PDA

View Full Version : Burglury in progress....But safety 1st

Calgunz420
08-18-2010, 6:11 PM
Worse case scenario, your Laying in bed and some robbers come in do you really have time to put on your ear plugs And safety glasses? Or do you really have time to open your "safety" safe and your "safety" locks? Have you ever shot at or misfired your HD weapon at home without plugs?I'm sure it's something nobody would like to experience.

Camsnappersc
08-18-2010, 6:32 PM
Well first off, NO! Dont worry about plugs and glasses. Your adrenaline will be pumping so hard you wont even notice the shot if you have to shoot.

As far as this

"Have you ever shot at or misfired your HD weapon at home without plugs?"

That would be a pretty big screw up.
I have shot my home defense weapons without plugs before, and it is not pleasant. Especially the pistol.

Nick

Hoologan
08-18-2010, 6:35 PM
LOL

Exile Machine
08-18-2010, 6:42 PM
No ears, no eyes. Don't even put on your shorts if you sleep in the buff.
Stop the attack first.

-Mark

BlackDrop50
08-18-2010, 6:51 PM
It's alright. The ringing/buzzing might go away soon, maybe not.

Experimentalist
08-18-2010, 7:09 PM
I've been told that discharge of a long gun in the confines of a house will cause permanent hearing damage.

Handguns less so.

Some advocate keeping a pair of electronic earmuffs with your HD shotgun. It takes a moment to don them. Otherwise, protect yourself first.

Cyc Wid It
08-18-2010, 7:25 PM
You know in a life or death situation, you could probably accept some hearing loss. I always wondered though for the people who use an AR or other long gun for home defense... imagine shooting one of those in a narrow hallway of your house with no ear pro.

Calgunz420
08-18-2010, 7:32 PM
That's what I'm talking about you may stop the perp but at the same time there's that possibility of going deaf cause if I had to pop a round or 2 in my room it wouldn't be fun....

xibunkrlilkidsx
08-18-2010, 7:48 PM
yes it would suck and you would have one hell of a headache. but your alive.

robcoe
08-18-2010, 7:51 PM
I would rather be alive to learn to use a hearing aid.

That being said, I do keep a pair of ear plugs on the desk next to the shotgun on the off chance I have the time to put one or both of them in.

RTE
08-18-2010, 7:58 PM
I shoot the last 10 rounds without ears....
Just as a reminder.
No flinching when the pistol goes Bang.

dw33b
08-18-2010, 8:02 PM
This is why suppressor should be legal for Health & Safety Reasons. ;)

Rogerbutthead
08-18-2010, 8:03 PM
Ah, wouldn't putting on plugs hurt your chances of hearing someone say their names, like your kids or the police?

I would not put them on just so I could hear what may change my mind about shooting.

Caiden07
08-18-2010, 8:08 PM
Well first off, NO! Dont worry about plugs and glasses. Your adrenaline will be pumping so hard you wont even notice the shot if you have to shoot.

As far as this

"Have you ever shot at or misfired your HD weapon at home without plugs?"

That would be a pretty big screw up.
I have shot my home defense weapons without plugs before, and it is not pleasant. Especially the pistol.

Nick

I have never been to a situation like this but is it really true about the adrenaline rush shuts down the sensitivity of your hearing?

scoot64
08-18-2010, 8:13 PM
Loud concerts and stadiums cause permanent hearing damage too, So don't worry about it and take down the perp.

CSACANNONEER
08-18-2010, 8:13 PM
My hearing is already going and I would put glasses on to positively identify my targets.

bellwilliam
08-18-2010, 8:22 PM
this brings up the issue of ammo and caliber choices. which caliber / ammo is more ear friendly ?

SJgunguy24
08-18-2010, 8:29 PM
Worse case scenario, your Laying in bed and some robbers come in do you really have time to put on your ear plugs And safety glasses?
At that moment, my eyes and ears are the least of my concern. My families safety and the security of my home is what I'm worried about. Condition Red

Or do you really have time to open your "safety" safe and your "safety" locks?
You have already failed. A gun is useless if you don't have one ready at the moment you need it.

Have you ever shot at or misfired your HD weapon at home without plugs?I'm sure it's something nobody would like to experience.

No, but I have shot guns without ear pro before, it rings but I work in construction so my ears get punished anyway.

robcoe
08-18-2010, 8:30 PM
this brings up the issue of ammo and caliber choices. which caliber / ammo is more ear friendly ?

Well, if you can get it and a gun to shoot it the 7.62x41mm for the PSS is probably the most ear friendly. Other than that they all beat you up.

Rob454
08-18-2010, 8:36 PM
At night my gun is basically ready to go. No farting around with locks or keys etc. rack the slide and its ready. Ive shot guns without ear protection to see how loud it was.( one shot) the only one that was not "loud" was my buddys 22. and even that I dont wanna shoot more than a few times.99.99% of the time I( wear ear protection but for that .01% of the time that i cant ( life/family in danger) Im not gonna worry about hearing loss. Stopping the threat would be my #1 concern.

thevic
08-18-2010, 8:41 PM
ive shot my ar15 with a pws fsc556(the loud break) without plugs. it hurts more than any other gun ive shot before.

when i shot down a hallway...bad idea lol

PC3597
08-18-2010, 8:56 PM
The human brain focuses concentration on what is important at the moment. In a life threatening confrontation, vison is the most important. The brain actually shuts the other senses down because you are so focused on the threat with eyes. There are endless studies regarding this incredible occurrence, the leading researcher being Dr. Bill Lewinski of Minnesota State University, Mankato. Check out his work at www.ForceScience.org. So, protecting your ears in a life threatening encounter in your home is a VERY low priority, protecting your life and your family is the utmost priority.

ir0nclash86
08-18-2010, 9:18 PM
When I was in Iraq and had to fire my rifle or 50 cal, I was so pumped on adrenaline I didn't have ringing in my ears. I could still hear the shots being fired but no ringing at all. I wouldn't worry about your ears if you have an actual threat in your home and you have to engage him/her.

WTSGDYBBR
08-18-2010, 9:47 PM
Worse case scenario my alarm goes off because its armed when I'm sleeping. Then I reach over under my pillow and unload a 20 rounds from my five and seven. Don't ever worry about your eyes in ears when your in danger.

Worse case scenario, your Laying in bed and some robbers come in do you really have time to put on your ear plugs And safety glasses? Or do you really have time to open your "safety" safe and your "safety" locks? Have you ever shot at or misfired your HD weapon at home without plugs?I'm sure it's something nobody would like to experience.

gump45
08-19-2010, 6:32 AM

I read an article in one gun magazine back around 1994-1995 that .45 ACP 230-grain @ ~850fps generally had a sound signature less likely to cause permanent hearing damage. The article indicated that the report of the shot was more of a rolling boom than a sharp crack, like one would hear from a 9mm (and any other supersonic ammo). The article, as I recall, did site some research, and had some tables/graphs with acoustic impulse levels, et al.

Anyway, the article nudged me into the .45 ACP for home defense. Although, I have tried some 9mm in 147-grain, which seemed to have a bit more kick than 9mm 115-grain FMJ.

I might still have that issue. Will have to dig it out...

sniper5
08-19-2010, 7:26 AM
In the EXTREMELY rare event that a scenario like this happens (ask everyone you run into when the last time they had an intruder in their house at night was), you are in a real life, life and death scenario. Getting you and your family and yourself out ALIVE is the goal, anything else is gravy. I'd accept any amount of damage over death. So no, I don't worry about "ears and eyes" a whole lot.

I keep several fire extinguishers around the house, and have rehearsed exiting in a variety of scenarios, but neither I nor anyone I know has ever had their house burn down. My wife and I keep weapons loaded, and accessible (no kids), and practice frequently but neither I nor anyone I've met has had a shootout with an intruder. We have disaster preparedness supplies and equipment and plans, but have not experienced significant disruption of services, other than the occasional power outage. There is a difference between preparedness and paranoia. If I lived in an area where breakins were so common I'd worry about hearing loss from repetitive shootouts, I'd move.

majorcajones
08-19-2010, 7:50 AM
When I was in Iraq and had to fire my rifle or 50 cal, I was so pumped on adrenaline I didn't have ringing in my ears. I could still hear the shots being fired but no ringing at all. I wouldn't worry about your ears if you have an actual threat in your home and you have to engage him/her.

were you outdoors?

ir0nclash86
08-19-2010, 8:50 AM
were you outdoors?

Rifle indoor and outdoor. 50cal outside. My ears wouldn't ring at all during the engagement. I noticed though when I got back home to Georgia my ears would ring at random times throughout the day. Id be sitting and watching tv or chilling at work and they just ring in either ear. Its become less and less frequent as the months pass by. They ring about 1-2 a month now compared to 3-4 per week last year.

norcal.xd
08-19-2010, 8:54 AM
rather be def then dead!!!!

PsychGuy274
08-19-2010, 9:16 AM
Really now?

"Hold on Mr. Robber! Safety first!"

ir0nclash86
08-19-2010, 9:29 AM
I bet California would pass a law that makes you give the burglar ear muffs before you shoot him so you don't damage his hearing also.

joedogboy
08-19-2010, 9:36 AM
It is generally not going to be one or two (or even a dozen) gunshots that do permanent damage to your hearing - it is the continued exposure to the loud noise, over time.

So unless you are firing your guns in HD situations on a fairly regular basis, it isn't going to permanently deafen you.

We wear ear protection to the range for the same reason that people who go to a lot of concerts wear ear protection to concerts - because over time, sustained loud noises will cause serious damage.

inbox485
08-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Worse case scenario, your Laying in bed and some robbers come in do you really have time to put on your ear plugs And safety glasses?

I'm going to go against the consensus and recommend having electronic ear muffs and safety glasses handy. The decision of whether or not you put them on will be no different than the question of if you call 911 first. Time permitting, put them on. Otherwise forget about it.

Or do you really have time to open your "safety" safe and your "safety" locks?

Traditional safes or cable locks are for storage. No HD gun intended to be accessible should be secured in that manner. That said, it should be mentioned that an HD gun is only an HD gun if it is under your immediate control. If it isn't under your immediate control, it isn't an HD gun and should be secured. Mattress holsters/racks are worth looking into since they provide quick access and IMO are the only good solution for long guns. Fast access safes are an okay alternative to leaving a handgun on a nightstand or in a mattress holster if you are concerned with your kids coming into your room while you are sleeping, or if you have any history of sleep walking.

Have you ever shot at or misfired your HD weapon at home without plugs?I'm sure it's something nobody would like to experience.

Closest thing is I accidentally bumped my ear muffs off while somebody else was shooting a shotgun in an indoor range. Little bit of ringing, but not that bad.

I've been told that discharge of a long gun in the confines of a house will cause permanent hearing damage.

Handguns less so.

Some advocate keeping a pair of electronic earmuffs with your HD shotgun. It takes a moment to don them. Otherwise, protect yourself first.

Supposedly there was a case of an officer in Chicago that got a ruptured tympanic membrane from a single 9mm discharge in a house. Barring proof otherwise, I'd say it is possible to get ear damage during any HD use of any firearm. Technically any time your ears ring from loud noise, a small amount of permanent damage has occurred. Any damage that happens is cumulative over your lifetime. That said, hearing damage from any SD use of a firearm that a civilian is likely to experience is very unlikely to cause a significant amount of hearing loss. That is also not a priority since your risk of bodily harm would be pretty high at the moment.

I have never been to a situation like this but is it really true about the adrenaline rush shuts down the sensitivity of your hearing?

Adrenaline responses are very personal. I cringe when I hear "experts" tell people what they will do during an adrenaline dump. The general rule of thumb is that under adrenaline, you will behave instinctively, your vision will focus on distance, your motor skill will gravitate towards gross, and your ears will tighten up. All of those have anthropological causes. Any muscle memory you develop will replace instincts.

Rifle indoor and outdoor. 50cal outside. My ears wouldn't ring at all during the engagement. I noticed though when I got back home to Georgia my ears would ring at random times throughout the day. Id be sitting and watching tv or chilling at work and they just ring in either ear. Its become less and less frequent as the months pass by. They ring about 1-2 a month now compared to 3-4 per week last year.

^^^ This ^^^

I lost count how many vets I've heard this from. That is after an extended period of repeated engagements in brick buildings. Drywall and wood paneling are more forgiving on the ears.

There is also a good 911 tape on youtube of an old lady that shot an intruder with a shotgun indoors as a guy broke through a glass door. She had no problem communicating on the phone after the fact, and never made any mention of ringing or discomfort in her ears.

leelaw
08-19-2010, 11:32 AM
If the HD gun needs to be used, I'm concerned about my life, not my hearing or vision. I could come out deaf and blind in one eye and still be satisfied knowing that I'm alive and the badguys fared worse.

johnthomas
08-19-2010, 11:53 AM
If you hear someone in your house, put ear plugs in, how will you hear them say "ATF don't move or we will shoot".

Sinister_1
08-19-2010, 11:55 AM
hearing loss/eye damage is a small price to pay for my family's saftey.

Nothing else to add to this.

greasemonkey
08-19-2010, 12:00 PM
We need to be able to use silencers, IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN'S HEARING SAFETY!

inbox485
08-19-2010, 12:54 PM
If you hear someone in your house, put ear plugs in, how will you hear them say "ATF don't move or we will shoot".

That is why I specify electronic ear muffs. Not that I care if an intruder claims to be from an alphabet soup agency. If I have time to get to my gun, I'd presume the intruder is a liar until proven otherwise, and I'd be shooting. If it really is the ATF, you'll wake up in a daze from flashbangs and be in handcuffs before the fog clears.

Calgunz420
08-19-2010, 3:54 PM
Ironclass that sounds about right... Only in California do they protect robbers or intruders....

ZX-10R
08-19-2010, 4:10 PM
WOW. Who even thinks like that? I have a rifle near me in every location/ home I am in...There is no eye/ ear protection out at all.

Sky_DiveR
08-19-2010, 4:19 PM
I keep a spare set of e-muffs next to my HD (fast access) gun safe. Gotta wear eyeglasses cuz I can't see past 5' in front of my face otherwise.... even with a flashlight. Also have an accessory belt handy with a holster, spare flashlight, and cell phone next to the bed that I can just clip on. I may be in the buff but I at least I'll have someplace to put my gun while I'm dialing 911 on my cell phone. Just in case I gotta shoot somebody, they can tape me screaming incoherently before I pull the trigger.... and after.

Greg-Dawg
08-19-2010, 4:20 PM
It only takes me 2 seconds to grab my Glock (there's always one in the pipe) and I'll go Mozambique on the robber.

om221
08-19-2010, 7:19 PM
I just let them rob me.

retired
08-19-2010, 9:27 PM
I already have hearing aids due to on duty injury early in my career, so I will be less affected than most.:D

rdubya
08-20-2010, 12:16 PM
If you are the one shooting you won't even hear it (the brain shuts down the ears). If you are with someone else who is shooting, and you don't know it, it is the loudest noise you will ever hear. Trust me on this.

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
08-20-2010, 3:14 PM
I'm gonna look into electronic earmuffs. I have the Howard Leight regular muffs, any experience with the Howard Leight e-muffs or any other type of particular brand?

inbox485
08-20-2010, 4:13 PM
I'm gonna look into electronic earmuffs. I have the Howard Leight regular muffs, any experience with the Howard Leight e-muffs or any other type of particular brand?

I have a pair of "sportmans guide" electronic muffs, and I've been pretty happy with them as far as volume and such.

E. Fudd
08-20-2010, 9:50 PM
Years back I read about an undercover narc who got into a shootout inside of his vehicle with a dope dealer who 'made' him and drew out a gun to shoot the LEO. This was in Texas back in the day and the UC was packing a .44 Mag. snubbie with magnum loads! He won the gunfight but lost his hearing and had to retire from LE due to the disability.

So, I would think .357 Mags indoors would not be pleasant on the ears either...

norcal77
08-20-2010, 9:56 PM
I considered these type of things when picking my bedside gun and I settled on a Detective Special .38 loaded with Federal 125 gr Nyclads..low flash, not as loud as larger calibers and reliable expansion...

odysseus
08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
What is this about? No - do not be fiddling around with eye\ear protection in a self defense situation. Stop the threat.

I have popped my AR, pistols, and shotty (accident) without ear protection. Pistol once inside, all others outside. You will get over it, but with high power rifles, it will RING.

StephenhDMRS
08-20-2010, 11:06 PM
I've never thought about the being in a home aspect of it is what will hurt your ears. I might move some headphones next to my bed for this reason. But I did always wonder what they did in the army? Just suck it up? Obviously you can't be shooting in an actual war situation and have ear plugs in because then you can't hear people talking. Not that I guess you could with people shooting anyways. So does everyone who has been in war have really bad hearing?

zoglog
08-21-2010, 1:39 AM
I've never thought about the being in a home aspect of it is what will hurt your ears. I might move some headphones next to my bed for this reason. But I did always wonder what they did in the army? Just suck it up? Obviously you can't be shooting in an actual war situation and have ear plugs in because then you can't hear people talking. Not that I guess you could with people shooting anyways. So does everyone who has been in war have really bad hearing?

headsets.

I think the actual chance of this scenario happening makes it good to do it either way to your preference....... I'm sure 99% of the time burglars will be unarmed and will run by a nice pump of the action.

Just wait for the zombie apocalypse and this might be a more common usecase ;)

safewaysecurity
08-21-2010, 1:45 AM
I bet California would pass a law that makes you give the burglar ear muffs before you shoot him so you don't damage his hearing also.

Didn't that pass a few years back? :43: