PDA

View Full Version : Firearms on record

boxtype1
08-18-2010, 9:59 AM
Would any type background check reveal how many kind firearms you have. Just wondering.:rolleyes:

Malthusian
08-18-2010, 10:09 AM
AFIK

In about 10 minutes or less all of the firearms that are registered to you, since DROS went into effect in 1991 would be available to any LEA

There is no Federal database

leadstorm
08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
A commercial background check (such as a pre-employment BG check) would not reveal firearms ownership.

A National Crime Information Center (NCIC) check probably does not reveal firearms ownership.

A California DOJ check does reveal number and type of firearms registered to you. If you watch the infamous video of the San Luis Obispo county raid, dispatch was telling the deputies that the subject had 8 guns registered to him while they were driving there.

So, basically, a cop (state/local or federal with CA database access) in CA would know if you have registered guns if they did a check on you. Other than that no besides them and the DOJ should know.

Shadowdrop
08-18-2010, 10:19 AM
The AFS (Automated Firearms System) is accessible by any police officer in the field. This database will show all firearms that are REGISTERED to you. That means, any handgun or RAW. Rifles and shotguns, in the state of CA, are not registered (yet) so they do not show up. I suppose a request to DOJ for DROS records could bring those up, but that isn't something that an officer in the field would be able to do.

Also, any reported lost, stolen, or crime gun that has been entered in the system will show up. So if you reported your shotgun stolen and knew the serial, it would pop up in a search.

tileguy
08-18-2010, 4:49 PM
would a lea know if you have a ccw before they pull you over for a traffic stop ?

beauregard
08-18-2010, 4:53 PM
Would any type background check reveal how many kind firearms you have. Just wondering.:rolleyes:

Pistols yes, rifles no.

Rifles are not "registered" to an owner. During the 10-day wait for a rifle all that's done is a background check on the purchaser.

Malthusian
08-18-2010, 5:43 PM
The AFS (Automated Firearms System) is accessible by any police officer in the field. This database will show all firearms that are REGISTERED to you. That means, any handgun or RAW. Rifles and shotguns, in the state of CA, are not registered (yet) so they do not show up. I suppose a request to DOJ for DROS records could bring those up, but that isn't something that an officer in the field would be able to do.

Also, any reported lost, stolen, or crime gun that has been entered in the system will show up. So if you reported your shotgun stolen and knew the serial, it would pop up in a search.

Firearms purchased before 1991 are not in the AFS?

They are Federally registered and are not required to be State
registered under current CA law

They are essentially Grandfathered?

Also phrased as a question

leadstorm
08-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Rifles are not "registered" to an owner
Registered Assault Weapons include rifles.

Also (and I'm sure it rarely happens) you can register any legal long gun here in CA any time you want to with a form sent to the DOJ. You aren't required to, but you can.

frankm
08-19-2010, 2:16 PM
Since Form 4473 contains the make, model, AND serial number of the weapon you're buying, I'd assume the Feds know.

VytamenC Tactical
08-19-2010, 6:26 PM
had a gun stolen from me about 10 years ago when i reported it stolen a uniformed officer showed up at my house. he look around made some notes and asked me what the serial number of the gun is. i said im not sure he sail lets go out to my car and check out some stuff he asked what kind of gun got stolen and i told him what kind it was and he told me everything about what kind of it was serial number model and everything