PDA

View Full Version : Gun world in burbank closing. What's up?

Booshanky
08-18-2010, 4:07 PM
Hi all,

Just got back from picking up a holster at gunworld and they said they were closing. Pretty tight lipped about it, didn't want to go into any detail about why, but they said "thank the LAPD".

Any idea what happened? And yes, I searched a bunch but didn't find any threads about them closing....

Air
08-18-2010, 4:25 PM
Well, I hate to see any gun store close down, but considering they are in Burbank PD jurisdiction, why would they be having trouble with LAPD? Weird.

I didn't shop there...

Booshanky
08-18-2010, 4:32 PM
I go in occasionally to buy accessories. I like their selection of weapons a lot, but that's about the extent of my experience with them.

I just hate how gun store employees are always so damn tight lipped about everything. Like they're just too cool to have a real conversation with you without being coy or vague or whatever. It seems like every gun store I go to has employees like that.

"Hey, you guys are closing?"

"Yep, closing up shop"

"howcome? Economic, legal?"

"just tired of dealing with the BS"

I'm just thinking "christ buddy, just answer the damn question!"

Thought I might be able to get a straight answer on the internets. Haha.

Air
08-18-2010, 4:36 PM
I go in occasionally to buy accessories. I like their selection of weapons a lot, but that's about the extent of my experience with them.

I just hate how gun store employees are always so damn tight lipped about everything. Like they're just too cool to have a real conversation with you without being coy or vague or whatever. It seems like every gun store I go to has employees like that.

"Hey, you guys are closing?"

"Yep, closing up shop"

"howcome? Economic, legal?"

"just tired of dealing with the BS"

I'm just thinking "christ buddy, just answer the damn question!"

Thought I might be able to get a straight answer on the internets. Haha.

I know somebody that knows the owner, I'll see if I can get in touch with him...

Jpach
08-18-2010, 4:37 PM
That really sucks. Theres a couple of cool guys there, the big 40-50ish year old guy, and a young guy with glasses. And another guy.

I really like their gun selection. 1911s, HKs, Berettas, Desert Eagles, Ruger pistols, etc.

They were really anti OLL for a while. I called them to do a transfer and they said ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Last I heard they jumped on board though. Probably selling bullet buttons for $75 a piece, knowing them lol.

Air
08-18-2010, 4:41 PM
just texted my friend, he said he hasn't heard anything?

HK4113
08-18-2010, 4:42 PM
straw sale----->suicide

nickvig
08-18-2010, 4:43 PM
Maybe they can't stay afloat (read: sell guns) since they'll only allow a select few in the back room to even see what they have and all their prices are over MSRP.

I've been in there 4 or 5 times and never been 'invited' to see their stock. I was intent on checking out a Colt so I went in slacks and a dress shirt and the salesman immediately invited me back. The attitude and sales strategy is probably what is sinking their business.

tomd1584
08-18-2010, 4:46 PM
If its true, then good.

that place is good for nothing other than window shopping, if you can stand the Rudeness. Rude, horrible Customer Service, high prices.
I live less than a mile away from there and still avoid it like the plague.

bsg
08-18-2010, 4:54 PM
another gun store closing? i understand Buckhorn Guns in Glendora just closed....

Big Jake
08-18-2010, 4:56 PM
I know Logan over there pretty well as I have bought several guns from him before. I will give him a call and see if I can get the 411. I will post up if I find anything out!

rimfire78
08-18-2010, 5:19 PM
I've made 3 purchases at Gun World over the last couple of years.
I stop by occasionally to window shop because they have a large selection, and there are a couple of guys there that are cool. But their prices are unbelievably high. And, I resent them because I actually think the manager and owner get a kick out of all the suckers they rip off. I've had a couple of really bad experiences with some of the other staff, and been treated badly when there was no need. I know we're getting low on gun stores but I for one like the idea.
Good riddance!

Booshanky
08-18-2010, 5:19 PM
That really sucks. Theres a couple of cool guys there, the big 40-50ish year old guy, and a young guy with glasses. And another guy.

I really like their gun selection. 1911s, HKs, Berettas, Desert Eagles, Ruger pistols, etc.

They were really anti OLL for a while. I called them to do a transfer and they said ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Last I heard they jumped on board though. Probably selling bullet buttons for $75 a piece, knowing them lol.

I was there today and saw an FS200, SCAR, a bunch of random AR's, P90's, plenty of good guns. So I can't say they're still anti-oll at all.

mydogsmonkey
08-18-2010, 5:21 PM
im actually glad theyre closing, if they are. thats all i have to add

Full Clip
08-18-2010, 5:24 PM

Same.
I was never confronted with actual rudeness, but the prices were certainly insulting.

Greg-Dawg
08-18-2010, 5:26 PM
Corruption and illegal activities.

jak77
08-18-2010, 5:28 PM
Suits me, never cared for them. Rude jerks if you ask me.

Booshanky
08-18-2010, 5:33 PM
Corruption and illegal activities.

Can you elaborate or is it more of a legal matter that can't be discussed as of yet?

I don't really care to pry or anything, but if it's info that can be out in the open I think it's legit for the pro-gun community to know what's going on with the stores in their areas.

I do dig their selection though. I was looking for a colt single action in .45LC and they actually had one. Not with the 7 inch barrel, but still had one. Nice to just be able to walk into a place and finger something you've had your mind on for a while. (been reading the dark tower series by Stephen King lately and thinking about picking up a wheel gun like Roland's)

tujungatoes
08-18-2010, 5:34 PM
oh noes! :rolleyes: what will we do without gunworld?

oh yeah...i'll just keep going to FCA:D

Booshanky
08-18-2010, 5:49 PM
oh noes! :rolleyes: what will we do without gunworld?

oh yeah...i'll just keep going to FCA:D

FCA?

VictorFranko
We have a tactical rifle practice Saturday and the Burbank PD range master more than likely will be there. I will tag this and try to find out the true dope.

Booshanky
Yeah, it's not a rumor or anything. They have a bunch of flyers posted up all over the shop about how they're closing, last days they can do transfers, sales, etc due to the 10 day wait, etc.

tujungatoes
08-18-2010, 5:54 PM
FCA?

Fort Courage Armory in Simi Valley

Greg-Dawg
08-18-2010, 5:59 PM
The Gun World employees probably didn't want to give you the details because most likely it's embarrassing and there are legal ramifications.

For now, we'll never know the exact reason. But they've been shady, and I'm sure they're not the only ones.

Booshanky
08-18-2010, 6:08 PM
Well that's too bad. I liked that they were pretty close to where I live. Anyone know of any good gun shops near Eagle Rock?

HK4113
08-18-2010, 6:11 PM
Well that's too bad. I liked that they were pretty close to where I live. Anyone know of any good gun shops near Eagle Rock?

read my post

OneApart
08-18-2010, 6:13 PM
I didn't like Gun World.

Seemed like an over-crowded hardware store, a disorganized one at that.

I for one won't miss em.

(no offense to anyone who likes them, just sharing my experience).

HotRails
08-18-2010, 6:19 PM
Hi Boo, where you been?

Booshanky
08-18-2010, 6:49 PM
read my post

I've never heard of a gun shop called "Straw sale ---> Suicide". Sounds like a real loser of a shop. Ha!

But seriously, huh?

Booshanky
08-18-2010, 6:50 PM
Hi Boo, where you been?

Workin my butt off. Since the economy took a dive all my clients have been relying on me WAY more than before. Hooray for "productivity gains", ugh.

But hey, could be unemployed right?

HCz
08-18-2010, 6:50 PM
Hi Boo, where you been?

+1 I thought he was banned.:eek:

Shady
08-18-2010, 7:06 PM
that place is very overpriced and has crappy service
they wont even do transfers on olls unless they are the seller

see ya guys

n2k
08-18-2010, 7:30 PM
straw sale----->suicide

Does this have anything to do with the firing line incident?

Try:
Aegis Trading Enterprises, LLC, right up the street.

1313 West Magnolia Boulevard
Burbank, CA 91506
(818) 972-9038

jello2594
08-18-2010, 8:16 PM
Last time I was there, I bought some 10-round mags that turned out to be hi-caps. I threw them away, of course.

Jpach
08-18-2010, 8:22 PM
Last time I was there, I bought some 10-round mags that turned out to be hi-caps. I threw them away, of course.

Theres no crime in purchasing high caps. But I have a feeling there was an implied ";)" in there somweheres :p

Greg-Dawg
08-18-2010, 8:22 PM

Pawn shops...but the only real good ones around our area (grew up in Highland Park all my life) would just be Turners in Pasadena. I get most of my accessories online now, but for guns...you'll have to drive 50+ miles. Gun World is only good for eye candy.

nick
08-18-2010, 8:39 PM
Hopefully a decent gun store will open where they used to be. Who knows, I might actually visit it again then :)

rimfire78
08-18-2010, 9:02 PM
Yeah, :censored:Gun World!!!:clap:

Fate
08-18-2010, 9:18 PM
Gun World closing? Can this day get any better? Hahahahahahahaha... :party:

I never thought I'd say this, but THANKS LAPD!!! :)

l_Z_l
08-18-2010, 9:44 PM
i've been there once kinda small. fren went to pick up a five-seven.

gun gallery

1125 South Central Avenue
Glendale, CA 91204

Get Directions
(818) 244-9800

ArkinDomino
08-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Gun world was a lousy store for prices and customer service but the selection was nice. Gun gallery isn't any better/different.

bigmike82
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm not sad that GW is closing. They sucked...

That said, I am sad that a gun store is closing. That's one more iota of peace to our *** *#*#*%#* city councilors.

aermotor
08-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Prices through the roof on every item possible?

HK4113
08-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Maybe they will have a going out of business sale. It would be the only thing that would get me to step a foot in there.

K.G.B.
08-18-2010, 11:33 PM
You guys make me sad.... just don't forget, your favorite gun shop is probably next!

Booshanky
08-19-2010, 5:14 AM
+1 I thought he was banned.:eek:

From OT, yeah.

rimfire78
08-19-2010, 10:19 AM
You guys make me sad.... just don't forget, your favorite gun shop is probably next!

Too bad so sad.

djleisure
08-19-2010, 2:15 PM
Maybe they will have a going out of business sale. It would be the only thing that would get me to step a foot in there.
This would be great! Then we could buy guns for only $100 over MSRP - sweet!

Went in there a couple days after the Sig 522 came out - was actually willing to spend around $550 (maybe $600 if super-psyched on it)... their price tag? $699! :( I believe MSRP is about $500 on that gun. Didn't like it anyway, but have never been back since.

Big Jake
08-19-2010, 2:19 PM
I called them today and the guy I know that works there was not available so I asked the person who answered the phone what the story was and he told me that they were going out of business but would not elaborate as to why. He seemed annoyed at the question. They are probably getting lots of calls on this and are tired of it!

bodger
08-19-2010, 2:25 PM
I hate to see any gun store go out, but if one has to go, the jag-offs at GW would be my choice.

tujungatoes
08-19-2010, 2:40 PM
I called them today and the guy I know that works there was not available so I asked the person who answered the phone what the story was and he told me that they were going out of business but would not elaborate as to why. He seemed annoyed at the question. They are probably getting lots of calls on this and are tired of it!

I'd be annoyed too if people kept telling me "You suck, F*** you!...Hey why are you leaving?"

:DLOL

aratron
08-19-2010, 3:04 PM
I found it rather strange that GW will call to remind me to pick up my gun ... sure enough, it is because they are closing.

Rather strange to see them being shutdown like that. According to the person on the phone. The last day for them to do transfer is 8/21. Which means they will not be handling guns in Sep.

When I was there to start my DROS, the guys there were talking about how good their business was. I really wonder about what happened in the last few days exactly.

It makes no sense to close a profitable shop. Either something financial or legal related I say ... yet it is not severe enough for an immediate shutdown.

Full Clip
08-19-2010, 5:00 PM
Hmmm, will there be a sale in their future...?

HK4113
08-19-2010, 5:05 PM
Hmmm, will there be a sale in their future...?

we can only hope

sideshowhr
08-19-2010, 5:15 PM
If its true, then good.

that place is good for nothing other than window shopping, if you can stand the Rudeness. Rude, horrible Customer Service, high prices.

+1

never felt comfortable in there.

always got the "if you ain't buyin, i ain't help" feeling.

bluestaterebel
08-19-2010, 5:27 PM
No one knows the real reason yet?

rimfire78
08-19-2010, 7:55 PM
Went into GW a few months back and was quoted $699 on a WASR. A couple days later I saw Henderson had WASR's for around $400 shipped. I went into GW again and the little round weaselly manager told me I could have one of theirs for $799. (A hundred dollars more than i'd been quoted the week before) When I told him I could get one for $400, he laughed in my face and said they would never meet such a "ridiculous" price.
- Well, it's a cruel world out there weasel. :)

ChrisToad
08-19-2010, 8:42 PM
I stopped in GW today after work... not knowing about their 'going out of business' thing... They're notoriously overpriced every time I've been in there.

So I was eyeballing a Sig I liked... they go back into the office to 'work me out a deal' and emerge with a price. I was iffy and left. I called Turners afterward and the Turner's regular price still cheaper than the Gun World 'deal'. No wonder they're not making ends meet.

we can only hope

Their signs in the store say their last firearm sale will be 8/21/10, this Saturday.

rimfire78
08-19-2010, 8:47 PM
Hey, what happens to all the purchase records when a gun store closes?

RRangel
08-19-2010, 8:56 PM
Well, I hate to see any gun store close down, but considering they are in Burbank PD jurisdiction, why would they be having trouble with LAPD? Weird.

I didn't shop there...

The LAPD Gun Unit seems to be known for operating out of their city. This could be one possibility.

cannon
08-19-2010, 9:00 PM

I believe they go to the Feds.

Mssr. Elegantť
08-19-2010, 9:06 PM

I believe they go to the Feds.

Yes, that's correct. When a gun store closes the FFL has 30 days to ship his records to the BATFE Out-of-Business Records Center. The FFL can destroy any records that are over 20 years old, even while they are still in business.

tomd1584
08-19-2010, 9:17 PM
Try:

Burbank, CA 91506
(818) 972-9038

They suck too. I have more guns in my safe than they do on display.

Surf & Turf
08-19-2010, 9:59 PM
I almost got a bargain there for a PPT! They had wanted me to pay $36 for the required lock......hahahahah.....

The guy that had the Charlie Chaplin moustache was a "real TOOL." I was a bit early and the guy asked what I needed. I said waiting on a PPT. Cool. Well, since I was waiting anyhow, I asked him to show me some of the handguns. He kind of sneered and said " only for buying customers!" WTH!!!!!!

Love the "character of that place." I guess they cater to the movie monguls ..... :rolleyes:.......

eijjie33
08-19-2010, 10:02 PM

can i window shop in your guns safe instead....lol :D

meangreen46
08-19-2010, 10:22 PM

Why does it matter what they have in stock? If you walked in to Gun World and they didn't have the gun you wanted....what did they do? They ordered it. Same with these guys. I recently ordered two guns from Aegis. They came in 3 days later....DROSd them and had them 10 days later.

The guys that work there said they are building the business back up after having been closed. If the quality of a gun store is judged by their inventory, then all the "Gun Worlds" will be shutting down since they had to charge 200-300 over MSRP just to keep that eye candy on the shelves.

Not trying to start an argument and yes..this is my first post....but we need to support the local shops or they won't be there anymore for us. We'll end up driving to the end of the world to buy guns and ammo or even worse...just to do a PPT.

rimfire78
08-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Actually Aegis (gun country at the time, same staff though) was the first gun store I ever knew of, selling AR's with bullet buttons. While Gun World was spreading FUD 3 blocks away, these guys were educating people about the law.
They have a small selection, but some of their prices are pretty good, and they're always helpful.

WoodrowShootist
08-20-2010, 3:48 AM
what's up with cws and botac? i thought cws was just moving and botac is still up and running...

the sale will prolly be a mark up sale! the "last chance for us to jack you even harder" sale haaha

Olav
08-20-2010, 4:24 AM
Looks like their FFL expired end of 2008 and they have been operating under LOA (Letter of Authorization) since then. Their latest LOA expires 10/11/2010.

I'm guessing they had trouble renewing their FFL.

When you have sent your Federal Firearms License (FFL) Renewal Application, ATF Form 8 Part II, to ATF prior to the expiration of your federal firearms license and the application form has been postmarked before the expiration date, you may request a Letter of Authorization (LOA) from the Federal Firearms Licensing Center (FFLC) to facilitate and carry on your business operations while your renewal application is in a pending status. The LOA provides evidence to your distributors that you may continue your business operations under your current license until ATF has completed the processing of your renewal application, even if the time needed by ATF to process the application extends beyond the expiration date of the current license. The LOA will state that operations may continue under the existing license for a period of up to six months. If the FFLC does not complete processing of the application within the six month period specified in the LOA, you may request the FFLC to extend the LOA. You may also provide copies of the LOA to your suppliers.

randy
08-20-2010, 5:17 AM
Lots of FFL's are running under the LOA it's a problem with the government burrocats. Yes I know that's not how it's spelled.

Olav
08-20-2010, 5:39 AM
Two years is a long time...

Charliegun
08-20-2010, 9:53 AM
Like Aegis Enterprises before them, I hear they will be closed for a while as they try to deal with this FFL issue and then will try to re-open again, perhaps under a different name. But who knows how long that will take if it will occur at all. Same goes for Cold War Shooters.

meangreen46
08-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Like Aegis Enterprises before them, I hear they will be closed for a while as they try to deal with this FFL issue and then will try to re-open again, perhaps under a different name. But who knows how long that will take if it will occur at all. Same goes for Cold War Shooters.

From what I hear, it's not a simple FFL issue. Like somebody already said....one of their guys (the coolest one) took his own life in the back room. They are ultra shady and Im sure ATF had some say so in their close date.

para38super
08-20-2010, 12:23 PM
From what I hear, it's not a simple FFL issue. Like somebody already said....one of their guys (the coolest one) took his own life in the back room. They are ultra shady and Im sure ATF had some say so in their close date.

Is this true. What guy was that? Was this during business hours? :confused:

meangreen46
08-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Is this true. What guy was that? Was this during business hours? :confused:

Yes it is true...unfortunately. He was a great kid and the only person in that place that would talk to people like they were human beings. I'm not clear on the details, but I think it happened before hours and in the back of the business.

glbtrottr
08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
C'ya later, Gunworld. You were never part of our little community, your people sucked, your prices were exorbitant, you never campaigned much in the gun community, you were rude, and it sounds like you had legal problems.

Hopefully flipping burgers will be a better career for y'all.

RANDO
08-20-2010, 1:17 PM
If its true, then good.

+1000

Fate
08-20-2010, 1:37 PM
You guys are missing the Big Picture... 1st Cold War Shooters 2nd Botach 3rd GunWorld... Who is going to be next???

Based on the vitriol level....TURNERS!

LOL

ChrisToad
08-21-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm sitting at the GW counter now... I stopped in on the way to the beach. Named my price on a Sig and they wrote it up with no argument. Midaswell stop in if you're looking for something in particular.

bluestaterebel
08-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm sitting at the GW counter now... I stopped in on the way to the beach. Named my price on a Sig and they wrote it up with no argument. Midaswell stop in if you're looking for something in particular.

Under MSRP?

rimfire78
08-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Yes it is true...unfortunately. He was a great kid and the only person in that place that would talk to people like they were human beings. I'm not clear on the details, but I think it happened before hours and in the back of the business.

How long ago did this happen?

Cokebottle
08-21-2010, 11:16 AM
You guys are missing the Big Picture... 1st Cold War Shooters 2nd Botach 3rd GunWorld... Who is going to be next???
CWS is due to a divorce situation, and they will reopen under a new name with a new FFL.
The Highland store is expanding as we speak.

Botach? Ask BWO about his experiences. Lack of customer service, and therefore, lack of customers, is what hurt them.
I believe BWO's statement was along the lines of "Botach Tactical effed me so hard they should have given me an engagement ring"

And now Gunworld.

Yes... the Big Picture is that the LGS needs to realize that they are not ENTITLED to our business. If they don't take care of their customers, they won't have any left. A retail business is a balance of three things... Pricing, availability, and customer service.

Most people are willing to pay a bit more for an item that is in stock, or to buy from a business that provides excellent customer service.

If I'm going to have to order an item and wait, then there is no reason for me not to save a few bucks, order it online, and not have to make a 2nd trip to the store to pick it up (which with my working hours means that, depending on their store hours, it could be as long as two weeks before I can get back to the store).

If I go into a shop and their customer service sucks, their prices had better be damned good or they aren't getting a penny.
Sadly, it seems that in most cases, poor customer service and high prices go hand in hand... and too frequently, add lack of availability to that list.

There was a hobby shop not far from me.... HobbyTown USA... it was a chain... prices were higher than Hobby Shack and certainly higher than Tower... but the manager and employees were flaming idiots, and their inventory level was horrible. Took me a MONTH to get an item that I had to special order, that I could have had in 4 days... for 25% less... from Tower.
They didn't last long.

Big Jake
08-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Please tell me it was not Logan who offed himself. I know him and he is a good guy! :confused::(

ChrisToad
08-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Under MSRP?

Yes, I wasn't trying to kill them or be unfair... I named the cheapest price I found online.

Oh, Logan was there with a smile on his face per normal. He's who I talked with.

Big Jake
08-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Yes, I wasn't trying to kill them or be unfair... I named the cheapest price I found online.

Oh, Logan was there with a smile on his face per normal. He's who I talked with.

I am glad he is okay. Good guy and always smiling!

meangreen46
08-21-2010, 1:01 PM
Please tell me it was not Logan who offed himself. I know him and he is a good guy! :confused::(

From the Burbank Leader:

Briefly In Public Safety
July 01, 2009

Death at gun shop ruled a suicide

A 29-year-old employee of a local firearm dealer shot himself in the head about 3 p.m. Saturday in a back room at Gun World in the 2400 block of West Magnolia Boulevard, police said.

Martin Navarro, of Studio City, was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, said John Kades, an investigator with the Los Angeles County coronerís office.

Big Jake
08-21-2010, 1:03 PM
From the Burbank Leader:

Briefly In Public Safety
July 01, 2009

Death at gun shop ruled a suicide

A 29-year-old employee of a local firearm dealer shot himself in the head about 3 p.m. Saturday in a back room at Gun World in the 2400 block of West Magnolia Boulevard, police said.

Martin Navarro, of Studio City, was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, said John Kades, an investigator with the Los Angeles County coronerís office.

I know who he was. What a horrible thing to hear about! :(

meangreen46
08-21-2010, 1:15 PM
If I'm going to have to order an item and wait, then there is no reason for me not to save a few bucks, order it online, and not have to make a 2nd trip to the store to pick it up (which with my working hours means that, depending on their store hours, it could be as long as two weeks before I can get back to the store).

If this was 10 years ago...I would agree...but with the size of my collection now, I would be surprised if any store had the gun or other merchandise that I would need on hand. The last three guns I bought had to be ordered and I went to 6 stores before giving up. I'd rather have one or two stores that I trust that can order for me than have to pay $100 plus for an FFL transfer from someplace else.

audihenry
08-21-2010, 1:18 PM
Let's see:

1) Terrible attitude, don't know how to deal with customers.
2) Large selection, but crappy prices.
3) Won't quote prices over the phone, thus I completely disregard what inventory they even might have on that basis alone.
4) Treat OLLs, BBs, and many other newer developments worse than a high school principal would treat cocaine on campus.
5) Constant problems/delays/muttering/*****ing about PPTs.

So why would anyone continue going there? I'm glad it's going under. At least now better run gunshops can thrive.

Big Jake
08-21-2010, 1:18 PM
I know a lot of people did not like this store but I always got discounts from them and was well treated. My experience anyway!

SiLenTSPeakeR
08-21-2010, 1:30 PM
GUN world is JUNK! Hopefully a better retailer takes over or opens. Time for a change!

Fjold
08-21-2010, 1:30 PM

If there is a market, a new gunshop will open up. You don't have to put up with bad service or bad attitudes.

Charliegun
08-21-2010, 5:23 PM
Well, today was their last day selling guns. And they close their doors for good at the end of September (only selling accessories now). Even to the end, their prices were far above MSRP and the owner refused to take decent deals (I'm talking just paying MSRP) from dozens of customers who were looking for a bargain.

I'll agree with the marjority of people that Gun World had exorbitant prices with regards to new weapons. But they had decent deals on ammo and they had an exceptional selection of consignment weapons. In fact, the prices on their consignment weapons were often below blue book and I bought several.

Another one bites the dust...

uxo2
08-21-2010, 6:43 PM
Same.
I was never confronted with actual rudeness, but the prices were certainly insulting.

Sticker shock made me leave

MADxBRAPPER
08-24-2010, 3:08 PM
I am a business owner in the area of Gun World and from info i have received from the mail man, my barber, the guy on the corner, the taco bell employee, and a few other people in the neighborhood this is what i have found out. There was a straw purchase at some point which got them into trouble with the feds. There was the suicide in the store where one of the employees took his own life. I did not know the guy personally but heard he was super cool and my prayers go out to him and his people. I also heard they had been operating under some sort of extension and could not get renewed. There was a statement made to someone i know by an employee to the effect of "We are tired of dealing with the BS." Between all of these things maybe they just decided to throw in the towel. Gun World was not conducive to repeat business and i must say they lasted longer then i ever thought they would. The bad attitudes, over priced merchandise and the unwillingness to do ppt's definitely did not help their cause. Before i swore them off for good i noticed that almost all their customers at least while i was there, were first time gun buyers. I think their selection had a lot to do with them being around as long as they were. On another much better note there is a new shop opening in a few weeks on the 1500 block of Magnolia which is only a few blocks east and i have already met the guys and they are SUPER COOL!!!! They have assured me their pricing is going to be very competitive and they are looking to be there for the long haul. If anyone wants more info on the new shop PM me and as i get info like opening dates i will let you guys know. ***All above info on Gun World is SPECULATION! I know none of it to be fact, its just what i heard.***

Greg-Dawg
08-24-2010, 3:33 PM
Everytime a gun shop closes, Krystel sheds one tear.

...On another much better note there is a new shop opening in a few weeks on the 1500 block of Magnolia which is only a few blocks east and i have already met the guys and they are SUPER COOL!!!! They have assured me their pricing is going to be very competitive and they are looking to be there for the long haul. If anyone wants more info on the new shop PM me and as i get info like opening dates i will let you guys know. ***All above info on Gun World is SPECULATION! I know none of it to be fact, its just what i heard.***

Why the need to PM? Just share it out in the open...what's the name of the new shop? Does it start with a "T" and end with "urner's".

MADxBRAPPER
08-24-2010, 4:25 PM
Everytime a gun shop closes, Krystel sheds one tear.

Why the need to PM? Just share it out in the open...what's the name of the new shop? Does it start with a "T" and end with "urner's".

No Need to PM i just get lazy and don't have all of the info yet. I will do my best to keep up to date on this as to let everyone know about the new shop....If you do not hear from me though feel free to PM. That is what i meant to say the first time =)....-MxB P.S. and no its not Turners =P The name of the new shop is Guns Direct .

Cokebottle
08-24-2010, 5:26 PM
On another much better note there is a new shop opening in a few weeks on the 1500 block of Magnolia which is only a few blocks east and i have already met the guys and they are SUPER COOL!!!!
Just west of Aegis, near Sparks?

Way cool!

lomalinda
08-24-2010, 5:40 PM
How long was GW in business?

MADxBRAPPER
08-24-2010, 5:49 PM

It had to be 7 years at least maybe longer...

MADxBRAPPER
08-24-2010, 5:50 PM
Just west of Aegis, near Sparks?

Way cool!

Between Beachwood and Sparks

Cokebottle
08-24-2010, 6:04 PM
Between Beachwood and Sparks
Hmm.... is it going into the new brick building going in on a south-east corner (can't recall the actual intersection right now)?

MADxBRAPPER
08-24-2010, 6:09 PM
Nope and thats all i can say for now =P

CALI-gula
08-24-2010, 6:32 PM
Wow. From reading this thread, I'm a bit shocked.

First, I am no shill for Gun World and I patronize plenty of different gun stores. But I was always treated very well at Gun World, with smiles, and they were always friendly to me; they did PPTs fast, and while I agree their prices were inflated on new guns, I found plenty of collectible consginment guns that were well UNDER-priced.

And the owner was not shy to negotiate new-gun prices down to reasonable levels either - even lower than Turners sales pricing.

I DO in fact think he was fully aware that he got a lot of first-timers in there, hence the link to the range, and in my opinion he probably did put prices at MSRP in hopes that not everyone talks prices down and first-timers rarely bargain-hunt, but instead, buy the experience and shooting lessons as a package (also, that is an an area that has money too - so likley that many customers may not have thought to negotiate at all, but simply paid the stated price).

I also don't undertand the comments about their not having sufficient stock? Maybe 5 years go, but in the past year, they have not only had plenty of items in stock, but they had many models of guns in the store clogging the shelves, some that simply could not be found elsewhere. So on that I'm: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't think they were so bad that jumping-for-joy over this closure is warranted. Many of the issues I have heard have been really mundane - but nothing "scammy" in nature.

The biggest displeasure really seems to be associated with their prices, which is not something hidden; don't like it? Negotiate it down or don't buy it, but I don't see how overpricing is a "scam" or a real reason to fully hate the place or people that work there. It's a free-market - buy elsewhere; and most often with Gun World, I did buy elsewhere. :shrug:

Oh well. In my opinion, this is a bummer. Sorry; I can't join the "happy" crowd over this. The place had its faults, prices were a hurdle, but I don't think any so bad that rejoicing over their closure is warranted.

In fact, I felt the place was just getting to be a really great store in the past 6 months! :(

RIP Gun World. I won't cry over it, but I am a bit bummed.

meangreen46
08-24-2010, 7:13 PM
And the owner was not shy to negotiate new-gun prices down to reasonable levels either - even lower than Turners sales pricing.

I don't know what owners you speak of. I know of at least three people that spend ALOT of money there ($60-100k over time). The owners know them well. Each of them them at different times have been insulted by GW owners after having asked to take tax off a sale or some percentage off.

My family and I have been going to GW since they were over in Van Nuys. I can tell you this....There has never, ever been a time that a price on their guns was lower than a Turner sales price. In fact, I have only known them to be as low as $150 over MSRP.

Now, with this "New" gun store opening......I wouldn't be surprised that we see ALL of the guns that were at GW "show up" over at this new place. It's a little too coincidental that GW has been doing business on a LOA then all of a sudden this place pops up. You can't decide overnight to open a shop. It takes a very long time and requires a bunch of licenses.

I guess if this "New" store is, in fact, a new store, then more power to us. It helps having multiple places to go. If it is just a cover for Joe and Paul to transfer their merchandise and start under a new name, it will stick out.

Cokebottle
08-24-2010, 8:21 PM
If it is just a cover for Joe and Paul to transfer their merchandise and start under a new name, it will stick out.
And if that's the case, word will spread quickly.

I've been in GW a couple of times. Was offered help, but always declined and let them know that I was just drooling over their 1911 selection.

Roccobro
08-24-2010, 8:25 PM
Lightning crashes, a new mother cries
Her placenta falls to the floor
The angel opens her eyes, the confusion sets in
Before the doctor can even close the door

Lightning crashes, an old mother dies
Her intentions fall to the floor
The angel closes her eyes, the confusion that was hers
Belongs now, to the baby down the hall

1 SIG fan
08-24-2010, 8:45 PM
I've been told theyv been busted numerous times selling off list pistols to regular guys. Hell. They tried to sell me a backwater tactical but with 4 10rnd mags. I heard they sold a oflist to a guy and another customer in the shop (undercover gun squad guy) saw it. Their standard MO is to fire the sales guy and continue on. They always had offlist stuff for sale

nemisis1400
08-24-2010, 9:13 PM
On another much better note there is a new shop opening in a few weeks on the 1500 block of Magnolia which is only a few blocks east and i have already met the guys and they are SUPER COOL!!!!

Not too sure, but do you mean these guys?

Burbank, CA 91506
(818) 972-9038

uxo2
08-24-2010, 9:29 PM
Gunworld reminded me of when B&B was in buisness..
RUDE...

But
Pony Express.
Sherwoods.
were always good to me
before the bans came.

BYE BYE GW......
Not a tear will be shed from me.

nickvig
08-24-2010, 11:00 PM
And if that's the case, word will spread quickly.

I've been in GW a couple of times. Was offered help, but always declined and let them know that I was just drooling over their 1911 selection.

Oh you mean they actually let you into the back to look at the guns? Most people who patronized that shop didn't even get that far.

And what's with the Live quote above? A little odd......

juicy
08-24-2010, 11:01 PM
buddy of mine is opening his gunshop in burbank in October. :D

CALI-gula
08-25-2010, 12:47 AM
I don't know what owners you speak of. I know of at least three people that spend ALOT of money there ($60-100k over time). The owners know them well. Each of them them at different times have been insulted by GW owners after having asked to take tax off a sale or some percentage off.

My family and I have been going to GW since they were over in Van Nuys. I can tell you this....There has never, ever been a time that a price on their guns was lower than a Turner sales price. In fact, I have only known them to be as low as $150 over MSRP.

I don't know what to say to you, other than maybe it is my approach? I tend to approach all things and all people with positive respect and good cheer, and so maybe that tends to pay off in other ways?

I find the many complaints expressed about various gun stores rarely ever ring true with my repeat experiences in those same shops, often with the same sales-reps for whom they claim to have been beleaguered on a regular basis. But then again, I often hear their stories of being repeat recipients of road-rage, happening to them over and over, yet I can't recall ever having experiences as they suffer from so often.

Odd, isn't that?

In any case, Paul specifically came down lower than a Turner's SALE price for me on an H&K Elite two years ago. Of course it was after I asked, and the price on the tag was higher than typical MSRP, but that is no different than what I said above. If you asked or negotiated, it was often done.

As for my part, of course I don't know what three people that spend ALOT of money there that you speak of, as I didn't spend much money there at all, but my discussions and purchases with Paul and one of the other guys always went off without issue - and as above, usually involved a negotiated price to my benefit, usually lower than what I saw for the same gun at Turners, Rettings, or LA Guns (when Ted was still in business.)

But yeah, I had to ask. ;)

Spearo
08-25-2010, 2:09 AM
I worked in the gun business for a while. Heard some things about Gun World that were no bueno. Have a strong suspicion as to why they are "shutting down", but I'd rather not discuss it here.

Iknownot
08-25-2010, 9:04 AM
Oh you mean they actually let you into the back to look at the guns? Most people who patronized that shop didn't even get that far.

I find that really odd.

The couple of times I was in GW, I just walked into the back and looked around. No one said anything. I was asked if I needed any help while I was back there and I said I was just poking around and no one hassled me.

I wasn't treated any more or less friendly/rude than other larger gun shops, like turners or Martin B Retting.

I never bought anything at GW, because as everyone has said, the prices were crazy compared to other places, but I met someone for a transfer there and the transaction was handled professionally and quickly.

So I have no reason to complain about GW, in my limited experience with them.

I will say I am sad to see them go if only because they were the only store I have been in in So Cal that had a selection that large. They had guns sitting on the shelf that you couldn't see in person anywhere else.

Even places like Fowler's down in O.C. couldn't come close to GW's overall selection.

meangreen46
08-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't know what to say to you, other than maybe it is my approach? I tend to approach all things and all people with positive respect and good cheer, and so maybe that tends to pay off in other ways?

I find the many complaints expressed about various gun stores rarely ever ring true with my repeat experiences in those same shops, often with the same sales-reps for whom they claim to have been beleaguered on a regular basis. But then again, I often hear their stories of being repeat recipients of road-rage, happening to them over and over, yet I can't recall ever having experiences as they suffer from so often.

Odd, isn't that?

In any case, Paul specifically came down lower than a Turner's SALE price for me on an H&K Elite two years ago. Of course it was after I asked, and the price on the tag was higher than typical MSRP, but that is no different than what I said above. If you asked or negotiated, it was often done.

As for my part, of course I don't know what three people that spend ALOT of money there that you speak of, as I didn't spend much money there at all, but my discussions and purchases with Paul and one of the other guys always went off without issue - and as above, usually involved a negotiated price to my benefit, usually lower than what I saw for the same gun at Turners, Rettings, or LA Guns (when Ted was still in business.)

But yeah, I had to ask. ;)

All I can say is that if you read through 99 percent of these posts, they are opposite to what you experienced almost all of the time. Also, judging by the "they deserved it" mentality shared by most of us....you got lucky. :confused: Having worked in retail when I was in high school and college, then owning my own company.....I know how to respectfully approach workers and owners to negotiate. Keep in mind...I wouldn't have had to negotiate if the price was fair to begin with.

Anyway, I don't know how they stayed open so long to begin with. Maybe it had to do with why they closed. Either way, we have a new gun store in town. Hopefully they learned from GW's mistakes.

meangreen46
08-25-2010, 10:27 AM
I will say I am sad to see them go if only because they were the only store I have been in in So Cal that had a selection that large. They had guns sitting on the shelf that you couldn't see in person anywhere else.

Even places like Fowler's down in O.C. couldn't come close to GW's overall selection.

That's why they charged 200-300 over MSRP. Also, the reason why Paul was always pissed when people wouldn't buy a gun. They put out a ton of money to keep the candy on those shelves. The only thing they didn't think about was that the average customer is somebody who is gonna shop around.

MADxBRAPPER
08-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Now, with this "New" gun store opening......I wouldn't be surprised that we see ALL of the guns that were at GW "show up" over at this new place. It's a little too coincidental that GW has been doing business on a LOA then all of a sudden this place pops up. You can't decide overnight to open a shop. It takes a very long time and requires a bunch of licenses.

I guess if this "New" store is, in fact, a new store, then more power to us. It helps having multiple places to go. If it is just a cover for Joe and Paul to transfer their merchandise and start under a new name, it will stick out.

There is absolutely no relation between Gun World and Guns Direct. I give my word on this, they had already rented the space before anyone knew Gun World was going under. I went to High School with the owners of Guns Direct and i can vouch for them with no reservations. When i get the opening date i am going to post it under general gun discussions with "Guns Direct" in the title. That way anyone who wants the info can just punch that into a search and i will keep you all updated on the new shop. To make it even easier here is the link to the Guns Direct Post:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=335577

Also someone said above that the new shop is AEGIS and its not. AEGIS has been there for awhile under a few diff names. I like the guys at AEGIS and do all of my PPT's there. I just wish their inventory was better, someone needs to bank roll them so they can fill their shelves!

meangreen46
08-25-2010, 10:52 AM
There is absolutely no relation between Gun World and Guns Direct. I give my word on this, they had already rented the space before anyone knew Gun World was going under. I went to High School with the owners of Guns Direct and i can vouch for them with no reservations. When i get the opening date i am going to post it under general gun discussions with "Guns Direct" in the title. That way anyone who wants the info can just punch that into a search and i will keep you all updated on the new shop.

Also someone said above that the new shop is AEGIS and its not. AEGIS has been there for awhile under a few diff names. I like the guys at AEGIS and do all of my PPT's there. I just wish their inventory was better, someone needs to bank roll them so they can fill their shelves!

Great news....thanks for the update! On a side note, I picked up a gun yesterday from Aegis and told them they need more stock. They said they are working on it with some of the manufacturers and should have more on the shelves shortly. The contracts they have to sign just to get in a few guns sounded crazy! Hopefully your buddies are good guys...it would be cool to have two places to go to again that are nearby.

DaveFJ80
08-25-2010, 2:11 PM
I noticed that almost all their customers at least while i was there, were first time gun buyers. I think their selection had a lot to do with them being around as long as they were.

I also noticed this the couple of times I went in there last year, when I still lived over in that area. They did have an abundant selection of firearms, which was nice eye candy for a lot of novice gun buyers (which I saw a lot of in there). The Benelli SuperNova tactical that I was looking at was priced right (well $520 with them, $499 at Turners). But the Mossberg 500 w/Knox stock was $750 and the 870 with pistol grip was $725. Don't know what they were thinking there. Otherwise, they were busy both days I was there (on Saturdays) but the sales clerk was still very helpful and courteous to me.

I did see a guy checking out a SA XD40 and then a XD9, both stock with no night sights. He ultimately chose the XD40 and wanted to buy it right then & there.

The sales clerk told him the price and the guy agreed and paid it.... $749 for the stock XD40 :shock:

Cokebottle
08-25-2010, 5:38 PM
Wasn't a problem at all. I walked in, walked through the passageway to the right, looking at the stuff hanging on the walls, and straight back to the handgun collection.
Live quote?

jester
08-25-2010, 6:35 PM
Theres no crime in purchasing high caps. But I have a feeling there was an implied ";)" in there somweheres :p

This :)

Roccobro
08-25-2010, 9:23 PM

Live quote?

He's talking about the lyrics posted that fit the topic. It was obviously an airplane joke if he had to ask.

Justin

zatoh
08-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Sad to see them close. I mainly did PPTs and bought ammo there but was always treated well. I was never denied entrance to the back room so hearing that puzzles me. My only beef was when they started charging $150 for receiving guns that you purchased from out of state. Ouch. They weren't rude about it though...just business I guess.

munkeeboi
08-26-2010, 12:01 PM
http://www.gunworldburbank.com/

new ownership??!?!?!?!?

phantomson9
08-26-2010, 2:17 PM
Well unless this "new owner" reads this thread I guess we can pretty much count on nothing changing there.

ADDAX2
08-26-2010, 3:40 PM
Addax Tactical is a few minutes North of Burbank on the 5

MORE INFO HERE (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=336032)

nickvig
08-26-2010, 3:53 PM
He's talking about the lyrics posted that fit the topic. It was obviously an airplane joke if he had to ask.

Justin

I understand the quote, it's just a tad goofy, IMO. Far from a joke...but back to your regularly scheduled bad gun store closing thread.....

nickvig
08-26-2010, 3:54 PM
Wasn't a problem at all. I walked in, walked through the passageway to the right, looking at the stuff hanging on the walls, and straight back to the handgun collection.

Live quote?

I had to ask to see what they had and even then they were hesitant about letting me back there. Even in business dress clothes. Oh well, no sweat off my back.

Jbox
08-26-2010, 4:09 PM
I also noticed this the couple of times I went in there last year, when I still lived over in that area. They did have an abundant selection of firearms, which was nice eye candy for a lot of novice gun buyers (which I saw a lot of in there). The Benelli SuperNova tactical that I was looking at was priced right (well $520 with them, $499 at Turners). But the Mossberg 500 w/Knox stock was $750 and the 870 with pistol grip was $725. Don't know what they were thinking there. Otherwise, they were busy both days I was there (on Saturdays) but the sales clerk was still very helpful and courteous to me.

I did see a guy checking out a SA XD40 and then a XD9, both stock with no night sights. He ultimately chose the XD40 and wanted to buy it right then & there.

The sales clerk told him the price and the guy agreed and paid it.... $749 for the stock XD40 :shock:

Sadly this place was my first gun buying experience and I still cant sit right. I paid $450 fora P89 and my buddy paid if I'm not mistaken $900 for a Sig239. Luckily I came here met all you people and got set straight. But yeah screw Gun World I couldn't think of as more deserving place!!!!

Cokebottle
08-26-2010, 5:32 PM
I had to ask to see what they had and even then they were hesitant about letting me back there. Even in business dress clothes. Oh well, no sweat off my back.
Maybe they thought you were a cop?

I was wearing dirty Levis and a dirty orange t-shirt after work.

phantomson9
08-27-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't know why the acted they way yeh did towsrds anyone. I went in there and was looking for a 1911 on multiple occasions some times they talked to me other times it was like I was a ghost. Sometimes they were helping people that were blatantly atdmitting to straw purchases. Wonder why they got shut down? Ha ha

phantomson9
08-27-2010, 10:20 AM
^^^ wow my iPhone really likes to correct my spelling even if it's not correct !!

Kestryll
08-27-2010, 10:42 AM

A long time.

I worked for Gun World back in the early 90's at their Discount Outlet on Parthenia in Northridge. This was back when they had the Main Store on Cohasset in Van Nuys, The Brass Rail in Hollywood, the Burbank store and the Discount Outlet.

The manager of the Outlet, Roger, was one of the coolest guys I've ever met in a gun shop. Straight forward, honest and no BS. He came off as a bit brusque at first but only because he'd tell you the truth without the candy coating.

The owner of Gun World itself, Paul Cole, was a crook.
I remember working at the main store one Saturday because they expected to be busy. There was a big to-do across the street at the Target Range sponsored by Gun World, Turners and other West Valley gun stores including a raffle for a handgun. As I recall all the participating gun stores shared the cost of the prize handgun.

The drawing was held and the winner was not there so they said they would contact him and arrange for him to DROS it at Gun World Van Nuys.

About 5 minutes before closing Paul Cole came out of his office in the back with a handgun of the exact same make, model, finish and caliber as the prize gun, put a price tag on it and slipped it in to the display case.
Never said a word to anyone.

Now I can't swear that it was the gun from the raffle since I did not compare serial numbers but I do know there was never a shipment on Saturdays so that handgun that was IDENTICAL to the one that had been on display earlier as a raffle prize did not get delivered or added to inventory that day.

dadoody
08-27-2010, 1:23 PM
Welp. I'm glad I'm surrounded by friendly and accommodating gun shops. (Ammo Bros, OC Shooting Range, Turners in Orange)

meangreen46
08-28-2010, 4:51 PM
http://www.burbankleader.com/news/tn-blr-gun-20100828,0,2984533.story

I think the state's laws have made it impossible for them to do their "style" of business. The story changes weekly.

serpentsanddaggers
09-01-2010, 10:50 PM
The deal with gunworld is that they are closing because 1) the owner is retiring 2) he was tired of the continual law changes ( i.e the no ammo within reach of a customer and the no internet sales on ammo that isn't supposed to go into effect UNTIL Feb. 2011? Well the LE Dept. are citing and levying fines, even though the law is not yet in effect... hows that for BS?) and 3) one AR buyer changed his lower to one with out the bullet button and got arrested. He told the LE that he bought the gun at Gun World. Even though he signed a statement ( like I did on a colt LEO6940 I bought there) that you would not modify the gun, or use a 20/30 round mag and they have it file, the LAPD is accusing them of selling it to him. So lets all hear it for the LAPD and the idiot that modified his rifle.

GuerrillaByNight
09-01-2010, 11:01 PM
GUN WORLD's layout reminded me of an overstuffed closet. Service was nowhere to be found.

Good riddance GUN WORLD, probably would have stayed in business if you tool a little bit more time to focus on your customers.

serpentsanddaggers
09-01-2010, 11:01 PM
You are one sad and like your photo a twisted individual. Why would you applaude a gun store closing? Ok you didn't like them, so don't shop and leave it be. Bad mouththem for not doing your PPT or whatever, but you cheering any gun shop closing puts you right up with the Brady Coalition and the Anti Gun groups. YOU DONT GET IT! Any gun shop that closes means that they win. So keep on cheering and turn in your NRA card.

Kestryll
09-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I never like seeing a gun shop close but if Paul Cole is still the owner I'm happy to see him getting out of the business.

As posted above, based on what I saw while working for him he's a crook.

serpentsanddaggers
09-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah I remember those prices, but that was during the Obama craze, hell there was a bidding war for guns everywhere! Anyone remember the ammo shortage? Anyone recall that Turners had NO guns in their shops because of the THIRD bankruptcy they had to file and no manufacturer would give them credit to get guns? I do, but as far as the pricing, I asked if they could do better on some things and they would drop 50 or 60 bucks... maybe it was because I was a serious buyer and went there when I was ready to buy not just flip flopping. But they always asked if they could help me even 2 or 3 times by different guys. So everybody had different experience.

GuerrillaByNight
09-01-2010, 11:15 PM
You are one sad and like your photo a twisted individual. Why would you applaude a gun store closing? Ok you didn't like them, so don't shop and leave it be. Bad mouththem for not doing your PPT or whatever, but you cheering any gun shop closing puts you right up with the Brady Coalition and the Anti Gun groups. YOU DONT GET IT! Ant gun shop that closes means that they win. So keep on cheering and turn in your NRA card.

I think in the case of GUN WORLD it is the better of two evils.

A gun shop closing is never a good thing.... however a business that is sub standard, and of questionable morality closing is not something I will lose sleep over.

As for you lumping me in with anti's.... well that is a pretty bold statement to just sling around there guy.

For you to unreasonably assume I am badmouthing them for something as trivial as refusing a PPT is just plain ignorant.

You obviously feel passionate about 2A isssues, and that is GREAT, but point your misinformed assumptions in a different direction.... it is unwarranted, and not appreciated.

serpentsanddaggers
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
You are calling somebody a crook yet YOU worked for him, and you witnessed this crime and said nothing to no one about it. Didn't report it to the police, the other parties involved no I would say not since you left part of it out. Im sure that you resigned that same day over this criminal, unethical and deceitful behavior being the upstanding, morally and ethically prudent citizen right? Oh wait no you didn't, you kept working there didn't you? Gee what does that say about you?

Kestryll
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
You might want to reread this post, I wasn't referring to prices, I was referring to a bogus raffle for a gun other gun shops in the Valley helped to pay for.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4852803&postcount=135

Kestryll
09-01-2010, 11:20 PM
You are calling somebody a crook yet YOU worked for him, and you witnessed this crime and said nothing to no one about it. Didn't report it to the police, the other parties involved no I would say not since you left part of it out. Im sure that you resigned that same day over this criminal, unethical and deceitful behavior being the upstanding, morally and ethically prudent citizen right? Oh wait no you didn't, you kept working there didn't you? Gee what does that say about you?

It says I was low man on the totem pole and needed a job to pay the rent and keep my Wife and myself off the streets.

However I will commend you on a classic maneuver in trying to refocus the discussion on to me and ignoring the original topic and the actions of Mr. Cole.
Unfortunately one of the problems with a classic derailment strategy is they are also patently transparent.

GuerrillaByNight
09-01-2010, 11:21 PM
However I will commend you on a classic maneuver in trying to refocus the discussion on to me and ignoring the original topic and the actions of Mr. Cole.
Unfortunately one of the problems with a classic derailment strategy is they are also patently transparent.

:yes:

serpentsanddaggers
09-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Read what I said, or refusing to do your PPT or whatever. Yet I am grateful to see that you at least realize that any gun shop closing is bad. Like I said you don't have to patronize them if you don't like them, warn your friends not to shop there if they deserve it, but seeing a gun shop close is a death knell for all of us. Maybe my comments where harsh... true I do not know you. And I realize that well enough to apologize if I was out of line. But if you read these comments most start off with " I went there to do a PPT...blah blah and it took them 20 min. so they s*ck." They just don't get.

meangreen46
09-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I never like seeing a gun shop close but if Paul Cole is still the owner I'm happy to see him getting out of the business.

As posted above, based on what I saw while working for him he's a crook.

Paul will still be filtering money through the new "owners". Heres a hint for starters...... Damien is related to Paul. I won't say how I know or to what extent they are related....but it's the same old BS that going to go on. These guys are lifelong bad business idiots. Bankruptcies, suicides, changing of FFLs, "retiring" (thats the best one), the list goes on.

serpentsanddaggers
09-01-2010, 11:32 PM
You make accusations, and yet in the same breath say that you can't be sure it was the same gun. But he's a crook anyway... and talk about misdirection. You kept working for a crook because you needed the job, obviously it didn't bother enough back then to keep taking a paycheck... lets just say that both his and your ethical and moral standards were lacking back then. That's transparent enough right.

meangreen46
09-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Read what I said, or refusing to do your PPT or whatever. Yet I am grateful to see that you at least realize that any gun shop closing is bad. Like I said you don't have to patronize them if you don't like them, warn your friends not to shop there if they deserve it, but seeing a gun shop close is a death knell for all of us. Maybe my comments where harsh... true I do not know you. And I realize that well enough to apologize if I was out of line. But if you read these comments most start off with " I went there to do a PPT...blah blah and it took them 20 min. so they s*ck." They just don't get.

People are just sharing their horror stories of how terrible the customer sevice was at Gun World. Whether it be a PPT, purchase, out of state, or just getting info.....you're place got an F. Don't think for one second people are feeling bad for your store closing. They feel bad for gun stores closing in general. Your store....not so much. I think at this point, people would rather go to San Diego than have to deal with your unethical crap. If a few people posted negative comments, maybe you might have a point. Look back and tell me how many are negative? 99% Even funnier, go look Gun World up on yellow pages or some other 411 website. SAME THING. lol.

eijjie33
09-02-2010, 12:05 AM
++1People are just sharing their horror stories of how terrible the customer sevice was at Gun World. Whether it be a PPT, purchase, out of state, or just getting info.....you're place got an F. Don't think for one second people are feeling bad for your store closing. They feel bad for gun stores closing in general. Your store....not so much. I think at this point, people would rather go to San Diego than have to deal with your unethical crap. If a few people posted negative comments, maybe you might have a point. Look back and tell me how many are negative? 99% Even funnier, go look Gun World up on yellow pages or some other 411 website. SAME THING. lol.

eijjie33
09-02-2010, 12:09 AM
this is a public forum if i'm not mistaken,we are free to state or say about the topic of the matter in this case the closing /change of management of GW,may they be positive or negative.

Roccobro
09-02-2010, 10:16 AM
I smell a shill account.

OH! BTW, welcome Serpentsanddaggers to Cal Guns.

Justin

Roccobro
09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
The deal with gunworld is that they are closing because 1) the owner is retiring 2) he was tired of the continual law changes ( i.e the no ammo within reach of a customer and the no internet sales on ammo that isn't supposed to go into effect UNTIL Feb. 2011? Well the LE Dept. are citing and levying fines, even though the law is not yet in effect... hows that for BS?) and 3) one AR buyer changed his lower to one with out the bullet button and got arrested. He told the LE that he bought the gun at Gun World. Even though he signed a statement ( like I did on a colt LEO6940 I bought there) that you would not modify the gun, or use a 20/30 round mag and they have it file, the LAPD is accusing them of selling it to him. So lets all hear it for the LAPD and the idiot that modified his rifle.

Hmm...

Bright Spot Pawn was raided and they didn't "retire". Why would pro 2A people back a coward (who is quitting) if 2A is our primary goal? I think I'll be hanging onto my NRA card, patronizing DECENT gun stores AND continue to not care about GW closing.

The best part of SandD's posts is questioning the morality of a part time employee of any company save a law enfocement gig. LMAO! Miss direction indeed....

Justin

Kestryll
09-02-2010, 10:31 AM
You make accusations, and yet in the same breath say that you can't be sure it was the same gun.
Again, try rereading the post.
It was the same make, model, caliber, barrel length and finish as the 'prize gun' he took back to his office earlier.
I said I can't be sure because I did not do a serial number match.
You obviously also missed that there was NO shipment in that day and no reason for him to have a handgun from stock in his office.
Let's not even get in to the fact that it was a model we didn't normally carry at the time.

But he's a crook anyway... and talk about misdirection. You kept working for a crook because you needed the job, obviously it didn't bother enough back then to keep taking a paycheck... lets just say that both his and your ethical and moral standards were lacking back then. That's transparent enough right.

What's transparent is your obvious and frankly weak attempt to distract from the truth by attacking me.

Please, continue with this stratagem, your posts only serve to show your purpose in this thread all too clearly.

Roccobro
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
And the fact he's only posting in the OTHER gun world thread defending them tooth and nail.

Personal attacsk on THE Kestryll is icing on the cake. :)

Justin

ArkinDomino
09-02-2010, 4:29 PM
This thread gained some much awesome that its pretty much AWESOME. With threads about digging up bodies, defending/defaming gun stores and passing personal experiences for in depth reviews of the ACR, calguns is so full of WIN, its outta control.

Cokebottle
09-02-2010, 6:15 PM
i.e the no ammo within reach of a customer and the no internet sales on ammo that isn't supposed to go into effect UNTIL Feb. 2011? Well the LE Dept. are citing and levying fines, even though the law is not yet in effect... hows that for BS?)
Wrong.
"Out of reach" went into effect Feb 2010.
Feb 2011 is the 2nd stage which prohibits mail-order purchases and requires fingerprinting and record keeping (as well as microstamping which won't happen).

Cokebottle
09-02-2010, 6:19 PM
Anyone recall that Turners had NO guns in their shops because of the THIRD bankruptcy they had to file and no manufacturer would give them credit to get guns?
Actually no.... I've been shopping at Turner's Chino (the old outlet on Walnut) and Chino Hills for well over 10 years buying fishing and shooting equipment and have never seen them out of stock on guns.

Cokebottle
09-02-2010, 6:21 PM
You make accusations, and yet in the same breath say that you can't be sure it was the same gun.
Oh give us a break.

You know damned well what happened.

Are you Paul or Damien?

rimfire78
09-02-2010, 10:35 PM
You are one sad and like your photo a twisted individual. Why would you applaude a gun store closing? Ok you didn't like them, so don't shop and leave it be. Bad mouththem for not doing your PPT or whatever, but you cheering any gun shop closing puts you right up with the Brady Coalition and the Anti Gun groups. YOU DONT GET IT! Any gun shop that closes means that they win. So keep on cheering and turn in your NRA card.

Wait,.............did you say Gun World was closing?
......Um

:party:

brassburnz
09-03-2010, 12:27 AM
The Discount Outlet. Brings back memories. I used to work part time at Shooter's Clinic which was across the street on Parthenia. We made the reloads for the Target Range and a couple of other places.

I've actually purchased quite a few guns from Gun World in Van Nuys but I never paid full retail. Always asked to work out a deal. Then again I was in there so often I could tell if a gun had been sitting a while.

Once upon a time the Valley was full of gun stores. Those were the good ol' days when I could actually handle the guns and pick one from the bunch. I remember doing this at National Gun Sales and Sherwood International, also on Parthenia as well as Turner's in Reseda.

A long time.

I worked for Gun World back in the early 90's at their Discount Outlet on Parthenia in Northridge. This was back when they had the Main Store on Cohasset in Van Nuys, The Brass Rail in Hollywood, the Burbank store and the Discount Outlet.

The manager of the Outlet, Roger, was one of the coolest guys I've ever met in a gun shop. Straight forward, honest and no BS. He came off as a bit brusque at first but only because he'd tell you the truth without the candy coating.

I remember working at the main store one Saturday because they expected to be busy. There was a big to-do across the street at the Target Range sponsored by Gun World, Turners and other West Valley gun stores including a raffle for a handgun. As I recall all the participating gun stores shared the cost of the prize handgun.

The drawing was held and the winner was not there so they said they would contact him and arrange for him to DROS it at Gun World Van Nuys.

About 5 minutes before closing Paul Cole came out of his office in the back with a handgun of the exact same make, model, finish and caliber as the prize gun, put a price tag on it and slipped it in to the display case.

Now I can't swear that it was the gun from the raffle since I did not compare serial numbers but I do know there was never a shipment on Saturdays so that handgun that was IDENTICAL to the one that had been on display earlier as a raffle prize did not get delivered or added to inventory that day.

rimfire78
09-06-2010, 5:00 PM
Has anyone been in to see if their accessories are reasonably priced? I'm guessing they're not.

beemaze
09-12-2010, 5:01 PM
The Gun World website says they have a change in ownership effective in November, so no new sales until then. Hopefully a change for the better!

http://www.gunworldburbank.com/

slowxturtle
09-16-2010, 12:54 PM
I just visited Gun World yesterday. They are having a 33% clearance sale on all remaining inventory, ammo included. Since there prices are pretty high to begin with, 33% off makes the prices more comparable to online prices. You can find a decent deal on some supplies and accessories. Most of the popular cheaper target ammo is gone.

I am sad to see them close, even though their prices are higher then most, that was the only issue. They were never rude to me. People here talk about the back room where they store the guns like it's some special place that you can only gain access to with a formal invitation. It's just another area of their shop. You can walk in and out as you please.

beemaze
09-17-2010, 2:10 PM
I've actually bought guns from Gun World when they were in Van Nuys back in the day and have done a PPT or two at their Burbank location. I've never had an ounce of attitude from the staff or owner (Paul Cole) when doing business. Yes, their prices became outlandish and noncompetitive over the years, perhaps to the point of becoming unprofitable and thereby forcing a sale and change of ownership. Like I mentioned above, new ownership will take over, and hopefully offer the community the same selection (they always had a ton of guns) at more competitive prices.

paintballdad
09-26-2010, 8:55 PM
A long time.

The Discount Outlet. Brings back memories. I used to work part time at Shooter's Clinic which was across the street on Parthenia. We made the reloads for the Target Range and a couple of other places.

I've actually purchased quite a few guns from Gun World in Van Nuys but I never paid full retail. Always asked to work out a deal. Then again I was in there so often I could tell if a gun had been sitting a while.

Once upon a time the Valley was full of gun stores. Those were the good ol' days when I could actually handle the guns and pick one from the bunch. I remember doing this at National Gun Sales and Sherwood International, also on Parthenia as well as Turner's in Reseda.

I used to work part time for Gun World Pasadena in the early nineties. I was a customer first before becoming an employee. Unlike a lot of post here, my experiences as a customer were pleasant. Roger was the manager there when they opened the store and agree with Kestryll that he is one of the coolest and nicest person i've ever met once you really got to know him. Learned a lot from that man and when i needed a part time stint to supplement my family's income he offered me a job.

I knew their prices were on the high side but they were always wiling to cut me a deal. I'm not sure about their prices being outrageously higher than most gun shops during that period since we had numerous repeat customers and do not recall treating anyone in a rude manner. The guys i worked with (Jim, Oliver, Mike) were mostly proffesional and pleasant when dealing with customers, maybe due to Roger's direction. I really never dealt with Paul so i cannot comment on his dealings. But i can tell you that the Pasadena location had it's share of potential straw sales and the slight possibilty of one was always nipped in the bud. I can state without a doubt that the guys i worked with were straight up standup guys.

While some of you have a legitimate reason to jump for joy for Gun World's closing, i am always saddened by another California business closing it's doors, specially a firearm related business.

Kestryll & brassburnz, maybe we crossed paths during our time at Gun World. Might be cool to touch bases if you guys are interested.

beemaze
09-27-2010, 8:05 AM
Gun World's NOT closing. New ownership as per their website...

Danielp59
09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Im glad they're going to be under new ownership. That place sucked. The people are so rude there.

phantomson9
09-29-2010, 8:45 PM
I'm glad they are under new ownership too i just hope that means their prices will be better as well as their customer service.

Smile
09-30-2010, 1:48 PM
Under new ownership means I might actually go back there. Worst customer service ive ever dealt with.

I hope we get a new better gunstore out of this change.

Citizen Snips
10-01-2010, 3:19 AM
I know who he was. What a horrible thing to hear about! :(
I remember when the articles didn't say who it was but when asked where Marty was after reopening, George said he went on to bigger and better things. Marty had a great air about him, he rode a Harley and was polite and helpful as could be. I shook his hand about a month before. He's likely got a shop of his own in the great beyond.

Logan has the best surname ever. I for one am glad they won't be closing.

glbtrottr
10-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I love rooting for the underdog.

In this case, Gunworld sucks. We prefer to spend our money on the ethical stores :) Thank you Kes for sharing your personal experience...

monkeshine
10-11-2010, 1:14 PM

Sorry but there is not necessarily a crime there.

I am not a defender of the place, never been there. But here is how I see it. I put a gun up for raffle. I take it out of the case and across the street and show it to everyone involved in the event.

After the raffle, the winner isn't there to collect the prize. I put it back in the case for sale. That is not necessarily criminal.

The raffle probably was for a Make/Model of gun, not THAT SPECIFIC gun. Maybe there are 2 more just like it in inventory still in the box. Why take another one out of the box when that one was already out and ready to display? Or, maybe as the owner he knows he can get another one for the raffle winner in a day. It was just advertised at the event to how many 100's of people? Maybe one of them would come in and want to buy one?

If it were my shop, I would keep that weapon for sale in case someone wanted to buy one just like it. That wouldn't stop the raffle winner from claiming it, or one like it, at another time. It would take a few days to contact the winner and arrange for him to come in etc there would be ample opportunity to get the winner his prize. As a store owner I wouldn't want to take it out of available inventory for the number of days or weeks it might take for the raffle winner to show up. Would you?

I just don't think that scenario you described is necessarily criminal. If nobody contacted the winner, then yes. But just putting it in the case for sale, not at all.

Roccobro
10-11-2010, 1:58 PM
Sorry but there is not necessarily a crime there.
I just don't think that scenario you described is necessarily criminal. If nobody contacted the winner, then yes. But just putting it in the case for sale, not at all.

Welcome to CG Monkeshine. Nobody said it was a crime, just reeeealy shady.

This story is coming from the Head Janitor's past personal experience, and your speculation could be 100% correct. A gun can be put up for sale when it is still considered a (community owned) prize for a raffle. Not necessarily criminal, but definitely morally and ethically wrong.

Justin

BLACK LION
10-25-2010, 3:54 PM
Wait,.............did you say Gun World was closing?
......Um

:party:

LMFAO....

BiggSean
12-19-2010, 8:04 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, and I sincerely hope that the current owners of Gun World have completely changed the way that the former business operated, but I didn't see this article mentioned in this thread:

http://articles.burbankleader.com/2010-08-28/news/tn-blr-gun-20100828_1_gun-laws-gun-sale-new-owners

Per this article "The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives found that on 3,000 occasions the store recorded incomplete information on firearm acquisitions. It also allegedly failed to list weapons in its acquisition-disposition books 47 times, according to the agency."

In the few times that I tried to patronize Gun World, I received absolutely horrendous customer service.

I once attempted to purchase an XD45, and was told that they were only helping customers that intended to make quick purchases, and that I should come back another day. I promptly left and purchased an XD45 at Oak Tree Gun Club instead.

On an another occasion, I called to see if they could do a PPT, and was rudely told that I could come in, but that I would have to wait several hours until they had finished helping their "paying customers", and that if someone else came in AFTER I had gotten there, that those "paying customers" would take priority over me. That was the last straw for me, and I never set foot in this establishment again.

Cokebottle
12-19-2010, 10:15 AM
http://articles.burbankleader.com/2010-08-28/news/tn-blr-gun-20100828_1_gun-laws-gun-sale-new-owners

Per this article "The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives found that on 3,000 occasions the store recorded incomplete information on firearm acquisitions. It also allegedly failed to list weapons in its acquisition-disposition books 47 times, according to the agency."
Yet when they first notified people of their closing, they said "Blame LAPD" and "California makes it too hard to do business"

bruceflinch
12-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Hmm, BooShanky is still around?

Jake71
12-19-2010, 2:59 PM
Wow.. I remember Gun World.

I never really bought anything from any gun store except for ammo.

I always liked B&B, Pony Express and one other store (can't remember) but never bought anything from Gun World.

If I walk in the door and i'm the only one there and noone says hello or I get that "we dont want to be bothered" feeling, I look and leave.

I like the new breed of gunstores that are popping/popped up... Ammo Bros, Riflegear...etc.. NEW generation of human beings NEW way of looking at things.

brionic
12-20-2010, 6:12 PM
I am late to this thread, but will add this:

Interesting bit about "Blame the LAPD" since his shop was in Burbank, not L.A. Hmmm.
Our family friend has a longtime store in Culver City and has NEVER expressed any type of "Blame the LAPD" nonsense. Then again, he doesn't double deal or "forget" to complete transaction records.

I was a paying customer of Paul Cole's. I was a member at the Target Range. I also purchased three full priced firearms from him at his Cohasset St shop, an SP101, a Beretta 21A, and a Colt Sporter. Then, when they were the rage, I put a $150 deposit on a Seecamp. Paid by check. Waited. Seecamp was slow to deliver in those days, when they had a waiting list. While I was waiting, Paul filed bankruptcy and closed his shop. What about my deposit? "Sorry kid." was his crass reply. "Tough break about paying by check. If you had used a card, you could have contested the charge."

When I discovered he had reopened in Burbank, I went in, waited politely, and presented my receipt for the deposit, and asked him to honor it toward purchase of another weapon. Instead of engaging me in a business-like manner, or even negotiating, or just explaining his position, he asked me to leave in "expressive" terms.

"Sorry Kid" is what I have to say about his closing. He can kiss my @$$.

beemaze
12-21-2010, 4:20 PM
I am late to this thread, but will add this:

Interesting bit about "Blame the LAPD" since his shop was in Burbank, not L.A. Hmmm.
Our family friend has a longtime store in Culver City and has NEVER expressed any type of "Blame the LAPD" nonsense. Then again, he doesn't double deal or "forget" to complete transaction records.

I was a paying customer of Paul Cole's. I was a member at the Target Range. I also purchased three full priced firearms from him at his Cohasset St shop, an SP101, a Beretta 21A, and a Colt Sporter. Then, when they were the rage, I put a $150 deposit on a Seecamp. Paid by check. Waited. Seecamp was slow to deliver in those days, when they had a waiting list. While I was waiting, Paul filed bankruptcy and closed his shop. What about my deposit? "Sorry kid." was his crass reply. "Tough break about paying by check. If you had used a card, you could have contested the charge."

When I discovered he had reopened in Burbank, I went in, waited politely, and presented my receipt for the deposit, and asked him to honor it toward purchase of another weapon. Instead of engaging me in a business-like manner, or even negotiating, or just explaining his position, he asked me to leave in "expressive" terms.

"Sorry Kid" is what I have to say about his closing. He can kiss my @$$.

I did business with Gun World when they were in Van Nuys. Probably spent over $3k back in the early 90's. Never got ripped off per se, but their pricing as of late was not at all competitive. Even did some PPT's this past year at their Burbank location. No problems whatsoever. But yea, Paul Cole was shady.

One thing for sure though, LAPD's Gun Unit can go anywhere they want to investigate alleged criminal activity. And yes, the LAPD Gun Unit has been alleged to be abusive of their powers not just at places like Gun World. There are a few threads here on CG relating to that.

Anyways, hopefully the new ownership or whatever can get their act together. At least there are now two other good gun stores in Burbank one can shop at: Aegis and Guns Direct!!

MikeinnLA
12-21-2010, 5:01 PM
I was taking my kid to Burbank airport the other day so I stopped in. They're open for accessory sales, but are waiting for the ownership transfers for all their guns to the new owner to be completed. I bought a few guns from them back when Turners had no guns to sell. I didn't mind paying the $ 50-100 "premium" because they had what I wanted. When you consider all the ammo you run through a gun, 50 bucks is nothing really if you can get what you want, IMO. I always got good service and will go back, I like their selection.

Mike

meangreen46
12-22-2010, 10:29 PM
I was taking my kid to Burbank airport the other day so I stopped in. They're open for accessory sales, but are waiting for the ownership transfers for all their guns to the new owner to be completed. I bought a few guns from them back when Turners had no guns to sell. I didn't mind paying the $ 50-100 "premium" because they had what I wanted. When you consider all the ammo you run through a gun, 50 bucks is nothing really if you can get what you want, IMO. I always got good service and will go back, I like their selection.

Mike

I've been going there since the Van Nuys days and I have never seen a gun only priced $50 over MSRP. If that were the case, yes....it would be worth it. However, the lowest price difference I have ever seen there was $200. If you can go down the street (a few blocks now) and get the same gun for that much less, why not? That's $200 to go towards ammo or accesories.

I don't care who the new owners are. The only way I'm stepping foot back in there is if they tear down the awning, rename the place and prove they are in no way related to Paul or Joe. Either way, the money is still being filtered back to them somehow. All this BS about retiring.....yeah right. Money is Money to them. They don't care how they get it.....as proven by their recent run-ins with the law.

ChrisToad
02-07-2011, 1:35 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread.

I got a post-card in the mail Saturday from Gun World saying they were back in action. Anyone know the details?

beemaze
02-07-2011, 1:58 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread.

I got a post-card in the mail Saturday from Gun World saying they were back in action. Anyone know the details?

I was going to stop by last week to see what's up as well check out the new gun store in town, Guns Direct. Hopefully Gun World's under new ownership & not the same old deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they just had to make up for some compliance issues in order to be re-licensed. At least now there are 3 gun stores in town, 2 of which have had reputations for competitive pricing during Gun World's hiatus.

glbtrottr
02-07-2011, 8:05 PM
I kick myself for walking into Gun World again.

I did a PPT recently there out of geographic convenience and familiaty with both parties, seller and buyer.

Shelves are slowly restocking. The attitude and talent working there hasn't changed. One behind the counter tried to be polite - but it didn't make up for the remaining staff behind the counter. Longest PPT I have ever done. Prices uncompetitive.

meangreen46
02-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Hopefully Gun World's under new ownership & not the same old deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they just had to make up for some compliance issues in order to be re-licensed.

The company is owned by "DG JF Enterprises" Translation: Damien (ex-worker of Gun World) and Joe (one of the old owners) . FFL is in Damien's name while Joe is still watching over the shop. Damien has known Paul for years. So, the short answer is "Yes....same people." Long answer is probably a little more complicated, but the same outcome.

Blitzburgh
02-08-2011, 5:36 AM
Good riddance.

Just last week I went into Guns Direct in Burbank. New guys, small shop, but I always try to help the newbie out. Great guys - super nice, got a great deal on a Smith 22A.

I'll be back there. I spend way to much, and work way to hard for it to be treated like dirt in Gun World - no matter what the background story is.

BiggSean
02-08-2011, 6:10 AM
The company is owned by "DG JF Enterprises" Translation: Damien (ex-worker off Gun World) and Joe (one of the old owners) . FFL is in Damien's name while Joe is still watching over the shop. Damien has known Paul for years. So, the short answer is "Yes....same people." Long answer is probably a little more complicated, but the same outcome.

Thanks for the clarification.

Based on my previous experiences with this store, and the fact that it is still being managed by the same individuals, it is safe to say that I will continue to spend my hard earned money elsewhere.

Malmon
02-12-2011, 7:00 PM
Wish I have seen this thread before. Gun World is the worst FFL to go to for PPT. Went there to do a PPT since seller lives close to Burbank, it is the worst firearm-related transaction I ever had. They are rude, condescending and claims to know the law, yet are not willing to comply. Stay away from this place. I am planning to contact the DOJ and the ATF on monday to file a complaint against them.

Malmon
02-12-2011, 9:30 PM
I am not filing a complaint against them because they are rude, its because they refuse to give me a copy of the DROS. These people at Gun World are liars, they told me that it is against the law to furnish a copy of the DROS because it contains private information. I countered that I have bought and sell many used firearms before and I know that they can block out the other party's info if that is a concern. Still they refused.

CA PC 12076(c)(5):

(5) If the transaction is a private party transfer conducted
pursuant to Section 12082, a copy shall be provided to the seller or
purchaser by the dealer, upon request. The dealer shall redact all of
the purchaser's personal information, as required pursuant to
paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) and paragraph (1) of subdivision (c)
of Section 12077, from the seller's copy, and the seller's personal
information from the purchaser's copy.

They also lied about gunlocks, telling me that the law states that I need to present a store receipt that has the word "lock" and it cannot be a handwritten receipt. So I bought the gunlock from them. When I ask for their receipt, guess what, they gave me a handwritten receipt.

Cokebottle
02-12-2011, 9:49 PM
I am not filing a complaint against them because they are rude, its because they refuse to give me a copy of the DROS. These people at Gun World are liars, they told me that it is against the law to furnish a copy of the DROS because it contains private information. I countered that I have bought and sell many used firearms before and I know that they can block out the other party's info if that is a concern. Still they refused.
Interesting.

Makes one wonder if they are processing the DROS on PPTs at all, or just pocketing the $35 and allowing the buyer to walk out with a gun registered to someone else.

DOJ/BATFE would never know unless they pull an audit while the guns are still in their safe... and who's to say that they wouldn't have a second safe hidden for storage of these guns.

Malmon
02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Interesting.

Makes one wonder if they are processing the DROS on PPTs at all, or just pocketing the $35 and allowing the buyer to walk out with a gun registered to someone else.

DOJ/BATFE would never know unless they pull an audit while the guns are still in their safe... and who's to say that they wouldn't have a second safe hidden for storage of these guns.

That's right, what proof do I have that they indeed run the DROS.

After complaining to the CAdoj this morning, I received a call from them and they offered to mail me a copy of the DROS and will allegedly reeducate their staff.

Needless to say, I will never ever go back to this store even if they are giving away free guns. Rude and ignorant people should not be involved in customer service.

glbtrottr
02-14-2011, 1:50 PM
Never, ever, ever ever ever again. Just picked up a pistol there today. Same or worse crappy unhelpful attitudes. Money goes into the same pockets.

Friends don't let friends shop at Gunworld. Guns Direct is right down the street.

viet4lifeOC
02-14-2011, 2:27 PM
Poor customer service, higher prices, and a shady owner... AND some are saddened that a gunstore is closing in LA?

Shops like these SHOULD close and I wouldn't care if it was the last one.