PDA

View Full Version : My house was burglarized. all my high end gun are gone :(

sandiegogunnut
08-18-2010, 5:32 PM
Damn. Some scum bag ran sack my house for 2.5 hrs. 3/4 of my guns are gone ( all of them are high end pistols and rifles). :(. All of them was in police stolen weapon data base now. Damn..I live in nice neighbor hood. Just only forgot to turn on house alarm for 2.5 hrs. every thing is gone (gun, jewelry).

Casual_Shooter
08-18-2010, 5:41 PM
Sorry to hear that. What part of San Diego are you in?

Big Jake
08-18-2010, 5:42 PM
Man I am sorry to hear that. I hope you had insurance!

Mendo223
08-18-2010, 5:43 PM
nooo...i hate hearing about this man. were your guns in a safe? was the safe bolted down? did they pry open the safe inside the house or steal the whole safe?

CAN SOMEONE STEP UP ALREADY AND INVEST A GUN SAFE WITH BUILT IN GPS NAVIGATION. it can be hidden behind bulletproof glass or something so the theives cant disable it. INVENT IT DAAAAMNIT!

Maltese Falcon
08-18-2010, 5:44 PM
That really is bad. I am so sorry.

What where the circumstances? Where they in a safe?

VictorFranko
08-18-2010, 5:44 PM
You didn't have a safe?????

andrewj
08-18-2010, 5:45 PM
Ouch. From your previous posts, it appears you had some really nice stuff too.

trob
08-18-2010, 5:45 PM
details please.

what part of sd?

Mendo223
08-18-2010, 5:51 PM
yea put more details about this....

did it occur during night/day?

has there been anyone in your house that knows about your guns? did the cable guy see them, does your friends wannabe gangbanging cousin see them?

what kind of security measures did you have in place?

you gotta let other CGers know so they can keep on the lookout!

Mr Wizard
08-18-2010, 5:54 PM
Post pics or description of stolen items so we can keep an eye out for them.
If it was some crack head looking for rock money, they should show up on the street pretty quickly.

Greg-Dawg
08-18-2010, 5:55 PM
That sucks...now my questions:

Did you have an alarm system?
Did you keep your guns in a safe?
Do you have iron bars on your doors and windows?
Do you have a watch dog?
Did you lock your doors?
...you know what I'm getting at?

It seems a lot of the "Stolen gun" threads either left the guns out in the open or has no consideration of security.

What have you learned from this tragic experience? Lock 'em up!!!

SkyStorm82
08-18-2010, 5:59 PM
Do you have any daughters?

sandiegogunnut
08-18-2010, 6:01 PM
Man I am sorry to hear that. I hope you had insurance!

Damm..my insurance cover max is 2k for guns. but I lost more than 30k.

sandiegogunnut
08-18-2010, 6:01 PM

NO KID YET..

cannon
08-18-2010, 6:04 PM
Thats rough news. I hope they are found and returned soon.

sandiegogunnut
08-18-2010, 6:04 PM
That sucks...now my questions:

Did you have an alarm system?
Yes , i do
I did have, just took the guns out for clean and had not put them back.
Do you have iron bars on your doors and windows?
I live in upper class neighbor hood. My HOA would fine me if I have iron bars on my doors and Windows.
almost of the time.
Do you have a watch dog?

Did you lock your doors?

...you know what I'm getting at?

It seems a lot of the "Stolen gun" threads either left the guns out in the open or has no consideration of security.

What have you learned from this tragic experience? Lock 'em up!!!

turn on alarm even leave the house for 5 minutes.
:D

SkyStorm82
08-18-2010, 6:05 PM
No chance of it being an inside job? Friends....family....

Not saying randam burgleries don't happen but it's worth consideration.

sandiegogunnut
08-18-2010, 6:07 PM
yea put more details about this....

did it occur during night/day?

It was during the day. It was bull

has there been anyone in your house that knows about your guns? did the cable guy see them, does your friends wannabe gangbanging cousin see them?

I guess some scum bags knew my house.

what kind of security measures did you have in place?

many you can name them but they are all failure on that day. that's suck.

you gotta let other CGers know so they can keep on the lookout!

Thanks I would..

sandiegogunnut
08-18-2010, 6:09 PM
No chance of it being an inside job? Friends....family....

Not saying randam burgleries don't happen but it's worth consideration.

Not inside family but I know it would be some one know my home very well.

OneApart
08-18-2010, 6:11 PM
Oh man..... my worst nightmare.

I hope they are able to:

1. Track down your guns
2. Catch the scumbags who did that!

In either case, I am sorry to hear that.

ir0nclash86
08-18-2010, 6:12 PM
My best friends dad told a close family friend about his little collection and they ended up getting robbed. Everything was taken except a 1911. When you tell a close family member or friend there's no way to guarantee that they will blab their mouths to their friends.

So the one time you leave them out after cleaning you get robbed within 2.5 hours? Sounds to me as if someone blabbed their mouth about your collection to some no good people. I bet they were waiting in their car across the street waiting for you to leave.

tonelar
08-18-2010, 6:13 PM
Gahd I'm sorry to hear this. I lost a few guns last year... no insurance. Some random overflow that wouldn't fit in my two safes.
Worst of it, a couple were RAWs.

Do yourself a favor and double check that your guns' serial numbers are in the system correctly. SFPD got a couple of mine wrong and I didn't find out for a couple months. They still haven't corrected the info.

HotRails
08-18-2010, 6:14 PM
Wow. Heard tons of things about break ins lately. . . Sorry to hear of the loss, wonder how the guys got past the alarm. Maybe somebody who knew you?

ir0nclash86
08-18-2010, 6:16 PM
Gahd I'm sorry to hear this. I lost a few guns last year... no insurance. Some random overflow that wouldn't fit in my two safes.
Worst of it, a couple were RAWs.

Do yourself a favor and double check that your guns' serial numbers are in the system correctly. SFPD got a couple of mine wrong and I didn't find out for a couple months. They still haven't corrected the info.

This reminds me...I should probably write down my weapon serial numbers incase they get stolen.

AIMSMALL
08-18-2010, 6:20 PM
so no safe then huh? Man that sucks, my brother in law got all his guns stolen too, he thought it was a good idea to rent a storage unit for the summer to store all his stuff while he was out of town.

Juicymeat
08-18-2010, 6:21 PM
Maybe third times a charm...

What part of San Diego do you live in?

hellraiser
08-18-2010, 6:47 PM
dude... that sucks...
thats my worst nightmare.

hope you get them all back.

Rem1492
08-18-2010, 7:13 PM
from previous theft threads there seems to be a trend, I think IRON is right, it was somebody you know.

Caiden07
08-18-2010, 8:04 PM
Sounds like they know what there getting into there is a big chance that it could be somebody you know.

RandyD
08-18-2010, 8:35 PM
I am curious what neighborhood of San Diego do you live in? If your a member of the NRA, check with them, I was under the impression that they provide some coverage.

Purple K
08-18-2010, 8:39 PM

I safe is a lot cheaper than 30K......

Rob454
08-18-2010, 8:43 PM
So let me see if I understand this. You have a insurance policy that covers you for 2000$ but you had 30K worth of guns? Hindsight is 20/20 but why didnt you get a firearm insurance policy? I can only assume you did not have a safe or you left it unlocked. Dude I go to the mailbox and my alarm goes on.

For the life of me I simply cannot understand why someone would invest thousands of dollars in firearms/valuable things etc and then not even spend 1-1500$ to get a safe that they can store the valuables in? I see so many posts with my guns got stolen. First thing I ask is did youhave a safe and most of the time the answer is no.
Sorry to hear what happen and I hope you get your stuff back or most of it. Some of it probably already was used in a robbery and had its #s filed off

AIMSMALL
08-18-2010, 8:52 PM
I sleep better when I'm away from home knowing my guns are locked in a high end safe thats bolted to the floor in the corner of my closet. It really gives me peace of mind anytime I'm not at home.

odysseus
08-18-2010, 8:59 PM
First I am sorry to hear of it. I would be outside of myself in anger and contempt if this were to happen to me. Seriously, very outside of myself that even if Buddha were to materialize himself in front of me with words of wisdom on how to find peace from suffering, I would probably just stare at him.

Friend of mine is a police detective. He tells me how often the department covers property crimes at home burglaries because someone didn't arm their alarm (also mostly during the day for home burglaries). Too often. People get complacent, people simply forget. Then it is just a useless piece of gear all over your home with a wasted monthly monitoring payment. I am rigorous about arming it like muscle memory, and my wife is about the same - that or she fears another firm lecture should I discover she didn't.

Of course you need to ask yourself, why you? Why then? Any other places broken into in the area? Often these come around a neighborhood more than once in period of time. Hopefully all the usual detective work might be done and perhaps even a simple print found reveals a known felon and they can jump on it.

We are all assuming here you didn't have a safe. If you did, we would like to know details if or how it was broken into. However with that much time you mentioned without interference and no alarm, a typical RSC safe is done for against a brute force attack. If you didn't have a safe and had so much $$$ wrapped up in guns, you only have yourself to blame then and that was a hard lesson to learn.

BTW - for those with home alarms, be sure to protect and make difficult access to the main brain of the system. Further more, think about redundant cell alerting coverage or other items should you worry that a simple snip of a phone line could cause auto alerting issues.

Property crimes are up all over. I am more vigilant in many ways even though I live in what is considered a very safe place and area, with very fast PD response.

a1c
I remind gun-owning friends all the time: unless you have specific insurance, most of your jewelry and guns are not covered. You might recover $1K, 2K max. If you want to insure your guns and jewelry and other valuable, collectible items (that includes precious metals), you need a specific insurance policy.

MikeR
30k in guns..
Crappy ins..
No safe..

= No sympathy :o

Faust
08-18-2010, 9:39 PM
SD resident here, tagging thread for more details.

Joe
08-18-2010, 9:44 PM
Horrible news :(

Hope some get recovered.

ArcLight
08-18-2010, 9:47 PM
A good guard dog is as good as an alarm. I have a South African Boerboel and his bark can be heard for about a block or so. And if the bad guys try to enter through my yard good luck i have no doubt my dog could easily kill a grown man.

aermotor
08-18-2010, 10:44 PM
So, did the OP not have a gun safe?...

odysseus
08-18-2010, 10:47 PM
A good guard dog is as good as an alarm. I have a South African Boerboel and his bark can be heard for about a block or so. And if the bad guys try to enter through my yard good luck i have no doubt my dog could easily kill a grown man.

You ever take any elongated trips anywhere, like a vacation? They are not replacements for each other, but separate tools. Anyway - my dog is my buddy too and he goes places with us, and I also understand his limitations as well.

4Defense
08-18-2010, 10:57 PM
30k in guns..
Crappy ins..
No safe..

= No sympathy :o

Well said. Loosing 30K is not bad comparing to coming home to looking down your own barrel.

Even 1K worth of gun(s) should be in a safe. Those are things that should not be laying around the house.

Full Clip
08-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Wow. Heard tons of things about break ins lately.

Burglaries are only going to increase as the economy continues to decline.
Please, everyone, don't allow yourself to become a victim.

Cyc Wid It
08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Even 1K worth of gun(s) should be in a safe. Those are things that should not be laying around the house.

I doubt many people will buy a full blown safe for 1 gun though, but yes, I think everyone can agree that rent etc. situations permitting safes are good things.

joedogboy
08-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Hate to hear about these things.

In the case of a burglar who is familiar with the home and had over two hours to work with, a safe may not have done a lot of good.

Safes, like locks, exist to keep honest people honest.

2Bear
08-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Ouch.

IIRC, NRA does provide members $1K in coverage, (see below).

Scary to think where that $30K of guns might be headed...

Should probably have a game-cam watching your safe, eh?

Agree that, "All my high end guns are gone", certainly implies a knowledgeable crook, and possible insider.

$1,000 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage. For purposes of insurance, NRA members must be current active members of the NRA whose name appears on the NRA membership list.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/ArmsCarePlus.htm (ArmsCare Coverage Details)

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
08-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I doubt many people will buy a full blown safe for 1 gun though, but yes, I think everyone can agree that rent etc. situations permitting safes are good things.

This is my situation. I only own three guns and I just can't justify a safe purchase. The price, bulkiness, space taken, etc. Plus I rent, so I don't own a single family residence where I can invest in large fixtures and what not.

Any tips on hiding guns safely around the house?

Cyc Wid It
08-19-2010, 12:43 AM
This is my situation. I only own three guns and I just can't justify a safe purchase. The price, bulkiness, space taken, etc. Plus I rent, so I don't own a single family residence where I can invest in large fixtures and what not.

This isn't a permanent solution but it may help in terms of nightstand gun storage.

You could bolt one of those small gun vaults into a drawer in your nightstand or directly onto the top of it (no big loss if it's not terribly fancy furniture). That way (granted they can move the whole thing) it'll be a bigger hassle at least. If you do this in a drawer it will be less conspicuous. Of course, if they have a lot of time to dig around they'll find it sooner or later.

If you've got 1 or 2 long guns I dunno you could try a gun locker and hide it in a closet.

2Bear
08-19-2010, 1:15 AM
If you've got 1 or 2 long guns I dunno you could try a gun locker and hide it in a closet.

Could do locking gun racks:
http://www.lockinggunracks.com/pistol-rack.jpg
http://www.lockinggunracks.com/FSRI%203%20gun%20RS%20Full%20Y%20003.jpg
http://www.lockinggunracks.com/FSRI%203%20gun%20RS%20Empty%20Y%20001.jpg

Only $50 for the 3 rifle or 3 peestol rack.

http://www.lockinggunracks.com

johnthomas
08-19-2010, 1:31 AM

Yes, put up a shelf in a closet, as you step in the closet, turn around, above the door.
The other day I left the house for an hour, my wife got home right after I left and called me to see if I forgot to turn the alarm on, I guess I did, 1st time in 10 years. I was lucky, I double check now.

4Defense
08-19-2010, 3:53 AM

1 gun or 1,000 guns it should not matter. As responsible gun owners, one should also think of situations like the OP. To most people guns are toys but the reality of it is that they are also weapons. And because of being an irresponsible gun owner, now there might be 30K worth of weapons in the hands of criminals ready to commit the next crime.

Some would say it would not matter if there was a safe. How many professional safe hackers do they know that walk around burlarizing the neighborhood? Very poor excuse at best!

E Pluribus Unum
08-19-2010, 4:22 AM

30k worth of guns?

Man... you have $30k to spend on guns, but not enough to buy adequate safes to keep them in?

Dare I say this was a tad on the irresponsible side? Now a criminal will have guns he can sell on the street, that will be used to victimize the rest of us.

I hate to put salt on the wound, but I think we should all learn from this: keep your guns locked up.

VictorFranko
08-19-2010, 4:45 AM
30k worth of guns?

Man... you have $30k to spend on guns, but not enough to buy adequate safes to keep them in?

Dare I say this was a tad on the irresponsible side? Now a criminal will have guns he can sell on the street, that will be used to victimize the rest of us.

I hate to put salt on the wound, but I think we should all learn from this: keep your guns locked up.

↑↑↑ This ↑↑↑

Last week it was another CGer telling a story of a cable TV guy that saw his guns scattered all around the room. Shotguns over here, rifles in the corner, pistols next to the pillow and ammunition everywhere :eek:
You people are responsible for the safe-keeping of your weapons. It is your duty to keep them out of the hands of the bad guys.
Lock 'em up!

cudakidd
08-19-2010, 5:35 AM
I have substantially more then $30K in firearms, I also have an alarm system, THREE gun safes (all red headed down), two bull terriers and security doors.

And in spite of that I still have full NRA coverage. Stated Value policy for less the the cost of a cheap firearm per year!

No safe=no sympathy as posted before...

RobG
08-19-2010, 6:25 AM
Damn. Some scum bag ran sack my house for 2.5 hrs. 3/4 of my guns are gone ( all of them are high end pistols and rifles). :(. All of them was in police stolen weapon data base now. Damn..I live in nice neighbor hood. Just only forgot to turn on house alarm for 2.5 hrs. every thing is gone (gun, jewelry).

Where do you think the bad guys go to burglarize? They don't get sh*t robbing ghetto houses in their own hood.

PatriotnMore
08-19-2010, 7:22 AM

I've given this warning to many a gun owner with no safe, of the people I know who did not own a gun safe, including my own brother, and especially if you have children. All of them have had their homes broken into, and guns stolen. Even a locking gun cabinet bolted down is better than nothing.

WokMaster1
08-19-2010, 7:26 AM
OP, what insurance company do you have?

I agree with a lot of folks here. Get a safe & bolt that sucker down.

ZX-10R
08-19-2010, 7:35 AM
That was inside job. Someone you knew told someone what you have. Sorry to hear that.

gunslinger387
08-19-2010, 9:19 AM
So, did the OP not have a gun safe?...

The OP finally mentioned something about an alarm but no mention of a safe. There have been several inquiries about a safe but he hasn't directley answered that question(not sure why). It is probably a no.

Although it is unfortunate maybe this will save someone else some grief in the future and they will skip a gun purchase and spend the funds on a safe.

Nothing is perfect but a good safe will take a lot of time, energy and noise to get into. Hopefully enough that they move on to an easier softer target.

evidens83
08-19-2010, 9:24 AM
30K worth of firearms and no safe :confused:

Centurion_D
08-19-2010, 9:27 AM
OP..sorry to hear about your loss. I guess this adequately points out the need for a gun safe. Like others have pointed out before you think about buying your next gun instead think about getting a safe. I have one and it's peace of mind that my firepower is locked up and secured.

Stonewalker
08-19-2010, 9:36 AM

I only own one gun, but I promised my wife that I would keep it in a safe. We rent a 2 bedroom apartment, we don't have tons of space. I was originally looking for a heavy foot locker or something inconspicuous that I could bolt to the wall next to my bed. I went with this -

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sentry-5-Gun-Safe/4244347

It will probably hold three rifles comfortably, it's small and it's not expensive. I've bolted it to the wall (in a corner, bolted to studs both walls). It's not much, but it will at least cause a thief some grief if he wants to get it. As I learned in my networking classes, security is all about the low-hanging fruit. You can at least make it harder with a small purchase like this.

Barbarossa
08-19-2010, 9:48 AM
My Uncle lost about 15K worth of guns this summer in a burglary (people were in the home sleeping).

Insurance gave him $1,800

Most homeowners does not cover your guns.

inbox485
08-19-2010, 9:53 AM
There is absolutely zero excuse for leaving the house with an unsecured gun left out. For about the cost of a friggin hi-point, you can get a stack on gun cabinet, lag bolt it in a corner so that the door opening is up against a wall to prevent crowbar access, and you are protected against anything short of arc torches or major power tools. For even less than that you can get a simple handgun safe and bolt it / security cable it to a bed post or night stand. If you had a pro break in and take a torch to your safe, or did a professional crack job on it, you'd have my sympathy. But you left a dirt bag's wet dream out and open for the taking and gave more fodder for the gun grabbers. Sorry if that is harsh, but it is what it is.

doc1buc
08-19-2010, 9:58 AM
That's a big dog

XDRoX
08-19-2010, 9:58 AM
I also live in a nice part of San Diego. A little over 2 years ago my house was burglarized. They took jewelry, electronics, anything they could grab quickly.

My insurance company told me to make a list and they wrote my a check for $8000. Since then I have installed a top of the line alarm system. I love coming home to a safe house. I wish I could convince everyone to get a security system. For DIY's, they are very inexpensive for very nice systems.

My insurance also has the 2K cap on guns, but no guns were taken.

Hope everything works out for you.

BTW, most insurance companies will not give you a penny unless you show proof of forced entry. So if you left a window or door unlocked, the insurance company may reject your claim.

trob
08-19-2010, 10:18 AM
i think there is something fishy about this thread. he has responded several times, but has not answered any questions about details.

no sympathy from me, because i dont think it happened.

Corbin Dallas
08-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Could do locking gun racks:
http://www.lockinggunracks.com/pistol-rack.jpg
http://www.lockinggunracks.com/FSRI%203%20gun%20RS%20Full%20Y%20003.jpg
http://www.lockinggunracks.com/FSRI%203%20gun%20RS%20Empty%20Y%20001.jpg

Only $50 for the 3 rifle or 3 peestol rack.

http://www.lockinggunracks.com

That's a joke.

I'd be through that in 2 minutes.

VictorFranko
08-19-2010, 11:22 AM
i think there is something fishy about this thread. he has responded several times, but has not answered any questions about details.

no sympathy from me, because i dont think it happened.

You may be on to something, 30 minutes after starting this post OP posted this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=333379
Ready to buy more expensive guns but still no mention of a safe :confused:

Stonewalker
08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
You may be on to something, 30 minutes after starting this post OP posted this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=333379
Ready to buy more expensive guns but still no mention of a safe :confused:

The dude must have money to throw away... That's an awfully bad use of resources if he bought 30k in guns and is ready to buy another 3k and didn't buy a safe.

I smell a 'suddenly rich' situation. Lotto, lawsuit, inheritance or something like that. Sounds like he could use a Hank Hill or Red Foreman ***-kicking.

johnthomas
08-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Note to self. If your guns get stolen, do not, DO NOT post it on Calguns. Compassion runs rampant.
This man is kicking himself in the butt enough, I'm pretty sure he doesn't need all of us doing it for him. Give the man a break.

Rob454
08-19-2010, 11:52 AM
That's a joke.

Wow you're slow jk. Better than nothing but that may stop me for 30 seconds
Most alarm systems have a option in programming a automatic arm time so say you know you are gone by 8 am and nobody at home you can program the system to self arm
phone line cutting is a way to defeat the calling to central station but you can always wire the phone box door to the alarm system and put a lock or safety screws on it also lock the electrical panel

if you can afford. To buy guns usually you canafford to have some safety measures there are plenty of decent diy alarm systems and very affordable camera systems on the market today
I'm not saying go nuts and get the most expensive stiff out there but there are very affordable systems that cost less than some of the guns you own

also insurance coverage is a good thing to have. I know some say insurance is a scam but it is helpful

sandiegogunnut
08-19-2010, 11:59 AM
For repy the questions. I did have 2 big Sentry safes. I always keep them in the Safes. My stupid mistake was I took my guns out for yearly clean and I did not put them back into the safe for that day. The scumb bags broke in at the right moment for them. It was a very unlucky for me.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
08-19-2010, 12:01 PM
That's a joke.

Anyone would be. It always amazes me how people think that something like that could be secure. All you need is a decent crow bar. A cordless dremel could go through that pretty easily with the right bit.

skanless
08-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Damn that sucks man.

Stonewalker
08-19-2010, 12:09 PM
For repy the questions. I did have 2 big Sentry safes. I always keep them in the Safes. My stupid mistake was I took my guns out for yearly clean and I did not put them back into the safe for that day. The scumb bags broke in at the right moment for them. It was a very unlucky for me.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully the bastards do something stupid soon and your guns are found as a result.

xrMike
08-19-2010, 12:18 PM
For repy the questions. I did have 2 big Sentry safes. I always keep them in the Safes. My stupid mistake was I took my guns out for yearly clean and I did not put them back into the safe for that day. The scumb bags broke in at the right moment for them. It was a very unlucky for me.Very sorry to hear that. I was beginning to think you didn't have safe(s).

I do the same thing sometimes -- leave a gun or two out of the safe for a few days, until I get around to cleaning them. Then they go back in...

That practice stops now!

faterikcartman
08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I always keep everything locked up and it has contributed to me being a couple minutes late for a meeting or two. Thanks for the thread as this reminds me it is worth it to lock everything up every time as there are many times I don't want to bother.

I'm sure there are several people on this board, by the way, with collections in the six figures.

It also makes me think of some funny things:

Mother lets thirteen year old daughter dress like a prostitot, go out late at night, get her belly pierced, have boyfriends, and be on facebook without supervision, and the girl is knocked up and on drugs by sixteen. Mother tells everyone who will listen, including her congressperson asking for new laws to prevent it in the future: "I don't know how this could happen; she's a good girl?"

Guy has $30,000 in guns and he lets them hang out with their friends instead of being locked up when he's not home and he says... okay, I'm pretty sure he knows exactly what he did wrong!

Let's not have anyone here making the same mistake.

inbox485
08-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Note to self. If your guns get stolen, do not, DO NOT post it on Calguns. Compassion runs rampant.
This man is kicking himself in the butt enough, I'm pretty sure he doesn't need all of us doing it for him. Give the man a break.

Not just no, but hell no. His actions may have cost him a pretty penny, but it may have also cost lives. Add that to the fact that he contributed to the "illegal guns stolen from lawful owners then used to murder other victims" statistic that is constantly being used to try to justify making it illegal to own the guns in the first place. If I lost guns under such negligent circumstances, I'd have more than lost money on my conscience.

Droc101
08-19-2010, 12:55 PM

Dogs can be usurped a little easier then a house alarm, also would you really want to put your pet in harms way over material possessions? Buy a good safe, get a key only deadbolt for your gun room, and, if need be, alarm your house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntY7vf5X87k

embed help?

bassbones
08-19-2010, 1:01 PM

ROFLMAO HAHAHAH NO YOU DIDNT..... HHAHAHAHAH AHHA AHAHAHAH

Droc101
08-19-2010, 1:10 PM

Why would you pull out your entire 30k collection all at once and then leave it out? Even when I do my big clean I pull one at a time, maybe two, clean it and then lock it back up and grab another. Sounds fishy to me.

Droc101
08-19-2010, 1:13 PM

Stack-on makes a great inexpensive gun cabinet. Its not a bullet proof option but it will keep honest people honest.

sd_shooter
08-19-2010, 1:35 PM
Why would you pull out your entire 30k collection all at once and then leave it out? Even when I do my big clean I pull one at a time, maybe two, clean it and then lock it back up and grab another. Sounds fishy to me.

I'm not buying it either.

Then the first thing the guy wants to buy is a $3000 1911?

inbox485
08-19-2010, 1:46 PM
Dogs can be usurped a little easier then a house alarm, also would you really want to put your pet in harms way over material possessions? Buy a good safe, get a key only deadbolt for your gun room, and, if need be, alarm your house.

embed help?

4Defense
08-19-2010, 2:37 PM

There were no safes! It was just a last minute ditch to save himself some more humiliation. What a tool!

Hopefully those guns will never get any innocent people killed.

Some little girl will get kidnapped by some nutcases.
A father will never make it home to dinner with his family because he died from a robbery at the gas station on the way home.
A grandfather died while walking through a park all for just his wallet.
A mother was forced into her car after coming of a grocery store and found dead 3 days later.

Being irresponsible and negligent may have those effects to others when it comes to guns!

F..en irresponsible douchebag.

ZX-10R
08-19-2010, 2:43 PM
That's a big dog

Amen...Dogs are where it is at. My Akita keeps that house nice and safe. All my neighbors know my dog is not friendly (except to some of them). Strangers who are unarmed will have a problem if they ever get into my house. BIG TIME.

evidens83
08-19-2010, 2:57 PM
I knew all along this story is made up...

stix213
08-19-2010, 3:16 PM
I only own one gun, but I promised my wife that I would keep it in a safe. We rent a 2 bedroom apartment, we don't have tons of space. I was originally looking for a heavy foot locker or something inconspicuous that I could bolt to the wall next to my bed. I went with this -

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sentry-5-Gun-Safe/4244347

It will probably hold three rifles comfortably, it's small and it's not expensive. I've bolted it to the wall (in a corner, bolted to studs both walls). It's not much, but it will at least cause a thief some grief if he wants to get it. As I learned in my networking classes, security is all about the low-hanging fruit. You can at least make it harder with a small purchase like this.

I actually have the same one. Its better than leaving them out in the open for sure, and I knew I would end up needing a better safe later (cause I would fill it up!) so this was a perfect purchase when I got my first firearm being so inexpensive. I figure the TV and computers out in the open would get stolen before a thief would bother trying to get that strong box off the wall or pry it open, and by then hopefully they are satisfied with the take.

trob
08-19-2010, 5:53 PM
I'm not buying it either.

Then the first thing the guy wants to buy is a $3000 1911?

i dont think any of us are

G-forceJunkie
08-19-2010, 6:09 PM
Now that is a great idea. lag bolt it in a corner so that the door opening is up against a wall to prevent crowbar access,

NiteQwill
08-19-2010, 6:20 PM
you guys are still feeding this guy?

jshoebot
08-19-2010, 7:24 PM
Did he ever say what part of San Diego he's in?

E Pluribus Unum
08-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Did he ever say what part of San Diego he's in?

The part just north of the border.

battleship
08-20-2010, 12:59 AM
This Story should be told to fifth graders, starting with once upon a time.

Once upon a time i happened on taking all my guns out for a cleaning, on one seemingly uneventful day and guess what children, it just so happened on that very day the big bad wolf came a knocking, he huffed and he puffed and couldn't blow my house down but instead made off with 30K worth of guns that i just had to leave around the house for a spring cleaning. No one in there right mind would take out of a supposed safe 30 grands worth of guns for what would be a marathon cleaning event.

When did you plan on cleaning them at the crack of dawn to sun down.

Yet you went out and left them alone.

And all this happened on the one day of the year that you decide to clean them all.

My face is screwed up right now and my head wont stop shaking from what i think is not the real story.

And 30 mins later your looking at another $3000 purchase have you not learned anything.

Im so not buying this.

jazman
08-20-2010, 12:12 PM
This story stinks to me also, I don't buy it.:rolleyes:

BigJB
08-20-2010, 4:26 PM
Ive been to the homes of guys I do not know too well, before long they are pulling out there collection of guns and showing them to me. I must look like a real nice guy or something, because I personally do not show my guns to anybody. My guns are nothing special, but people can't steal guns if they don't know you have them. I also have one of the cheap metal cabinets bolted to my floor, and a big-ol barking dog who would actually go after someone if they were unwelcome.

I also smell a hint of fish when reading the OPs story.

If I get ripped, you can bet I will post all the details, photos of my missing guns/children, and demand all of you help me find them with a bounty on the head of the offender.

Rob454
08-20-2010, 4:33 PM

That really really sucks big freaking you know what. No matter what Im sorry to hear what happen especially since you have safes. hell man I lock all my guns up. i figure if someone is gonna break in I might as well give them something to work for.

inbox485
08-20-2010, 4:50 PM
Ive been to the homes of guys I do not know too well, before long they are pulling out there collection of guns and showing them to me. I must look like a real nice guy or something, because I personally do not show my guns to anybody. My guns are nothing special, but people can't steal guns if they don't know you have them. I also have one of the cheap metal cabinets bolted to my floor, and a big-ol barking dog who would actually go after someone if they were unwelcome.

I also smell a hint of fish when reading the OPs story.

If I get ripped, you can bet I will post all the details, photos of my missing guns/children, and demand all of you help me find them with a bounty on the head of the offender.

I'm just waiting for a story to break along the lines of:

SD man indited on federal illegal weapons sales after claiming his house was robbed when he had an entire arsenal of weapons worth 30K left out "for cleaning" and had a 40K gift wired to him from a "friend" in Mexico.

Assuming the OP's story is true, he just admitted to "criminal storage of a firearm of the first degree" if a minor gets a hold of one of those guns and hurts themselves or anybody else with it. That would be a felony BTW.;)

Tony.
08-20-2010, 5:31 PM
This Story should be told to fifth graders, starting with once upon a time.

Once upon a time i happened on taking all my guns out for a cleaning, on one seemingly uneventful day and guess what children, it just so happened on that very day the big bad wolf came a knocking, he huffed and he puffed and couldn't blow my house down but instead made off with 30K worth of guns that i just had to leave around the house for a spring cleaning. No one in there right mind would take out of a supposed safe 30 grands worth of guns for what would be a marathon cleaning event.

When did you plan on cleaning them at the crack of dawn to sun down.

Yet you went out and left them alone.

And all this happened on the one day of the year that you decide to clean them all.

My face is screwed up right now and my head wont stop shaking from what i think is not the real story.

And 30 mins later your looking at another $3000 purchase have you not learned anything.

Im so not buying this.

+1

Even if the burglarization is true, the OP is not that intelligent posting that he is buying another $3000 pistol. Hmmmmm.... could it be possible that the "thief" is reading these boards.

BenjaminCA
08-20-2010, 6:17 PM
Is it just me or does the OP sound like he is writing from a computer in Nigeria? Doesn't this sound funny, "all my high end gun are gone"?

biglou
08-20-2010, 6:53 PM
Is it just me or does the OP sound like he is writing from a computer in Nigeria? Doesn't this sound funny, "all my high end gun are gone"?

I thought the same thing reading his post. Something doesn't add up. Now he's looking for a 3K 1911 ? Why not just go buy a Kimber or Wilson Combat ?

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-20-2010, 6:57 PM
Not buying it either. You own 30K in firearms and asking what 1911 to buy.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=333379

You would know what 1911 to buy if you buy guns.

sniper4usmc
08-20-2010, 7:26 PM
I think this is bogus post by troll

bluestaterebel
08-20-2010, 7:43 PM
My house was burglarized. all my high end gun are gone

Damn. Some scum bag ran sack my house.

All of them was in police stolen weapon data base now.

Damn..I live in nice neighbor hood.

yeah, his sentences are a little wierd.

bluestaterebel
08-20-2010, 7:47 PM
when asked if he had any daughters (pretty funny btw), his answer was:

NO KID YET..

inbox485
08-21-2010, 9:31 PM

He has been around a bit, and has had some AR stuff for sell. I don't think he is a troll. I honestly suspect he arranged the burglary to cover for an illegal sale. He doesn't seem like a typical troll, but his story is fishier than a hippy's cooch.

johnthomas
08-21-2010, 10:37 PM
He has been around a bit, and has had some AR stuff for sell. I don't think he is a troll. I honestly suspect he arranged the burglary to cover for an illegal sale. He doesn't seem like a typical troll, but his story is fishier than a hippy's cooch.

There you go, spread the word the man is a felon, you don't know him. Shame on you. The man lost his guns, feeling bad and made a worse judgment than leaving his guns out and home alarm off. He posted it on Calguns.

Diabolus
08-22-2010, 7:25 AM
Amen...Dogs are where it is at. My Akita keeps that house nice and safe. All my neighbors know my dog is not friendly (except to some of them). Strangers who are unarmed will have a problem if they ever get into my house. BIG TIME.

I don't know if you had a chance to view that Mythbusters episode, but your dog would likely sell you out for some raw steak, maybe even some *****-in-heat urine.

Double_D
08-22-2010, 7:35 AM
that sucks man. sorry for your loss :(

inbox485
08-22-2010, 11:22 AM
There you go, spread the word the man is a felon, you don't know him. Shame on you. The man lost his guns, feeling bad and made a worse judgment than leaving his guns out and home alarm off. He posted it on Calguns.

If you honestly believe a gun owner with a 30K collection would:

- Pull all of them out of a safe for cleaning at once
- Decide to leave for several hours
- Not set the alarm that he pays for every month because he is worried about break ins

And a burglar (unlike most burglars that scope out places looking for routines and normal times a residence is vacant - especially when going for guns):

- happens to know the moment the gun owner is going to decide to run some errands for a few hours
- only takes the "high end" guns

I have a bridge in London I can sell you for a really good price. I'm not saying it is impossible, just incredibly fishy. Besides, if it was a minor that stole the collection and any one of them gets used in a crime and somebody gets hurt, the OP already admitted to committing a felony.

Edit: As for you saying shame on me, your right. I don't know him. He is just another semi random member of society. When joe blow comes up with a story such that the null hypothesis is incredibly unlikely and the alternative hypothesis is criminal, I cringe a bit. If judging strangers like that is shameful now, oh well.

Californio
08-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Brown Safe in North County

http://www.brownsafe.com/

I would have a TL-30 or TL-30x6 for a $30k collection

GUNFREAK
08-22-2010, 3:01 PM
You can buy a GPS tracker at your local PepBoys. They are a couple hundred bucks and about 10-20 bucks for the monthly service. They are designed to be hidden in cars, they are the size of a cell phone. You could put it in the safe and hopefully you can track it before the thieves crack your safe.

BigDogatPlay
08-22-2010, 3:25 PM
This reminds me...I should probably write down my weapon serial numbers incase they get stolen.

This is why I maintain s/n's, full descriptions and ID photos on a USB thumb drive safed in a locked drawer of my desk at work. Anyone takes anything of mine, assuming they have enough time to break the safe, the police will have complete and accurate data on my goods instantly.

GrizzlyGuy
08-22-2010, 4:32 PM
Assuming the OP's story is true, he just admitted to "criminal storage of a firearm of the first degree" if a minor gets a hold of one of those guns and hurts themselves or anybody else with it. That would be a felony BTW.;)

He is actually not criminally liable. Criminal storage of a firearm is defined in 12035 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12035.html). There is no crime when this is true:

(1) The child obtains the firearm as a result of an illegal entry
to any premises by any person.

That takes OP off the hook since he didn't invite the thief into his home.

IsaacGlass
08-22-2010, 5:05 PM
I don't know if you had a chance to view that Mythbusters episode, but your dog would likely sell you out for some raw steak, maybe even some *****-in-heat urine.

Have you ever own a Akita?

And to OP, your story is too much of a coincident.

VictorFranko
08-22-2010, 5:17 PM
If you honestly believe a gun owner with a 30K collection would:

- Pull all of them out of a safe for cleaning at once
- Decide to leave for several hours
- Not set the alarm that he pays for every month because he is worried about break ins

And a burglar (unlike most burglars that scope out places looking for routines and normal times a residence is vacant - especially when going for guns):

- happens to know the moment the gun owner is going to decide to run some errands for a few hours
- only takes the "high end" guns

I have a bridge in London I can sell you for a really good price. I'm not saying it is impossible, just incredibly fishy. Besides, if it was a minor that stole the collection and any one of them gets used in a crime and somebody gets hurt, the OP already admitted to committing a felony.

Edit: As for you saying shame on me, your right. I don't know him. He is just another semi random member of society. When joe blow comes up with a story such that the null hypothesis is incredibly unlikely and the alternative hypothesis is criminal, I cringe a bit. If judging strangers like that is shameful now, oh well.

I'm with inbox458 on this one, something sounds fishy all the way with this thread and the accompaning thread about about permission from the wife to spend $3000 on a new handgun to offset the loss of $30,000 worth of firearms.
Who the hell cleans $30,000 worth of firearms all at once and leaves them all out of the safe, just for a short while, and then has their home broken into the one and only time the alarm was not set?

INJUNTOM
08-22-2010, 5:20 PM
Ouch. Just recently got a home alarm installed. We are already used to using the one at the business so it should be easy to remember. Also added the feature to allow us to arm/disarm from a phone if we have any doubts after leaving.

Can't tell you how many times I've turned around and went back to check the business alarm when in doubt.

Full Clip
08-22-2010, 5:28 PM

Then get a small safe.
http://www.officeworks.com.au/ims_docs/46/46CAC6E7136002DF02000000AC193D36.JPG
If you can afford guns, be responsible with them.

That's an an interestingly groundless accusation.
:lurk5:

VictorFranko
08-22-2010, 5:37 PM

Think of it this way. If a BG steals your guns, who is he going to sell them to? Another BG, of course. If your gun is used to harm an innocent citizen, you are responsible for not properly securing you firearms, if not legally, morally.
Be a responsible gun owner and protect your firearms from falling into the wrong hands.

inbox485
08-22-2010, 7:09 PM
He is actually not criminally liable. Criminal storage of a firearm is defined in 12035 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12035.html). There is no crime when this is true:

That takes OP off the hook since he didn't invite the thief into his home.

Good call. I had missed that one.

Fissssh
08-22-2010, 9:14 PM
I think a catastrophic boating accident would have been more believable :rolleyes:

joedogboy
08-22-2010, 10:52 PM
I know a lot of people who like to have their whole collection out at once to look at them while they clean them.

This goes for car collectors, bike collectors, hummel figurine collectors, beanie baby collectors, jewelry collectors, guitar collectors, and gun collectors. Pretty much any kind of collection that people have, many collectors like to take them all out and look at them every once in a while.

This doesn't automatically make them criminals, prove that they were taking part in some kind of scam, or even make them criminally irresponsible.

Even if they leave them out of the safe, but in a locked house, for "just a few minutes: while I run this errand, it doesn't make them a criminal - just someone who did a foolish thing - and in this case, evidently chose a very unlucky time to do so (or was observed to be leaving the guns unsecured).

While we may suspect the OP of telling some fibs, or even of perpetrating a scam, we shouldn't immediately jump to that conclusion.

joedogboy
08-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Since we are all in a "blame the victim" mode here, let's apply the same logic to anyone whose car is stolen when they don't have it secured in a well locked garage with an armored door.

Hopefully those guns that car will never get any innocent people killed.

Some little girl will get kidnapped by some nutcases.
A father will never make it home to dinner with his family because he died from a robbery at the gas station being forced off the road on the way home.
A grandfather died while walking through a park all for just his wallet across a street.
A mother was forced into her the backseat of the car after coming of a grocery store and found dead 3 days later.

Being irresponsible and negligent may have those effects to others when it comes to guns cars!

F..en irresponsible douchebag.

4Defense
08-23-2010, 3:19 AM
Not good enough.

You wanna compare guns to cars? How many cars that got stolen then got innocent people killed?

Last I checked, even the fattest guy or gal cannot CCW a car!

A car cannot kill somebody from a distance.

A gun can kill you anywhere from point blank to more than a 1,000 yards away.

Get the picture?

So how many guns do you have laying around your house unsecured? Is that why you are trying to defend it so hard?

joedogboy
08-23-2010, 4:34 AM
Not good enough.

You wanna compare guns to cars? How many cars that got stolen then got innocent people killed?

Last I checked, even the fattest guy or gal cannot CCW a car!

Get the picture?

So how many guns do you have laying around your house unsecured? Is that why you are trying to defend it so hard?

Since cars kill many more Americans than guns, it is fair to assume that more people get killed by stolen cars than by stolen guns.

Legally, if you lock your door with your guns in the house, they are secure. Do most of us go beyond that? Sure. Are we required to? No.

And if a criminal breaks into someone's house and steals from them, it is generally not the fault of the occupant.

So why spend so much time trying to blame them and make them feel even worse about it?

You seem very anti-gun and anti-gun owner. Are you sure that you are a gun owner?

inbox485
08-23-2010, 9:53 AM
On the car v gun point, people get killed by and from stolen cars all the time. They are used widely for criminal activity beyond just the theft of value. The potential to misuse cars is a massively valid comparison.

On the blame the victim point, nobody is making an accusation or claiming to have proof. A lot of us just find the story fishy. Fishy enough that the next likely scenario makes more sense than the original claim. Coincidences happen all the time and the stars of fate could have been horribly mis-aligned that day. Doesn't mean I'm not going to question something that stinks that badly.

hypnoman
08-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm with inbox458 on this one, something sounds fishy all the way with this thread and the accompaning thread about about permission from the wife to spend $3000 on a new handgun to offset the loss of $30,000 worth of firearms.
Who the hell cleans $30,000 worth of firearms all at once and leaves them all out of the safe, just for a short while, and then has their home broken into the one and only time the alarm was not set?

If this story is true, it's a tragedy . . . all the firearms in the wrong hands.

If this is a cover up for some illegal arms deal . . . even more tragic!

Nonetheless, a huge reminder to really protect our guns and keep them away from the wrong hands . . .

razorx
08-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Get the picture?

So I thought I would try a risky experiment to compare relative dangers of guns and vehicles at a distance. For practical reasons, I had to limit my range of distance to 20 feet and less.

I opened the door from my house into the garage to have a clean line of sight from the vehicle into the home, garage door being closed of course. I then very carefully placed my 1911 on a table next to the car with the same line of sight. I measured results at a distance of 1, 5, 10, and 20 feet from both the firearm and the vehicle and noted after five minutes at each distance, that I was not dead. Nor did I even feel slightly dead or deadish in anyway whatsoever.

Now call me assumptive, but really did not see the need to add further distances since it seems reasonable that with any further extrapolations (or interpolations), that I would still not end up dead or even ish.

So what may we conclude? It appears that while this experiment does not rule out death at a distance by both objects, it does seem to point to some other causative effect as a necessary conjunctive requirement. Possibly human intervention? A wayward hand? A pernicious finger perhaps?

Since funding (and consequently scientific interest) has run out to find these answers, we will just have to leave it there.

code3run
08-23-2010, 11:11 AM
I know the feeling since my house was broken into about a month ago. They got two of my handguns. It really sucks and you get this feeling that you dont want to leave your house, like you need to stay home and protect it. Mine occured around 1pm to 115pm. Im sure I spooked them when I came home with my kids. Its a sick feeling.

mw20
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Getting my guns stolen is one of my worst nighmares. I used to keep mine in a locked gun cabinet that has a glass front panel. But since I moved into a more urban area I've given all my guns (less one for home defense) to a friend of mine that has a very secure safe. I also don't talk about what I have to anyone, unless I know I can trust them and I don't let many people in my house. Unfortunately, it sounds like the robber had knowledge whether directly or indirectly.

All of my guns are special to me, even if they are not worth that much.

4Defense
08-24-2010, 4:08 AM
Since cars kill many more Americans than guns, it is fair to assume that more people get killed by stolen cars than by stolen guns.

Wrong. Do a little more research. More people are killed by guns than cars eventhough cars get a lot more usage by people.

Legally, if you lock your door with your guns in the house, they are secure. Do most of us go beyond that? Sure. Are we required to? No.

In your imaginary world, you don't have to lock your doors. Everything is perfect. The birds are always chirping. The rainbow is over the sky 365 days out of the year. I don't know which world you're from but in my world or city eventhough it's very nice but not guarantee that it is crime free

And if a criminal breaks into someone's house and steals from them, it is generally not the fault of the occupant.

Can the occupant do better to keep criminals from having access to those weapons so easily by laying out in full view? If you treat every gun like it was a loaded weapon, then why the hell do you leave them unattended and unsecured ?

So why spend so much time trying to blame them and make them feel even worse about it?

Because of being irresponsible.

You seem very anti-gun and anti-gun owner. Are you sure that you are a gun owner?

Yes, I'm very anti-gun toward irresponsible people. Eventhough gun ownership is a right but that right is not suited for everybody. I can be a gun owner or anti gun owner depending on your IQ.

4Defense
08-24-2010, 4:15 AM
So I thought I would try a risky experiment to compare relative dangers of guns and vehicles at a distance. For practical reasons, I had to limit my range of distance to 20 feet and less.

I opened the door from my house into the garage to have a clean line of sight from the vehicle into the home, garage door being closed of course. I then very carefully placed my 1911 on a table next to the car with the same line of sight. I measured results at a distance of 1, 5, 10, and 20 feet from both the firearm and the vehicle and noted after five minutes at each distance, that I was not dead. Nor did I even feel slightly dead or deadish in anyway whatsoever.

Now call me assumptive, but really did not see the need to add further distances since it seems reasonable that with any further extrapolations (or interpolations), that I would still not end up dead or even ish.

So what may we conclude? It appears that while this experiment does not rule out death at a distance by both objects, it does seem to point to some other causative effect as a necessary conjunctive requirement. Possibly human intervention? A wayward hand? A pernicious finger perhaps?

Since funding (and consequently scientific interest) has run out to find these answers, we will just have to leave it there.

How about you do a real test. It can be done from your garage. You don't even have to go far.

You get in your car and have your buddy stand 20 feet away. Try to run him over from 20 feet and see if he can dodge out of the way. Do that 3 times. If he lives through that than it's his turn.

He'll hold a loaded gun and you stand from 20 feet away. He'll fire and you try to dodge. Try that 3 times and let us know what the result is.

adrenaline
08-24-2010, 5:37 AM
I only have one fire arm. When I leave the house, I lock it up in my safe. Not a very expensive one, as it only cost me $80 from Costco. I still have it bolted down though and hidden in my closet.

When I travel with the wife, I will never leave it in my car (I have a sporty car that is a high theft vehicle) and will carry it in a locked case strapped over my shoulder. Yeah I love my gun, but I see it first and foremost as a deadly weapon, then as a toy.

My wife once rolled her eyes and said to me, "You love your toy that much?"

I looked her very seriously in the eye and replied, "I could never live with myself if someone stole my vehicle with my gun in it, always knowing that if/when found it may probably be used in other crimes leading to loss of life."

She got it and has never questioned it again.

I personally started my BRD with my first firearm being a "guardian" tool. Do I want $30K in guns? HELL YEAH. I plan on getting more guns in life, but I don't ever see myself changing how I feel about guns even after 20 more.

Yes you can compare gun collecting and art collecting when laying them all out in a grandiose view. I would too. Just remember with greater POWER comes even greater responsibility. While I may bring them all out to clean them, appreciate them, I would also take the time to return them. My conscience always trumps my "What are the chances that...." mode of thinking.

razorx
08-24-2010, 9:17 AM
How about you do a real test. It can be done from your garage. You don't even have to go far.

You get in your car and have your buddy stand 20 feet away. Try to run him over from 20 feet and see if he can dodge out of the way. Do that 3 times. If he lives through that than it's his turn.

He'll hold a loaded gun and you stand from 20 feet away. He'll fire and you try to dodge. Try that 3 times and let us know what the result is.

You are now adding human intervention. :)

I wonder if there have ever been any incidents where cars have been used to run people over...

Point is, people have an amazing capacity to kill each other with whatever is handy.

Still, I don't think anyone will disagree with needing to keep firearms AND vehicles reasonably secured since both can be effectively used in killing people but ultimately, responsibility lies with the "pernicious finger".

a1c
08-24-2010, 9:44 AM
Not the car vs. gun thing again.

http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/facepalm.jpg

Droc101
08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Just because you are allowed to do something does not mean that you should nor that it would be responsible/smart for you to do so. Can you leave out your entire gun collection in your locked house? Yes. Is it smart to do? Probably not as shown by this maybe real probably fake incident.

Barabas
08-24-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm not going to clean up your quotes to show context for my response, but you need to do a little more research about gun violence stats vs. vehicular deaths. I mean you did call into question someones IQ, show your mastery over yours.

I think instead of your pro or anti status being dependent on the observer, I would say your opinions are emotion based and are merely devoid of factual basis.

Yes, I'm very anti-gun toward irresponsible people. Eventhough gun ownership is a right but that right is not suited for everybody. I can be a gun owner or anti gun owner depending on your IQ.

gbp
08-24-2010, 4:15 PM
if he is indeed wanting to buy a 1911, i personally would not sale any firearm to him. not even for double the value.
jm$0.02

b00gym4n
08-24-2010, 6:46 PM

I agree. I don't know anyone who owns 20k of guns that does not own a safe. Maybe he's fishing to see who doesn't own a safe so he can collect information and rob them of their goods. (evil like my pistol grip) No seriously though.. seems a bit weird, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say I'm sorry to hear that. Cause that REALLY SUCKS!

Barabas
08-24-2010, 7:35 PM
You know, I'm going to give the OP the benefit of doubt. There are plenty of people that are capable of operating a computer connected to the internet that don't speak or write English as a first language. A good number of the Koreans that are hailed as heroes due to their actions during the Rodney King riots didn't speak English fluently, even to this day. Give the guy a break.

Not everyone thinks to keep meticulous records or thinks much of off-handed comments to random passers-by. Discretion is the better part of valor, but we can't all be heroic.

Bonecrusher
08-24-2010, 9:35 PM
I think a catastrophic boating accident would have been more believable :rolleyes:

lol... I didn't want to sound like a dick, but I started to write that same exact thing back on page 1;)

joedogboy
08-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Not trying to derail this thread into a guns v. cars discussion, but because the facts were challenged...

These figures are based on 2007 data.
Firearms Death Rate per 100,000
United States 10.2
http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=113&cat=2

Motor Vehicle Death Rate per 100,000
United States 14.4

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=118&cat=2

Please not that these numbers include justifiable self defense shootings by citizens and LE personnel.

While the poster was very wrong, he's not alone in that - in 1996 or 1997,anti-gun propagandists at PBS's show "Frontline" stated that firearms deaths in America would exceed traffic fatalities by 2001.

In 1994, anti-gun propagandists at the CDC claimed that firearms deaths in America would exceed traffic fatalities by 2004.

Yet in 2007, automobiles caused almost half again as many deaths as firearms.