PDA

View Full Version : Is this legit?

Cochise82
08-19-2010, 1:03 PM
Can I start a PPT DROS on Tuesday, and then on Thursday start another PPT DROS with a different seller?

ke6guj
08-19-2010, 1:08 PM
Yes, it is legit, unless you do it in the city of LA, and both PPTs are handguns, then LA's one-handgun-a-month rule kicks in.

Cochise82
08-19-2010, 1:11 PM
I know that there is a state wide one handgun a month for guns purchased from a retailer, right? Either way, one is a handgun and one is a shotgun.

What's worse than waiting 10 days to break your baby out of jail? Having to wait to rescue your second baby a week later. :ack2:

ghost
08-19-2010, 1:35 PM
you cant ppt as much as you want as a buyer.if youre a seller you cant ppt/sell more than 6 handguns in a year.more than that you'll be considered a dealer and you'll need a ffl.

Cochise82
08-19-2010, 1:40 PM
you cant ppt as much as you want as a buyer.if youre a seller you cant ppt/sell more than 6 handguns in a year.more than that you'll be considered a dealer and you'll need a ffl.

did you mean to say "you CAN ppt as much as you want as a buyer"?

Droc101
08-19-2010, 1:50 PM

Where is this information? I have not heard of that before. Especially because you are transferring through an FFL so why would you need to get one if you are using one.

SupraMiggs
08-19-2010, 1:52 PM

Yup.

Droc101
08-19-2010, 1:56 PM
again where is the penal code stating that you need an FFL in order to transfer possession of more than 6 handguns? I just scoured 12082 and have not found anything talking about a specific limit on how many you are allowed to transfer (LA not included)

djleisure
08-19-2010, 1:59 PM
Where is this information? I have not heard of that before. Especially because you are transferring through an FFL so why would you need to get one if you are using one.
I'm sure there are people that end up selling more than 6 handguns in a year (like selling collections and such) but technically this could draw attention to you and could be deemed illegal activity.

Here's the relevant PC:

12070. (a) No person shall sell, lease, or transfer firearms unless he or she has been issued a license pursuant to Section 12071. Any person violating this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not include any of the following:
(4) The infrequent sale, lease, or transfer of firearms.
(c)(1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, less than six transactions per calendar year. For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or transfer of any number of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person.
(B) For firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, occasional and without regularity.

Droc101
08-19-2010, 2:03 PM
thats six transactions. not six handguns. a PPT can have multiple handguns per transaction.

Droc101
08-19-2010, 2:05 PM
A) For handguns, less than six transactions per calendar year.
For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or
transfer of any number of handguns. from 12070

djleisure
08-19-2010, 2:06 PM
thats six transactions. not six handguns. a PPT can have multiple handguns per transaction.
yep

Cochise82
08-19-2010, 2:12 PM
Well it looks like I'm worry free since I'm the buyer, right? Thanks guys