handgun.