PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone thought of putting a GPS tracker in your gun safe?

Mendo223
08-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Im looking online at brickhousesecurity and they have a bunch of small GPS trackers that are meant for putting on cars, etc.

they even claim they could be found under neath parking garages...some have very long battery lives too.

doesnt this seem like a pretty easy and logical way to protect your assets. even if they manage to yank the gunsafe out of the wall....i would just flip on the GPS tracker and be able to find them very quickly. i could send the po-po's to the address and get all my guns back.

has anyone done this? what GPS trackers do you recomend? i dont wanna spend more than 200....it seems the cheapest are called "loggers" which arent real time tracking they just send out a signal once and a while...but if they are cracking your gun safe it would be in a stationary position.

what do you guys think?

daveinwoodland
08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Not a bad idea for everything, car, motorcycle, safe etc.

Mendo223
08-18-2010, 1:13 PM
^yeah i could care less about the cars because they are on insurance for anti theft...but i dont exactly have anti theft insurance for my guns lol. i guess they have renters insurance but i dont rent, does that matter?

i want to get 2 or 3....one for each of my safes. i have a gun safe and a personal safe with important documents..both are bolted down but only to the wall and im sure thieves could just yank it out of the wall...

i figure if i have a nice little "protected by Broadview GPS security" they might think twice about trying to take it with them...

PsychGuy274
08-18-2010, 1:15 PM
I've never thought about that, but it seems like a very good idea.

I hate CalGuns.net by the way. Everytime I come here I find some new thing I want to buy :p

Falstaff
08-18-2010, 1:44 PM
Don't the GPS trackers require a SIM card for an active cell phone connection? You'll have to pay a monthly fee ($30+) for cell service...DeWalt tools sells a LoJack type device for tools that might be an option too.

Ballistic043
08-18-2010, 1:48 PM
great idea. i might look into this. but playing devils advocate here, but why not go with a constant signal GPS?

think like a criminal here: safes are useless once they get broken into right? whats the point of keeping the safe around once you get the goods? some people know what they are doing, have all the tools to crack or break a safe in hours. then your GPS is pointless because it went off after the safe was ditched in a dump somewhere

Mendo223
08-18-2010, 2:09 PM
exactly how secure are safes anyways? i have a sentry 10 gun safe with electronic keypaid...i looked on google to see if there are ways to crack it but found none...theonly way is to call sentry and verify with the seriel number, etc.

the GPS tracking would be more for amatuers probably. im gambling on the burglars not being able to pry open or crack the safe inside my house. im assuming they would just load up the safe and drive off with it like they do on "It takes a thief" i heard them say they have to saw through it...

if GPS isnt sure proof...should i just get insurance? im always paranoid to think i will come home and find my safe, with about 5-6k in guns, gone. with the GPS tracker i could try to get it back..with insurance at least i can be financially compensated...it seriously bugs me everytime i leave my house for extended periods of time...i wanna get something done about this...tempted to get gates installed on my windows...i dont live in the best neighborhood

iareConfusE
08-18-2010, 2:14 PM
Lo-Jack for your gun safes :D

Sounds like a great idea actually.

gunn
08-18-2010, 3:27 PM
1) GPS also requires a line of sight to the stars for location acquisition. Being inside the safe would prevent it from being able to see where it was located.
Furthermore, it doesn't matter if the box knows where it is... how will it tell the rest of the world? I seriously doubt most cell phones would be very effective from inside your safe.
2) Now if you mounted the asset tracking system outside the safe, I'm sure that whomever is crafty/determined enough to make off with your safe will notice it and give it a few whacks with his crowbar/whatever. There goes your tracking mechanism.

3) Finally, from what I can tell, the LoJack system uses a tranmission system that "chirps" at a set frequency. The box is always chirping. When you report the theft of a car, for example, your item gets entered into a police database which LoJack (the company) monitors. They in turn realize that theft report X translates to lojack asset tag Y and they then propagate this info to all the systems they give the cops. The cops then use this system to "home in" on the chirps of the Asset Tag Y (apart from the millions of other Lojack tags). From what I can tell a) this system does NOT require the box inside the car to be 'activated' -- they only need to tell the cops which tags to be on the lookout for vs. ignore. Since a transmission system is involved, I bet the boxes designed for cars are NOT embedded in the engine block. They are somewhere near the outside of the car (but not necessarily limited to line-of-sight to the stars like a GPS system). This causes a similar problem to the cell modem problem outlines above.

I'm sure you could adapt a lojack system to a safe but it will require some kind of puncture in the "armor" of the safe so that the transmitter will work.. This in turn would hurt your fire protection.
-g

chiefcrash
08-18-2010, 3:49 PM
exactly how secure are safes anyways? i have a sentry 10 gun safe with electronic keypaid...i looked on google to see if there are ways to crack it but found none...theonly way is to call sentry and verify with the seriel number, etc.

the GPS tracking would be more for amatuers probably. im gambling on the burglars not being able to pry open or crack the safe inside my house. im assuming they would just load up the safe and drive off with it like they do on "It takes a thief" i heard them say they have to saw through it...

if GPS isnt sure proof...should i just get insurance? im always paranoid to think i will come home and find my safe, with about 5-6k in guns, gone. with the GPS tracker i could try to get it back..with insurance at least i can be financially compensated...it seriously bugs me everytime i leave my house for extended periods of time...i wanna get something done about this...tempted to get gates installed on my windows...i dont live in the best neighborhood

nBhOjWHbD6M

Mendo223
08-18-2010, 4:02 PM
1) GPS also requires a line of sight to the stars for location acquisition. Being inside the safe would prevent it from being able to see where it was located.
Furthermore, it doesn't matter if the box knows where it is... how will it tell the rest of the world? I seriously doubt most cell phones would be very effective from inside your safe.
2) Now if you mounted the asset tracking system outside the safe, I'm sure that whomever is crafty/determined enough to make off with your safe will notice it and give it a few whacks with his crowbar/whatever. There goes your tracking mechanism.

-g

are regular gun safes made of that faraday electric blocking material? if so i guess we are screwed.

some of the GPS units advertise they can transmit through cement and even deep in parking garages.

if not....i guess i just invented a million dollar idea...if someone could invent a gunsafe with built in GPS system to prevent gun theft, etc. it would significantly help reducing the number of stolen firearms hitting the streets and would help gun owners not worry too much...not to mention all the burglars that get busted. once they find out about it they will just leave the gunsafes alone if they break in.

MILLION DOLLAR IDEA FOR FREE!! go design that and sell me one for free for the idea haha...

So onto new topic....SHOULD I GET INSURANCE? WHAT KIND OF ANTI THEFT INSURANCE DO YOU GUYS HAVE, HOW MUCH IS IT?

Suhleen
08-18-2010, 4:30 PM
are regular gun safes made of that faraday electric blocking material? if so i guess we are screwed.

some of the GPS units advertise they can transmit through cement and even deep in parking garages.

if not....i guess i just invented a million dollar idea...if someone could invent a gunsafe with built in GPS system to prevent gun theft, etc. it would significantly help reducing the number of stolen firearms hitting the streets and would help gun owners not worry too much...not to mention all the burglars that get busted. once they find out about it they will just leave the gunsafes alone if they break in.

MILLION DOLLAR IDEA FOR FREE!! go design that and sell me one for free for the idea haha...

So onto new topic....SHOULD I GET INSURANCE? WHAT KIND OF ANTI THEFT INSURANCE DO YOU GUYS HAVE, HOW MUCH IS IT?

Assuming your homeowner's policy is with a reputable insurance company, you should have some coverage for firearms built in. It's usually in the $1-5k range depending on the company you're with. Once you start scheduling firearms individually because they exceed what your policy covers, that's when it gets expensive.

Mendo223
08-18-2010, 5:57 PM
yeah i need to find out if my homeowners policy covers firearms..

k1dude
08-18-2010, 8:47 PM
New GPS chips don't need line of sight. Some work indoors. The problem is inside a safe I don't think you'd send a signal because of the thickness of the steel.

You'd also have to subscribe to a service for probably $30 to $60 a month. Unless you have big dollar collectables or a safe full of RAWs and hi-caps, you'd probably be better off and pay less if you increased your insurance rider for guns.

Falstaff
08-18-2010, 9:50 PM
That safe cracking video was scary.

shortround1
08-18-2010, 10:33 PM
That safe cracking video was scary.

Notice he didn't show the 2 guys trying that on his own safes?

Code7inOaktown
08-18-2010, 10:37 PM
What do you think of that safe? It's in my price range and I like the idea of the electronic pad?

I know it's not exactly high-end, but if bolted to the floor and wall and with our house alarm, I don't think anybody would really have the time to crack it easily.

Bill Carson
08-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Wait until the FEDS require GPS trackers IN your guns.

k1dude
08-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Wait until the FEDS require GPS trackers IN your guns.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CP562
08-19-2010, 2:29 AM
Funny that this thread is here today, for I just had this exact same thought last night...same reasoning and all. Going to do some research, maybe call the manufacturer of one of those products Thursday and find out if they're interested in demo'ing it for us with this purpose in mind.

Colt-45
08-19-2010, 8:30 PM
I've never thought about that, but it seems like a very good idea.

I hate CalGuns.net by the way. Everytime I come here I find some new thing I want to buy :p

+10 :D

GPS i na gun safe is a great idea.:43:

I wonder how expensive it is?

RobG
08-19-2010, 8:51 PM
Even if it did work, I wonder if the PD would be willing to even investigate/find your safe if you had it GPS located.:shrug: