PDA

View Full Version : program needed to move files from one drive to another????

Marlin Hunter
08-19-2010, 7:03 PM
Hello

I am looking for a (free/shareware/public domain) computer program to move program files from one disk drive partition to another on a Windows XP system. I want to move an entire program and all its files from C drive to H drive, and still work when I click on the program icon. There was a program available about 10 years ago from Quarterdeck called Clean Sweep that would do it, but it is no longer available and I doubt it would run on the newer XP OS. Norton/Symantec has a clean sweep program but it isn't the same thing. I looked on the Filehippo website, but couldn't find anything. A file backup program will not do what I want. Any suggestions? I don't want to uninstall and reinstall the program on teh new drive. The newer H drive will be an external USB hard disk.

Thanks

Corbin Dallas
08-19-2010, 7:31 PM
I think I understand what you want, but there is no way I know of to move an installed program from PC (A) to PC (B) without reinstallation.

There are registry entries that are modified when you install or remove a program and unless you know each and every entry, you're just better off re-installing in the new system.

Also, the registry and system files have pointers to where the folder "should" be. Since your old PC (A) was probably installed in the "C" driver and you want to move it all to the "H" drive, you would also need to modify each and every entry in the registry and system so the new system PC (B) knows where to look for the programs.

Lyte-
08-19-2010, 7:31 PM
what he said

bigmike82
08-19-2010, 7:43 PM
If you're trying to free up space...

This may work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

Marlin Hunter
08-20-2010, 8:37 AM
I think I understand what you want, but there is no way I know of to move an installed program from PC (A) to PC (B) without reinstallation.

There are registry entries that are modified when you install or remove a program and unless you know each and every entry, you're just better off re-installing in the new system.

Also, the registry and system files have pointers to where the folder "should" be. Since your old PC (A) was probably installed in the "C" driver and you want to move it all to the "H" drive, you would also need to modify each and every entry in the registry and system so the new system PC (B) knows where to look for the programs.

The Quarterdeck Clean Sweep program would do that for Windows 95. You could archive an entire program, remove it from your computer, then reinstall it. It actually worked. I had it on an old 486 system. I don't think the old program will work on the XP and newer systems. The newer Operating Systems must be different and more complex than the older OS.

here is the old program ("Move Wizard" it allows moving programs between drives or to a new folder. The "Transport Wizard" helps in moving programs across computers)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterdeck_CleanSweep