PDA

View Full Version : Stampede Shooting Area Cleanup

powderedtoastman
08-20-2010, 9:07 AM
OK. So I went with a couple buddies to check out Stampede shooting area off I-80/Hirshdale road East of Truckee. This place is a dump. TV's, couches, miscellaneous crap strewn about everywhere. Has anybody else been out there? We need to organize a cleanup soon. I'm thinking before winter arrives at least. Thoughts?

frankDmole
08-20-2010, 9:29 AM
PM me in advanced for a Sat or Sunday I have a truck.

GrizzlyGuy
08-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Are you talking about the one that is on Tahoe National Forest land across the road from Boca Reservoir (near the dam) and behind a locked gate (you can check out a key at the Truckee ranger station or pay $50 to the club to get your own)? Or somewhere further down that road by Stampede Reservoir?

I'm in Truckee but haven't been to that one yet as there are many other unofficial places to go that are closer to my house. Wherever this is, PM when you are ready to do the clean-up as I can probably make it out to help.

CSACANNONEER
08-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I have not seen one around Stampede. I've shot at Boca several times when I've been in the area. I've also shot at an open area just behind Prosser. I tried to take out more than I bring in every time I'm up there. Can you post a googlearth link to the exact spot? Although it does not look like I'll get up there this summer, I'll probably be up for helping out next year.

powderedtoastman
08-20-2010, 2:03 PM
Thanks for the responses folks. The actual spot is right next to Boca Reservoir, but it's called Stampede Shooting Area. I'm thinking September 18th would be a good day. It's 4 weeks away, and deer season won't open until the weekend after that, so maybe that'll help us get more people to this. Here is a link to the approximate spot of the range. I will be at the range tomorrow(Sat. the 21st) in the afternoon to sight in my A2, and will take some pictures to better prepare for the attack. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.39989,-120.080996&num=1&sll=39.401162,-120.098296&sspn=0.034492,0.06403&ie=UTF8&ll=39.400188,-120.084815&spn=0.024275,0.038409&z=15

Rigma
08-20-2010, 10:15 PM
PM me in advanced for a Sat or Sunday I have a truck.

Same here. Just let me know if I can drive my car to save $ on gas or if I need the truck to haul trash out or get in there!

GrizzlyGuy
08-22-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm thinking September 18th would be a good day. It's 4 weeks away, and deer season won't open until the weekend after that, so maybe that'll help us get more people to this.

Rats, that's the one weekend when I'm planning to be out of town. :(

I could swing by a few days earlier and bag or box up the small stuff for you guys to haul out, if you think that will help.

powderedtoastman
08-29-2010, 2:43 PM
OK, sorry for being MIA on this cleanup! The 18th just for me is the only weekend I have free between now and November. Grizzly, if you could box/bag up some of the small crap that'd be outstanding. The only real big stuff out there is a demolished couch, a TV, and a ton of other random small garbage. I'll go ahead and set the date for the 18th. Much appreciated Grizz, and I think two trucks will be able to haul out the vast majority of the crap. Rigma, a car will be fine. EDIT: I'll definitely checkout a key from the ranger station so we don't have to drive all the way around the back!

chrisw
08-29-2010, 3:19 PM
Wait....so this IS the place the Truckee Sportsmans Association has the keys for?

powderedtoastman
08-29-2010, 5:13 PM
I'm not sure if it is the Truckee Sportsmans Association, but you can check out a key from the Ranger's Station in Truckee. If there is a club that is responsible for this range, they are NOT maintaining it at all.

chrisw
08-29-2010, 5:25 PM
That's why I was asking. I have a card in my wallet I had gotten from the ranger station, the last time I had checked out a key for that gate. I had to sign some paperwork and (I think) pay a fee. The card says Truckee Sportsman Association on it and iirc supposedly they "maintain" that spot.

powderedtoastman
09-07-2010, 9:09 AM
Well gents, it seems several folks aren't going to be available for the 18th. Just for me, that's the only weekend I'll be free before winter sets in. A couple folks said they'll be able to start the cleanup earlier that week, allowing the rest of us to simply haul off all the collected garbage. This is very generous and helpful, thanks! So if anybody is available for the 18th, sound off and let me know. I'll be there the afternoon/evening of the 17th as well as the 18th with my full size truck to haul off any collected garbage and/or collect and haul off garbage.

ramboman1
09-14-2010, 7:31 PM
Put me down to haul out some bags/boxes, I've never been out there but I would like to check it out. I'll bring my truck and can take whatever is still there on Sunday afternoon/evening

GrizzlyGuy
09-15-2010, 5:15 PM
I headed over today to take a shot at the 2nd shooting area from the entrance, as it appeared to be the most trashed. Before:

http://grizzlyguy.smugmug.com/Other/Boca-Shooting-Area-Cleanup/BocaShootingAreaBeforeCleanup0/1009231805_u4DiJ-L.jpg

http://grizzlyguy.smugmug.com/Other/Boca-Shooting-Area-Cleanup/BocaShootingAreaBeforeCleanup0/1009232285_7g9w2-L.jpg

{continued next post...}

GrizzlyGuy
09-15-2010, 5:15 PM
After:

http://grizzlyguy.smugmug.com/Other/Boca-Shooting-Area-Cleanup/BocaShootingAreaAfterCleanup02/1009228730_GHj4H-L.jpg

http://grizzlyguy.smugmug.com/Other/Boca-Shooting-Area-Cleanup/BocaShootingAreaAfterCleanup07/1009230981_8iWWa-L.jpg

http://grizzlyguy.smugmug.com/Other/Boca-Shooting-Area-Cleanup/BocaShootingAreaAfterCleanup06/1009230533_Myb9k-L.jpg

http://grizzlyguy.smugmug.com/Other/Boca-Shooting-Area-Cleanup/BocaShootingAreaAfterCleanup04/1009229631_rekye-L.jpg

It still isn't clean, but I think it looks a lot better than it did. :)

I couldn't head all the way downrange as someone showed up and starting shooting in the area to the left (the first area on your way in). Whoever hauls the bags should be careful: broken glass, sharp chunks of metal, etc. is mixed in with the casings, hulls and trash. The pile of old wood is super-splintery so gloves would be a must.

As I was picking up the trash, a sheriff's office SWAT team member stopped by to chat as he was on his way down to the rifle area to meet up with some fellow SWAT guys for practice. It turned out that this guy was the team sharpshooter and had basically the same rifle as me. Naturally this lead to much BS-ing about precision shooting, and I got to hear some cool 'war stories'. So, I was a slacker for maybe 1/2 hour doing that, please don't fire me! :D

powderedtoastman
09-16-2010, 9:11 AM
Grizz, that is some awsome work. Frank will be out there in the morning, and it looks like I might have to be there around noon-1pmish. Rambo if you can pm me your phone number I'll give you a call if there's anything Frank and I can't haul off on Saturday. I apologize for this being less than completely organized. Having mediocre health isn't fun at all. Once again, thanks Grizz, and Frank and I and possibly Ramboman will do whatever else is left!

powderedtoastman
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
UPDATE: The ranger's station stopped checking out keys the Friday before this cleanup, and won't tell me exactly why but they still aren't checking them out. As soon as I can find my USGS maps and get a free weekend, I plan on finding the back way into the range to bypass the gate. I see people driving it all the time, but can't find the road! This isn't over yet, but I take it upon myself to get those bags out of there before winter!

GrizzlyGuy
10-05-2010, 2:14 PM
UPDATE: The ranger's station stopped checking out keys the Friday before this cleanup, and won't tell me exactly why but they still aren't checking them out. As soon as I can find my USGS maps and get a free weekend, I plan on finding the back way into the range to bypass the gate. I see people driving it all the time, but can't find the road! This isn't over yet, but I take it upon myself to get those bags out of there before winter!

Wow, that's weird. Maybe I'll call them and see if they'll tell me why they stopped checking out the keys. That area is supposed to be open until 10/15 when it closes for the season.

Thipdar
11-07-2010, 6:01 PM
Hi, Folks:

I was there yesterday (Nov. 6th, 2010).

My friend and I drove up from the Bay Area for the day, checked out a key at the Ranger's Station, went to Cabella's in Verdi to get some things we hadn't packed along, then went to the range.

The Cops were already there, a couple of cars of Truckee Police and someone else, maybe their Armorer. We left them to their part of the range and set up closer to the gate.

It didn't look too much like a dump, but those 4 black bags of trash shown in the pictures above are still there. I'd have hauled them out, but I didn't bring the truck, just the sedan (and it was loaded with gear as it was).

I was surprised to learn that the range is only open seasonally (May 15th to October 15th). Fortunately, since the snow has held off somewhat this season, they hadn't exactly closed it for the winter just yet. It's too bad that they close the range, I think itíd be awesome to shoot there in winter conditions.

My buddy's new .45 frustrated him by jamming repeatedly, and I learned that the trick of tossing a clay pigeon into the air and shooting it with a shotgun isn't nearly as easy as it looks. The only one I broke with the shotgun was one my buddy threw out for me. I did manage to hit several with the .22, out about 50 yards or so, while they were resting on the downed tree.

The new clay pigeon tosser blew out my shoulder (the one I damaged a year ago), but not until after I'd sent one out about 400 yards. If I'd have thought about it in time, I'd have tried to sail one over the hill to where the Cops were shooting. I'd have claimed that the launcher misfired :D

It was nice to be able to rapid-fire my shotgun (that's something I'd get yelled at for if I did it at our local ranges) and to wear my .357 without having anyone complain.

We finally wrapped things up and turned the key in, then went into town and got a parking ticket while having a drink or two. It was worth the cost of a parking ticket to watch Mona jiggle while she shook up a margarita for my buddy. Next time, I think I'll just give HER the $38.

Thinking back on the whole thing, I'd have been a lot better off driving the truck up there, because my sedan doesn't have a tailgate - and a tailgate would have been of extreme help. Come to think of it, a portable table, some camp chairs and maybe a portable awning would have also been useful. I'm used to shooting from a bench - I guess I'm spoiled.

I'd have spent the night somewhere nearby, but I had to get back in order to help some BSA types take down a pine tree at a local Masonic center. Taking down the pine tree got postponed today, due to rain. That same rain is supposed to be snow at the range tonight, and I expect that the Rangers will close the range soon. It would sure be really good if someone could take those bags out before they get snowed in and stay there until Spring.

By all means, let me know the next time thereís a clean-up. Iíll do it if I can work it into my schedule. Of course, Iíd use it as an excuse to litter the place again with target confetti, used brass and spent shotgun shells!

Thipdar
11-07-2010, 6:03 PM

Have yo tried following the road via a satellite view on Google Maps?

powderedtoastman
11-07-2010, 7:27 PM
Have yo tried following the road via a satellite view on Google Maps?
LOL, I did try that about 3 weeks ago, but I ended up on the gnarly dirt road that goes down into Veri and blew out a tire.:mad: Can you post/send me a map that shows the back way in? If I can convince my girlfriend to head to the cabin with me, I'd like to pick up those bags. The reason it didn't look too much like a dump is because of Grizz!:D