PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome is GARBAGE.

m1aowner
08-19-2010, 10:11 AM
I like it, but consistent broken links and flash loading problems is really irritating. Have tried it with XP, VISTA and 7. Always the same problems.

And what's weird, when I encounter a "broken link" with Chrome, I immediately bring up the link with FireFox, then go back to Chrome and it works after loading the link with FireFox?

I expect better from Skynet. You've been uninstalled!

Rekrab
08-19-2010, 10:22 AM
o.O

Weird, I've never had a single problem with it.

POLICESTATE
08-19-2010, 10:24 AM
It's bad enough google collects mountains of data with their tools everybody puts on their web pages, I'm not about to use their web browser too.

Casual_Shooter
08-19-2010, 11:10 AM
It's bad enough google collects mountains of data with their tools everybody puts on their web pages, I'm not about to use their web browser too.

It may be :TFH:, but I'm with you. Although using any open source programs (like Firefox) makes me wonder who's watching whom.

cpt_majestic
08-19-2010, 11:32 AM
It's the first thing I uninstall when I get a new Dell

Mac Attack
08-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I have been using Chrome for over over a year now and I like it very much. I do see occasion issues where the apps are not supported. It beats the pants of the I.E. and is similar to FF or Safari.

POLICESTATE
08-19-2010, 11:42 AM
It may be :TFH:, but I'm with you. Although using any open source programs (like Firefox) makes me wonder who's watching whom.

:TFH: aside, privacy in the modern age is not a stupid thing. Once information goes into a database it never leaves and as well all know marketing and sales types are always looking for ways to utilize that data, including by selling it to other marketing and sales types.

0x80884
08-19-2010, 12:19 PM
:TFH: aside, privacy in the modern age is not a stupid thing. Once information goes into a database it never leaves and as well all know marketing and sales types are always looking for ways to utilize that data, including by selling it to other marketing and sales types.

That's the tough part. What one company sees as "simple marketing data" others can use the exact same information for other, sometimes malicious purposes. You're spot on about once it's inside of a database. With how cheap it is to buy storage, there's no reason to delete market information for large companies.

I like Chrome now and again, but I use Firefox primarily.

Look into Adblock Plus (http://adblockplus.org/en/), No Script (http://noscript.net/), and Better Privacy (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623/) so at least when you do visit sites, you don't cross-pollinate your previous browsing histories with new sites that'll take advantage of it

ocabj
08-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Just because you use stuff to block google analytics, it's not going to stop basic user information from being collected.

I have google analytics enabled on my sites, but I also run webalyzer and awstats against my apache logs. So I pretty much get the same data on visitors. Every other commercial site out there is pretty much aggregating data through various methods and vectors. So if you're afraid of google, then by all means run the various privacy apps/plugins for your browser.

But to think information isn't being collected by the site you're visiting is naive.

choprzrul
08-19-2010, 1:03 PM
OPERA

Nothing else come close imho.

POLICESTATE
08-19-2010, 1:05 PM
For the truly privacy-minded individuals there is always the option of a VPS in a foreign country. Of course such things come at a price.

Invicta
08-19-2010, 1:37 PM
I like it, but consistent broken links and flash loading problems is really irritating. Have tried it with XP, VISTA and 7. Always the same problems.

And what's weird, when I encounter a "broken link" with Chrome, I immediately bring up the link with FireFox, then go back to Chrome and it works after loading the link with FireFox?

I expect better from Skynet. You've been uninstalled!

Could not disagree more.......

Check out http://www.chromeplus.org/ with a built-in IEtab switcher. That might resolve your link issue. There are a lot of poorly coded sites out there....

Rekrab
08-19-2010, 3:16 PM
Yeah, the majority of problems you'll experience on Chrome are a result of sloppy code. IE is so forgiving of poorly run code that some developers never bother to write clean code. I use the IE tab extension on my google chrome whenever I have problems with a website, or I pop it open in Firefox.

sandman21
08-19-2010, 6:43 PM
I hate Firefox nothing but issues for me I use opera.

den888
08-19-2010, 7:00 PM
I agree, I have horrible experiences with Google Chrome and the best with Firefox. I have XP, Vista and Windows 7 PC's.

JDay
08-19-2010, 11:19 PM

No big deal, just run this and the browsers unique ID will be replaced with a null value, effectively disabling Googles tracking.

http://www.abelssoft.net/unchrome.php

AlliedArmory
08-19-2010, 11:53 PM
While Chrome has so many broken links etc, it is definitely the fastest browser. Firefox has tons of features, but is slow as heck.

When I get broken links from Chrome, I just reload the page and everything usually pops up.

lehn20
08-20-2010, 4:40 AM
Uhh Snap!

locosway
08-20-2010, 5:32 AM
I've been using Chrome for some time, and I haven't had any issues with it. I like how it's more minimalist than FF. IE is not an option as I run Linux. The other nice thing about Chrome is it's HTML5 support. No other browser supports HTML5 in respect to video out of the box, this reduces my dependence on Flash, which I hate.

JDay
08-20-2010, 4:42 PM
The other nice thing about Chrome is it's HTML5 support. No other browser supports HTML5 in respect to video out of the box, this reduces my dependence on Flash, which I hate.

In Firefox go to (about:config), change the value of (html5.enable) from (False) to (True), enjoy html5.

locosway
08-20-2010, 7:59 PM
Firefox doesn't have H.264 support, and that's what encoding everyone is using right now instead of WebM.

SnWnMe
08-20-2010, 8:29 PM
It crashes when I ask it to display images of anything I just googled and all links returned from searches do not work. It is fast though.

tuolumnejim
08-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah I tried it when it came out for around five minutes then uninstalled, it was horrible.

Mute
08-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Been using Chrome for over a year. Not a single problem. And it doesn't hog memory the way Firefox does.

yellowsulphur
08-24-2010, 7:17 PM
I like the way Chrome handles movies on dual diaplays otherwise I like Firefox. The DNS prefetch tends to goof things up for me.

stormy_clothing
08-27-2010, 9:40 AM

and the difference between them and your cellphone company, bank or the irs is ?

I joke that Google is probably a front for the NSA and not just because they bought Keyhole but that just makes it more efficient as they dont have to pay apple for your data they already have it.

hybridatsun350
08-27-2010, 9:49 AM
I can see the advantages of Chrome on a PC running Windows, but I saw nothing in Chrome that gave me a reason to move from Safari.

Alaric
08-31-2010, 3:35 PM
Been using Chrome for over a year. Not a single problem. And it doesn't hog memory the way Firefox does.

+1, same here.

Firefox seems to have a memory leak that makes it hog system resources after being left up for hours/days at a time.