PDA

View Full Version : New Xbox 360 "Slim"

daveinwoodland
08-18-2010, 7:36 AM
If I can save anyone else the frustration of set up it's worth the post.

If you end up with one of these and need to enter your "MAC" (machine address code) into your router enter both the wireless MAC address and the WIRED address.

I went through all kinds of BS trying to trouble shoot why it would see my wireless network but not join it. For some ungodly reason Microsoft has the wired MAC address as the primary one and the wireless MAC address is just there?

What a non standard thing to do and in my opinion business as usual for them.

NaughtyMonkey
08-18-2010, 8:43 PM
Microsoft seems to always mess something up. I don't like Microsoft much, I think all they care about is money.

blisster
08-19-2010, 10:28 AM
FYI. MAC actually stands for Media Access Control. It's the hardware address of the network adapter, be it wired or wireless. Unless you restrict your wireless access point/router via MAC address you shouldn't need to do this.

JDay
08-19-2010, 11:15 PM
FWI. MAC actually stands for Media Access Control. It's the hardware address of the network adapter, be it wired or wireless. Unless you restrict your wireless access point/router via MAC address you shouldn't need to do this.

Yep, you must have your router setup to only allow wireless connections from certain wireless card MAC addresses.

Bobula
08-19-2010, 11:18 PM
mine worked just fine.

blisster
08-20-2010, 6:34 AM
Yep, you must have your router setup to only allow wireless connections from certain wireless card MAC addresses.

why would you need to do that? Or are you saying that the OP must have his set up like that, and thus the problem?

StephenhDMRS
08-20-2010, 7:56 AM
Mine worked without any of this problem. My old xbox with wireless router attached had this problem. For the life of my I could not get it to work. So i upgraded to the xbox slim and no problems. Connects EVERY TIME. The slim fixed my problems. Sorry for yours. It's most likely a problem with your router.

Gryff
08-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Every device that has a network connection has a MAC address. If the device has two ways have connecting to a network (i.e. wired and wireless) it has two MAC addresses. So the XBox 360 Slim (or an original 360 if you've added the wireless adapter) will have 2 Mac addresses.