View Full Version : Looking for good CA-legal magazines for an M1 carbine

Chris J
08-18-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm getting an M1 carbine from CMP, and from what I read there seems to be some problems with most of the 10 round aftermarket magazines available for sale. I'm sure this is an issue Calgunners have dealt with before but I can't find anything on the forums.

If someone has already asked this and had it answered, sorry, but any suggestions or opinions are appreciated. If you can recommend a brand and source that would be great.

Come next summer I may visit a 15-round-friendly state, and will get a couple of USGI 15s and modify them for 10 before I bring them home, but in the meantime I need something to shoot with.

08-18-2010, 12:14 PM
I have several ProMags and have had no problems with them.

scout II
08-18-2010, 12:39 PM
I agree,the ProMags work great in all of my carbines.Everybody carries them,so it should be no problem ordering some up.

08-18-2010, 12:44 PM
got a promag, and other than the fact that it only holds 10 rds it works great

08-18-2010, 6:28 PM
Yes, go with pro mags in 10 rnd for CA. I had the cheepo ones and they did not work at all in my carbine. The Pro Mags work great, no more feeding or stove piping with them at all. Regards

Chris J
08-18-2010, 7:47 PM
OK, I'll order a couple from Midway tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendations.

Sure wish there was a legal path to a real GI 15 rounder though. Maybe someday gun laws will make sense... I should live that long.

08-18-2010, 8:27 PM
I got one from Sportsman Guide and I havn't had any problems with it.

08-18-2010, 9:40 PM
I've collected carbines for the past 30 years, and put acquired a lot of 15 and 30 round magazines long before the stupid magazine ban was invented by the gooches up in Sacramento. Since they were already in California and in my possession when the ban became operative, they are totally legal.

I'm sure many of you carbine lovers have legal 15 and 30 round magazines that you put away years ago when they were still completely legal in every way, and kind of forgot about. Look around, you'll find them!

Can you legally sell one of these to another person, and what if someone asks at like the Gun Range or something proof you had it before the Ban?

08-19-2010, 1:46 AM

No, not really... you could have rebuilt your legally owned pre-bans with parts from a post-ban. There really is no way to prove it.