PDA

View Full Version : Quick poll, do you keep ALL your guns locked up?

Ryan in SD
08-18-2010, 4:24 AM
I'm just proving someone wrong, need a good pole going.

key word in poll is "ALL".

alex00
08-18-2010, 9:41 AM
I've got a toddler in the house, so everything is locked up. Before kids, I would usaully have a handgun or two out of the safe. Whatever guns I wasn't taking with me got locked in the safe when I left the house.

professorhard
08-18-2010, 9:44 AM
Of course not. If they were all locked up how would I kill someone who I didnt want in my house

NiteQwill
08-18-2010, 10:28 AM
My only gun out and loaded is my HD shotgun and pistol.

liketoshoot
08-18-2010, 10:36 AM
No, it takes to long to open the safe and load, so there is at least one loaded and in reach at all times.
No kids in house, but when little ones do come over they are out of reach.

plug_nickle
08-18-2010, 10:49 AM
No, it takes to long to open the safe and load, so there is at least one loaded and in reach at all times.
No kids in house, but when little ones do come over they are out of reach.

ding, ding, ding....winner, winner, chicken dinner!

MaHoTex
08-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Wit ha 5 yr old in the house, you bet they are all locked up.

Rhythm of Life
08-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I got the AK by the sofa and my 12 gauge is near the bed.

ponderosa
08-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I do but I've been re-thinking that a lot. I have kids, but I also want to be able to protect them w/out fiddling with a lock.

RedFord150
08-18-2010, 11:03 AM
I unlock the nightstand safe (electronic lock, no key required) when I get home at night. This leaves one loaded gun unlocked. I lock it when I leave in the morning. The others are in the big safe and locked up 99% of the time.
When I am gone, they are all locked up 100% of the time.

Milsurps
08-18-2010, 11:15 AM
When kids were at home they were all locked up.
Now their Adults and gone. The HD Shotgun and 9MM are within my reach ALWAYS ! :)

den888
08-18-2010, 11:18 AM
My HD weapon is not, the others are.

Gryff
08-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Of course not. If they were all locked up how would I kill someone who I didnt want in my house

Bedside quick-access safe.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/gunvault.gif

All of my guns are secured because we have kids. I wouldn't be afraid of keeping a bedside gun in a nightstand drawer if there weren't kids in the house, though.

steadyrock
08-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Lots of kids and kids' friends in the house, so yes. But I'm never more than a few seconds away from having a loaded pistol in hand.

ZX-10R
08-18-2010, 11:24 AM
No. How the heck am I going to defend myself with a safe if the safe is:
1) too heavy to throw
2) it does not fire projectiles
3) CA does not protect me...I protect myself.

Super Spy
08-18-2010, 11:25 AM

All of my guns are secured because we have kids. I wouldn't be afraid of keeping a bedside gun in a nightstand drawer if there weren't kids in the house, though.

Yup.....my go to gun is in a quick access safe and everything else is in the gunsafe.

professorhard
08-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Definitely a good idea but I prefer hardware of a more serious nature.

ir0nclash86
08-18-2010, 11:30 AM
When I'm home I keep 2 firearms out and the rest in the safe. When I leave for the day, the expensive gun goes in the safe and 1 stays out. I don't have enough room to fit everything in my safe so the shotty stay out hidden.

Red Devil
08-18-2010, 11:42 AM
One handy at home, ...one handy in the truck.

Two boys under 10 at home, ...I could leave'em loaded out on the coffee table.

The problem, as already stated, is OTHER people's kids.

I like the look of that quick-safe though. (if not just for the "cool" factor)

frankDmole
08-18-2010, 11:49 AM
one loaded ready to fire at a moments notice, but out of reach from my kids, but i am thinking of a bedside safe. the rest are locked up.

cmichini
08-18-2010, 12:10 PM

Prof - you may want to edit that to 'how will I stop a threat...' . The intent to kill doesn't sound too good, and makes you sound like the aggressor. The intent to 'stop the threat' leaves open the thought that you are just trying to protect yourself and if the scumbag winds up taking a dirt nap, that's just gravy.

JB-Norcal
08-18-2010, 12:18 PM
If not on me, then yes, locked. I have kids and a crazy wife in the home.

Cochise82
08-18-2010, 12:30 PM
All guns are locked up because I got a 2yr and 3yr olds running around. One gun is always in a quick access safe that would take about 3 seconds to get on target if need be.

I love my wife because she wants me to sleep with it under my pillow, but I'm afraid of forgetting to put it back in the safe when I wake up. Kids safety first, mine second ;)

nick
08-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Aside from HD handgun that's not in the safe, I usually have a one or more unfinished projects around. And I kinda ran out of the room in the safes, I have to get another one :(

glockman19
08-18-2010, 12:41 PM
NO. I always have one loaded gun within reach or on my person.

joedogboy
08-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I keep the house locked when I am not at home. But somehow I think you may be asking about safes, cabinets, gun cases, and trigger locks.

To clarify, would a firearm in a locked closet be considered "locked up" to you? It is certainly secure from a wandering child or being accidentally handled by a house guest, so liability issues are covered.
How about a gun in plain sight in the bedroom or living room, but with a trigger lock affixed?
Locked in a travel case?

Before I got the new safe, I didn't have space for all of them in the old safe, so I would remove the volts from the bolt actions, and lock them up - but leave the rifles themselves out.

I also don't lock up my airsoft guns.

PsychGuy274
08-18-2010, 1:26 PM
Loaded shotgun in closet, loaded handgun bedside.

No kids.

When "friend of friends" that I don't know come over or when me and my buddies are drinking, they are unloaded, locked and hidden.

joefreas
08-18-2010, 1:32 PM
The results are surprising to me. All of my guns are locked up. My home defense guns are loaded in quick-open safes. I wouldn't be able to relax if I knew someone could easily get to one of my loaded guns. I have heard too many horror stories of kids getting killed and the gun owner going to prison. Not for me-

bongfoo
08-18-2010, 3:30 PM
i've noticed that alot of people here are concerned that the children will get at the firearms. i'm like most of you guys and have a HD shotgun and 9MM loaded and not locked up. i also have 3 kids in my house.

now that being said , my wife used to be adamant about not having a gun in our home. she was completely terrified about our kids getting their hands on it and "accedentally" shooting one of their siblings. this fear comming from the stories of kids finding daddys gun and playing with it. subsequently shooting either themselves or someone else.

i firmly believe that the above forementioned scenario is due to ignorance and/or curiosity. i mentioned this to my wife and it got her thinking. my thing is that i make sure my kids know the difference between a toy and the real thing.i started them when they were young (my oldest was13 and the other two were 8 and 6) when i get a new firearm, the first thing i do is gather my children and place it in their hands. i then continue on and instruct them in the proper handling of a firearm (it's a repetetive lecture. so it's getting pounded in their heads). i show them how to make sure THAT particular firearm unloaded and safe.

now as far as i'm concerned i've eliminated the Mmajor factors of ignorance and curiosity. my wife refused to believe this however, so i had to prove it to her. i took my first pistol (G-17) and placed a empty clip in it. i set it on the kitchen counter with a "tell" on it (a little string placed across it so that if it was picked up i'd know). it sat on the counter for 3 days without being disturbed.

now that i've convinced my wife that the ignorance and curiosity factors are gone. she knows and that my kids will not "find and play with" my firearms. now show&tell it's a ritual that the kids have come to enjoy as much as i do.

i don't expect all of you guys to agree with my methods/philosophy. i also do not recommend doing what i do. i do it this way because i know my kids. if i for one second thought my kids would not understand what i was trying to convey to them, i would not do it.

i guess the flamings begin now....

Air
08-18-2010, 3:34 PM
Locked when I'm not here, handy and accessible when I am here.

BayAreaShooter
08-18-2010, 3:35 PM
You have to have one when you need it.

joefreas
08-18-2010, 3:36 PM
http://cbs4.com/local/gun.shot.shooting.2.1864181.html

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/424858_mason10.html

These two are within the last week-

Red Devil
08-18-2010, 3:39 PM
i've noticed that alot of people here are concerned that the children will get at the firearms. i'm like most of you guys and have a HD shotgun and 9MM loaded and not locked up. i also have 3 kids in my house.

now that being said , my wife used to be adamant about not having a gun in our home. she was completely terrified about our kids getting their hands on it and "accedentally" shooting one of their siblings. this fear comming from the stories of kids finding daddys gun and playing with it. subsequently shooting either themselves or someone else.

i firmly believe that the above forementioned scenario is due to ignorance and/or curiosity. i mentioned this to my wife and it got her thinking. my thing is that i make sure my kids know the difference between a toy and the real thing.i started them when they were young (my oldest was13 and the other two were 8 and 6) when i get a new firearm, the first thing i do is gather my children and place it in their hands. i then continue on and instruct them in the proper handling of a firearm (it's a repetetive lecture. so it's getting pounded in their heads). i show them how to make sure THAT particular firearm unloaded and safe.

now as far as i'm concerned i've eliminated the Mmajor factors of ignorance and curiosity. my wife refused to believe this however, so i had to prove it to her. i took my first pistol (G-17) and placed a empty clip in it. i set it on the kitchen counter with a "tell" on it (a little string placed across it so that if it was picked up i'd know). it sat on the counter for 3 days without being disturbed.

now that i've convinced my wife that the ignorance and curiosity factors are gone. she knows and that my kids will not "find and play with" my firearms. now show&tell it's a ritual that the kids have come to enjoy as much as i do.

i don't expect all of you guys to agree with my methods/philosophy. i also do not recommend doing what i do. i do it this way because i know my kids. if i for one second thought my kids would not understand what i was trying to convey to them, i would not do it.

As posted in the "gun cleaning regularity" thread...

...We started cleaning guns before we were old enough to start shooin'em.

Great chore for young kids because it needs to be learned and done anyway (like wipin' your butt), ...and it removes the stigma and excitement of handling them.

A few years of "just cleaning", ...including an inspection afterward, ...and they become as exiting as hammers.

faterikcartman
08-18-2010, 3:41 PM
Your poll is impossible to answer as worded. Do you mean ALL THE TIME? Which means I could never shoot them. Or do you mean when you're not home? Or what do you mean?

bongfoo
08-18-2010, 3:42 PM
LMAO, i never thought to have them clean them for me! but then again i ENJOY cleaning my firearms. gives me a chance to closely inspect for any kind of damage to anything.

joedogboy
08-18-2010, 4:00 PM
I don't store any of my firearms loaded. I do keep loaded magazines/speedloaders in the safe with a few of them.

ArcLight
08-18-2010, 4:30 PM
All but the saiga 12 which i keep fully loaded in a popout box above my headboard.

joefreas
08-18-2010, 4:41 PM
Another one. http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/aug/18/juvenile-shot-this-morning-in-camarillo/

gun toting monkeyboy
08-18-2010, 4:41 PM
I have 2 kids in the house. I don't keep all the guns locked up. But the ammunition, on the other hand, is all inaccessible. And I don't really worry about other kids coming over to the house with ammunition that they could use in the 1-2 guns that are normally in closets. 6.5x53R and Italian 10.35mm revolver ammo aren't exactly easy to come by...

Catheaven
08-18-2010, 4:51 PM
There are young children in the house so we do make sure and keep them locked up.

ShootinMedic
08-18-2010, 4:55 PM
When it isn't on me or with me at night it is locked up

Milsurps
08-18-2010, 5:26 PM
now that i've convinced my wife that the ignorance and curiosity factors are gone.

The neighbor kids, and your friends kids are surely not as well behaved as yours and they are curious. Their the ones I would be concerned with in your situation.
Congrats on teaching your children well. :D

My 2

ZX-10R
08-18-2010, 5:53 PM

You are my hero. You are what most people fail to do with their children nowadays...That is to instruct them to obey YOUR rules in YOUR household. Excellent job. I wish more people raised their kids like you. My daughter does not touch the M44 that is in our master bedroom. She goes in to watch TV there if she does not want to watch TV down stairs.

She knows what it is. Knows what it can do. Knows better than to disobey me. Now I just need her to want to go shooting. :D She is 14. If a friend is over it goes into my wife's closet.

rimfire78
08-18-2010, 6:36 PM
:iagree: My Dad taught us the same way when we were young, and we never touched the real guns unless we had supervision and permission.

- Locked when not home. Otherwise we keep a couple loaded and strategically placed.

bongfoo
08-18-2010, 8:03 PM
The neighbor kids, and your friends kids are surely not as well behaved as yours and they are curious. Their the ones I would be concerned with in your situation.
Congrats on teaching your children well. :D

My 2

i don't keep the loaded ones in plain view, although my oldest knows where they are in the event of an emergency (she turns 17 next month). i don't keep them "loaded" either, i keep them at condition 3 (loaded mag in the gun nothing in the chamber and shells in the tube but none in the breech).

Bukowski
08-18-2010, 8:23 PM
Two kids under 4 years old all guns locked up. Neighbor jumped the fence the other night and both the wife and I were up and "ready" before he got within 10' of the house.

Takes me longer to put on my glasses than it does to open the bedside safe.

Rob454
08-18-2010, 9:44 PM
When im not home yes its all locked up. When im home I have a gun readily available

EWILKE
08-18-2010, 9:47 PM
not in main safe but still locked up in mini gun vaults.