PDA

View Full Version : 30 round mags too many answers

TonyKat
05-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Wow i have seen 10 or 20 threads that hash over this question, and just as many answers for and against. One thing i haven't seen is involving grandparents. I grew up without a dad just a single mom. My grandpa is a gun nut and i have 6 AR 30 round mags that i guess he picked up in the 80's or something. He's had me around guns since i was 9 and even though i was underage we both understood that these were my guns. I'm sure many of you had the same setup with your parents. As i got older i was introduced to more powerfully guns. Finally and most importantly AR-15's at age 13. I have lived in California my whole life. My grandfather is still alive.

I can't find an answer for either of these two questions:

A) Since i was only 13 years old when i got the mags am i breaking the law by having them now or am i just extremely lucky to have gotten them when i did? I turned 13 in 1998. I'm 21 now.

B) Since my dad is out of the picture was my grandfather even able to pass them to me at that age since he was not my legal guardian?

Thanks guys

Guns R Tools
05-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Well, there is no age limit of owning a magazine. I don't see why a 13 years old cannot own a magazine. If it was yours then it is yours now.
Lucky you.

As far as guns go. If it is AR15 that is listed on CA AW ban then you cannot have it. Because the AW cannot be transfered.

unsure answer ===>
(If your grandfather has other long guns he can tranfer to your mother then your mother can tranfer to you. I think this is how it works...)

Others will chime in with accurate info.

For your info. for long guns you only need to be 18 years old to legally own one.

Jeff Rambo
05-04-2006, 1:03 AM
Just to make sure it is clear, your grandfather can transfer any of his handguns or long guns to you that are NOT classified as assault weapons by the State of California. The AR's he will have to keep.

TonyKat
05-04-2006, 1:09 AM
Oh i know that about the AR's i'm just concerned with the mags. I'm just now getting interested in building an AR of my own. I was just trying to figure out if i was breaking the law with these mags all these years, and if i can use them in the future.

Jeff Rambo
05-04-2006, 1:34 AM
Also keep in mind that if you currently own an off-list lower and are planning to build it in a fixed-mag configuration, you are limited to 10rd magazines.

TonyKat
05-04-2006, 3:06 AM
Also keep in mind that if you currently own an off-list lower and are planning to build it in a fixed-mag configuration, you are limited to 10rd magazines.
I know that i'm just betting on the lower being listed at some point, but i know thats like a roll of the dice. hopefully we dont come up snake eyes.

LOW2000
05-05-2006, 1:15 PM
If your grandpa transfers a gun to you today, and it has hi-cap mags, he cannot transfer the mags to you, only the gun.

However, if he gave you the mags for safekeeping before 2000 ;) then you are in the clear.

stator
05-05-2006, 3:55 PM
Also keep in mind that if you currently own an off-list lower and are planning to build it in a fixed-mag configuration, you are limited to 10rd magazines while within state boundaries.

Added important info

sierratangofoxtrotunion
05-05-2006, 11:10 PM
If you currently own an off-list lower, grampa's ARs sound to me like complete uppers and parts kits for free...