PDA

View Full Version : New guy in SD from VA

myclejay
08-19-2010, 11:28 PM
New guy here from VA moved out to SD for new job and all I gotta say is WTF is up with Cali's gun laws?? I knew this was a liberal state but come on. I had to sell my AK and leave my M4 with my brother. Oh well...job is worth it so can't complain too much.

Anyway, question...I still have a couple of firearms I brought with memaking a complete assumption that they were good to go but wanted to make sure. I have a Mossberg 500 pistol grip shotgun, Kimber Ultra Carry II and an HK USP Compact with TLR 3(I mention this because I know how CA likes to shake their fingers at anything tactical...or so it seems). A friend of mine, from GA, was mentioning that the shotgun is not legal but wanted to get some real-time intel. Can I keep this...legally?

Also, being from VA you can get a CCW permit just as easily as signing up for a Blockbuster Video card. How hard is it to get a CCW permit in the good ol state of Cali?

Thanks in advance.:D

M

jshoebot
08-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Welcome to SD!

Your shotgun is good to go as long as the barrel is over 18.5" and the overall length is over 26". With your handguns, the state wants you to register them within 30 days. Not sure if it's required, somebody else will be able to answer that for you.

It is VERY unlikely that you'll be able to get a CCW in San Diego County, unless you make a sizeable donation to Sheriff Gore for his next campaign.

Again, welcome! :D

NaughtyMonkey
08-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the forums. And California.

bsg
08-20-2010, 8:21 AM
welcome to the forum.

Colt-45
08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Should have stayed in Virginia.

Welcome to Calguns.

BayAreaShooter
08-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Should have stayed in Virginia.

Welcome to Calguns.

+1.
I hope your job is really worth it. In SD you will not get a CCW. Sorry.

Rockhound
08-20-2010, 2:38 PM
Welcome to the peoples republic of kalifornia

Vlad 11
08-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Welcome to Calguns. You've found the right place. I cant answer all your questions, but sure as heck youll find someone here who knows what you need to know . Have fun browsing and asking questions. Good luck navigating our screwy gun laws.

Digital_Boy
08-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Welcome to the madhouse! :D

Your pistols are fine, just need to file a voluntary registration form for them, and fork over $19 a pop for the privilege of telling the state you have them.

the shotgun is fine. the "assault weapon" laws only apply to semi-auto shotguns with detachable magazines or revolving cylinders. pump actions are neither specified by name or feature. only issue with pumps is barrel length, which is NFA and BATF territory, not CADOJ.