PDA

View Full Version : 1911 vs Springfield XDm

The Bean
08-19-2010, 4:02 PM
Hey everyone... I'm new to this forum and I needed your all's advice...

So I'm not quite 21 yet, but am trying to prepare well for it. I don't own a handgun yet, but I do own a Springfield M1A... Which I LOVE!!! and was hoping to purchase a handgun by Springfield as well, hoping to get the same kind of quality as the M1A.

So i was wanting to get all your opinions on both the Springfield XDm, and the 1911. Which is more reliable, and/or more accurate. I have never shot either, but am hoping to sometime soon.

Thanks!

kf6tac
08-19-2010, 6:09 PM
I don't have an XD(m), but I've got an XD and a Springfield Loaded 1911. Honestly, I can't even compare the two. I mean, they're both handguns, but when I shoot them, they definitely feel like completely different animals. I love the trigger pull on the 1911, it puts the XD trigger (factory with no modes) to shame. Accuracy... I shoot about the same on both, but it's safe to say that I won't outshoot either of those guns anytime soon.

One thing to note about the XD(m) is that it's not on the roster of CA approved handguns, meaning the only way you'll be able to get one is through a PPT from someone else who already owns one.

C.W.M.V.
08-19-2010, 6:47 PM
The shop I work at gets so many calls for XDM's. People can't believe its not on the list.

pyro3k2
08-19-2010, 6:58 PM
XDM's are not approved for sales in CA

on a side note

1911 or nothing!!!1!

t0kie
08-19-2010, 7:53 PM
1911 is a must have, it's classic.
________
Buy Glass Pipes (http://glasspipes.net/)

The Bean
08-20-2010, 7:05 AM
I don't have an XD(m), but I've got an XD and a Springfield Loaded 1911. Honestly, I can't even compare the two. I mean, they're both handguns, but when I shoot them, they definitely feel like completely different animals. I love the trigger pull on the 1911, it puts the XD trigger (factory with no modes) to shame. Accuracy... I shoot about the same on both, but it's safe to say that I won't outshoot either of those guns anytime soon.

One thing to note about the XD(m) is that it's not on the roster of CA approved handguns, meaning the only way you'll be able to get one is through a PPT from someone else who already owns one.

Thanks! yeah i don't know too much about either, to decide... does anyone know about how much a 1911 goes for? Springfield Armory, or Colt?

pyro3k2
08-20-2010, 9:52 PM
Thanks! yeah i don't know too much about either, to decide... does anyone know about how much a 1911 goes for? Springfield Armory, or Colt?

I can't remember where I heard this but, "If it's not a Colt it's a clone."

bsg
08-20-2010, 10:03 PM
since you are doing your research now... check out a variety of options; include the older w german/german Sig P220 .45 ACP in your research....

welcome to the forum.

hefedehefe
08-21-2010, 1:46 AM
XD's are way more reliable. 1911's love to jam

C.W.M.V.
08-21-2010, 7:15 AM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...so what's the weather like on the planet you live on?
I kid I kid, but seriously that's straight up FUD. I have many thousands of rounds through my 2 RIA's. Not one malfunction yet. Hell on Sunday I ran 500 rounds through em without any cleaning/lube and they worked fine. My other 1911's have had similar reliability. If your 1911 really jams a lot you need to have a smith look over your weapon. They aren't popular because they don't work.

sirgiles
08-21-2010, 8:27 AM
1911 loves jam?
send your 1911 to a gunsmith.

Chief-7700
08-21-2010, 8:49 AM
XD's are way more reliable. 1911's love to jam

Really! After shooting a 1911 for more that 30 years had a few jams just like any other auto will.

hefedehefe
08-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Maybe just my luck. I was really excited and about getting a 1911 once and went and tried shooting a few. Tried the G.I., Springfields and 2 Kimbers that were pretty much new and all jammed on me. So I ended up really liking the XD 45. It never jammed and shot reaally nice. Sometime I wish I bought the XD45 instead of the 40. But I'll try the 1911 again next time I go to the range ;)

The Bean
08-23-2010, 8:57 AM
since you are doing your research now... check out a variety of options; include the older w german/german Sig P220 .45 ACP in your research....

welcome to the forum.

Thanks, will do! I'm going to the range in a few days, and i think my buddy's got a sig i can try out.

The Bean
08-23-2010, 9:01 AM
I can't remember where I heard this but, "If it's not a Colt it's a clone."

So... Do you know if there's any downside to a Springfield rather than a Colt? Like are they less reliable? I have heard they're cheaper, but i just thought that was cause it wasn't Colt.

Operator
08-23-2010, 10:41 AM
I have an XD sub compact and a TRP Operator (1911 Clone) I've had Sig's, and Kimbers. And I think it should come down to your budget. I paid $400.00 for my XD, it is not an "M" but I love it. I carry it every day (...till my PF-9 get out of CA gun jail.) It shoots wonderfully, it's not jammed on me once, in the 500 rounds I have put throught it.

My 1911 is my baby. First hand gun I fell in love with. I love the way it looks, shoots, and never lets me down. But it cost me $1,600.00 I'm not saying you have to spend that much to be happy, I just really like my gun. Mil-spec will be the cheapest way to get a 1911. Doesn't have to be a Colt, there aren't very many brands that are "bad" but there are some that are better than others. But it's all opinion, and so that I don't offend anyone I will keep mine to myself.

The idea that it has to be a Colt bothers me a bit. The design comes from John M Browning, a gun designer, more than a gun manufactuer. He liked to design and make guns and license or sell the designs. Infact many of Winchesters early rifle designs came from browning. Over the years Colt made most of the military's 1911's, and they get most of the respect for the craftsmanship, and it's well deserved. But over that time, many other company's built 1911's for the military too, I can't remember them all but I'm pretty sure Springfield was one of them.

I like springfields, so I would tell you to go with one of those, Prices will vary. But I don't imagine you getting one new for less the $700-$750
Used is a fine way to go, sometimes you can get a good deal, and as long as the round count is fairly low you won't wear it out.
Use quality ammo and you won't have anny "jam" issues with either gun. In fact the only gun I have seen where jamming is a issue with the gun and not the ammo is a "Hi-Point."

re: the Sig P220 in .25 great gun! this is the gun that convinced me that i wanted a .45 I thoght a 45 would knock my socks off. This sig was so smooth, and nice to shoot. The only reason I didn't buy one is that I fell in love with my TRP Operator.

Good luck.

jlh95811
08-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Accuracy: 1911
Reliability: XDm
Paper Weight: Glock..... Just kidding fellas.

1911's can get quite expensive especially since there is so much aftermarket stuff for them.

You want frills? It's all about what the intended purpose will be. If it is for combat usage go XDm. If it's for target shooting go 1911.

MarCay08
08-23-2010, 11:43 AM
So i was wanting to get all your opinions on both the Springfield XDm, and the 1911. Which is more reliable, and/or more accurate. I have never shot either, but am hoping to sometime soon.

I've shot both. even an entry level springfield 1911 was good, I own one just because "everyone should get one". Trigger pull needs work (that should be the next thing I do to it) The xdm .40 I shot was off the hook!! Accurate and trigger was fine with me. I picked up my xdm .40 yesterday but I havent had the chance to shoot it..

oh and by the way, the guy above me sold me my xdm 40... thanks bro..

jlh95811
08-23-2010, 12:11 PM
You better get to shootin bro. I get to pick up my XDm45 tomorrow. I'm headed up to Oroville Wednesday or Thursday to pop it's cherry.

Cochise82
08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
The XD series are awesomely reliable guns. 1911s are awesomely manly guns.

Tactial purposes I would go with XD series

Macho purposes I would go with 1911

I have both ;)

hefedehefe
08-23-2010, 12:46 PM
XD45'S ARE GREAT

jlh95811
08-23-2010, 2:13 PM
I was under impression that only way to get non-CA approved gun in CA was to have your Father/Mother or Grandfather/Grandmother residing in another state transfer ownership to you. Do I have this wrong?

Yes.
You can purchase it from a party who is exempt from the roster. (Law Enforcement cause they are better than us civis)
Also there are things that can be done but I won't get into that as I'm no expert.