PDA

View Full Version : just when you think you are safe

rubber duckie
08-17-2010, 7:52 PM
earlier today as i was playing with my newborn, i heard the neighbors dog bark and cry, i didn't think anything of it, he always does since he is still a puppy(lol big *** pit. around that time i heard my side gate shake and open. i ran down stairs and didn't see anything so i just let it go. an hour later i went to check the gate and it was wide open.

now maybe some of you guys think i live in a pretty bad area... well i live in a really nice area, in a gated community. kids are running around outside playing, people are walking their dog, and joggers in the community.

i was in the front yard at around 7:30 , the neighbor comes up to me and ask if i was broken into today. she said her dad got home at 4 and noticed the house was a mess.

since then i have gotten to be a little paranoid. now i am ready to protect my home and family, the only thing that keeps popping into my head is.. putting down someone that's in my home and what will happen to me "legally" if i do so.

G-Man WC
08-17-2010, 8:10 PM
You need to ask yourself were you in fear of your families life and were you stopping an advancing threat when you went boom. I would have no problem drawing down and acquiring dirtbag target. Pulling the trigger on a kid ransacking a house and running from you and getting shot in the back is a no go and will get you in trouble.
However, a meth head kicking down the door and coming in is going to die in the entry way in my house. -g

Colt
08-17-2010, 8:44 PM
where (generally, maybe zip code) do you live? I'm thinking there'll be more and more of this in the "nicer" neighborhoods...

rubber duckie
08-17-2010, 8:52 PM
im right around huntington beach area. when i say im in a gated community its not your run of the mill apartment complex, im in a community with 700k homes. til today i have never keep my AR and AK loaded. time to take the wife to the range and have her practice. i was going to do it before but had to wait for her to be done with pregnancy.

rubber duckie
08-17-2010, 8:56 PM
You need to ask yourself were you in fear of your families life and were you stopping an advancing threat when you went boom. I would have no problem drawing down and acquiring dirtbag target. Pulling the trigger on a kid ransacking a house and running from you and getting shot in the back is a no go and will get you in trouble.
However, a meth head kicking down the door and coming in is going to die in the entry way in my house. -g

around here i have yet to see a crack head or meth addict. the break ins i heard about before have been puck *** kids going after ps3's and 360's. i have no issue with shooting anyone that broke into my house, man, women, or kids. i guess i should get some less lethal ammo . time for a saiga 12 with rubber slugs or bean bags..

tankerman
08-17-2010, 9:28 PM
around here i have yet to see a crack head or meth addict. the break ins i heard about before have been puck *** kids going after ps3's and 360's. i have no issue with shooting anyone that broke into my house, man, women, or kids. i guess i should get some less lethal ammo . time for a saiga 12 with rubber slugs or bean bags..
If you're near H-B, crackheads, meth addicts are never far away.

firemedic679
08-17-2010, 9:34 PM
Live in fresno county, city of clovis. There have been 65 home burgalries this month alone and they are getting bolder and bolder. They are now targeting open garages with families home! Nice areas too. God forbid the BG who tries to come into my house.

Helpful_Cub
08-17-2010, 9:36 PM
im right around huntington beach area. when i say im in a gated community its not your run of the mill apartment complex, im in a community with 700k homes. til today i have never keep my AR and AK loaded. time to take the wife to the range and have her practice. i was going to do it before but had to wait for her to be done with pregnancy.

You may want to be careful with that AR or AK. If you use rifle rounds, they'll very likely make it into your neighbors house before stopping.

rubber duckie
08-17-2010, 9:38 PM
those are my last resorts, im sure 2 mags of .45s from my 1911 would be ok.

Spiggy
08-17-2010, 9:44 PM

Don't bother with the less-lethal. Some clown is ready to bust down your door and kill your family, don't bother being polite.

Mr Wizard
08-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Less lethal defense is a set up for a civil lawsuit. A commie defense lawyer will accuse you of willful cruel and unusual punishment on his client, since you planned a premeditated attack, designed specifically to physically torture his "innocent" client. He not only beats a home invasion charge, but gets your house too.

Disclaimer: I would try everything in my power to remove my family from harms way without confronting the threat. If all else fails,the Mozambique triple tap insures there is only one story to tell.

stitchnicklas
08-17-2010, 10:45 PM
in my home any intruder is considered armed and a fair target,i would rather deal with the courts then lay in a pine box.

side note:
i am out of town right now and my wife heard a noise at 11pm last night"creaky house sydrome " ,i asked her what she thought she heard and she said solid sound,???.
i asked her what she did??......

she said she did a room search with her sig pro 2340 with corbon 357sig rds......:38:

..i have a awesome wife.....crack shot too..

no intruders,she went bed and all was well..

PsychGuy274
08-18-2010, 6:30 AM
VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO!!!

Install surveillance equipment by your gate/front door/garage/back door with audio if possible.

Also, motion sensor flood lights work wonders.

If that's too expensive for you, you can always get a cardboard cutout of Chuck Norris and put it in your bushes :p

But seriously, get surveillance equipment.

code3run
08-18-2010, 7:07 AM
It doesnt matter where you live. I work for police dept and take these reports all day long. My house just got broken into 2 weeks ago. 1pm in the 30 mins we were not home. I used to keep windows and doors open but no longer. Being a victim myself changed everything..

ricknadine1111
08-18-2010, 7:43 AM
There is a lot of foot traffic in that area due to beach visitors...etc

Mendo223
08-18-2010, 11:37 AM
man i swear im hearing about home burglaries every day now..im getting super paranoid about my gun safe.

my neighbors car was just broken into across the street....

Lucky Scott
08-18-2010, 11:45 AM
A house alarm is a good idea, and a padlock on that side gate would be good.
Not a good idea having the AK, AR and .45 loaded with a baby in the house unless you set up a good quick access safe like those small handgun safes.

Looks like you need to do some home security stuff around the place and not think you are safe because you live in a nice area.

Do a search on this forum and you will find a lot of stuff that is helpful.

acolytes
08-18-2010, 11:46 AM
man i swear im hearing about home burglaries every day now..im getting super paranoid about my gun safe.

+1, I think the current state of the economy is causing a rise in burglaries/home invasions. Two seperate people I know have already burglarized in the past month.

greasemonkey
08-18-2010, 11:57 AM

Just make sure it's a decent safe and is bolted to the ground/floor.

As firemedic mentioned, there have been a few strings of robberies here in fresno. Seems like there is a small organized group doing this, from talking to a few others in town.

A couple months ago I was walking early in the morning in my neighborhood (renting a room in a house in a VERY NICE neighborhood) and my dog startled an out-of-place guy who I'm very certain was casing the neighborhood...he got very angry and confrontational about my dog not being on a leash, startling him from standing on the edge of the road peering into someones front windows(by trotting up and sniffing him, I guess hackles were up...). "Your dog needs to be on a LEASH! Next time I'll bust a cap in your dog, I straight kill 'im, fool, I'll kill 'im". Needless to say, his demeanor and clothes did NOT go with the neighborhood.

TregoMark
08-18-2010, 2:46 PM
You may want to be careful with that AR or AK. If you use rifle rounds, they'll very likely make it into your neighbors house before stopping.

Actually most common AR rounds don't travel well through walls. We tested about 10 different common rounds from full metal to nosler to soft tips and they all fragmented fairly well by the third interior wall (two sheets dry wall spaced with 2x4 and all wall sections were spaced about 6 feet apart). 9mm and .40 traveled straight through like they were going through butter. Can't speak for the for 7.62x39 because we didn't test those.

Scratch705
08-18-2010, 3:40 PM
"Your dog needs to be on a LEASH! Next time I'll bust a cap in your dog, I straight kill 'im, fool, I'll kill 'im". Needless to say, his demeanor and clothes did NOT go with the neighborhood.

should have said, oh really, you got a gun on you? let me call the cops then so you can report my unleashed dog.

CA_SHARPSHOOTER
08-18-2010, 3:59 PM
got our car broken into a month ago, that was my wake up call. They shattered the window with a rock and neither me, my girlfriend or my dogs woke up, now I have an alarm system for at the very least an early warning indicator of an intruder.

BillCA
08-18-2010, 8:31 PM
earlier today as i was playing with my newborn, i heard the neighbors dog bark and cry, i didn't think anything of it, he always does since he is still a puppy(lol big *** pit. around that time i heard my side gate shake and open. i ran down stairs and didn't see anything so i just let it go. an hour later i went to check the gate and it was wide open.

now maybe some of you guys think i live in a pretty bad area... well i live in a really nice area, in a gated community. kids are running around outside playing, people are walking their dog, and joggers in the community.

i was in the front yard at around 7:30 , the neighbor comes up to me and ask if i was broken into today. she said her dad got home at 4 and noticed the house was a mess.

since then i have gotten to be a little paranoid. now i am ready to protect my home and family, the only thing that keeps popping into my head is.. putting down someone that's in my home and what will happen to me "legally" if i do so.

You can padlock the gates but that sometimes is a real pain in the rear. Instead, go to the hardware store and select some cow bells. Affix these to the backside of the gate far enough down and centered that they can't be "silenced" by reaching around. Different sizes give different tones and may help you know which gate is being opened. As a foil to intruders, remount the gate latches lower so they are a long reach over the top. Secure with a cheap carabiner type loop.

A steel security screen door offers an added layer of protection when answering the door. Via the peephole, if the screen is open, do not open your door. Keeping it secured with a knob and deadbolt lock allows you to vent the house when cool. Your regular door should have a knob lock, a separate deadbolt lock (flush mounted if possible) and either a chain or kick-lock (kick locks mount into a floor hole and prevent kick opens).

Plant low shrubs under each window for noise. Extra protection comes from using thorny plants - cactus, roses, lemon bushes, pyracantha. Or landscape pea-gravel/granite rock areas near windows for the crunching noise. Secure sliding windows with sections of aluminum "U" channel placed in the track. Cut one piece about 4" short and one piece about 2". Put two together to allow window to be open only 2" or 4" without the short piece. The 4" window opening when people are home to vent the house. Add battery powered stick-on alarms to window sliders & frame to warn of tampering.

Get a subtle, simple "Beware of dog" sign and post on your gates. Even if you don't have a dog. It warns that a dog may be present to raise an alarm or bite.

Challenge "solicitors" - especially people selling magazines or other items they don't have to tote along samples of the products. Most gated communities are posted "No Trespassing" and "No Soliciting". Be sure yours is posted. Solicitors inside the gate should be challeged by asking what they're selling and then asking to see there city permit for d-to-d sales. If legit, explain the property is posted and the managment is usually strict and they should leave. If not legit ("forgot" permit, doesn't have/need one) direct them to the nearest exit and tell them soliciting isn't permitted and they should leave pronto. Don't argue or threaten. Just go call the cops if they don't comply.

Fun tip: Our townhome community isn't gated but just posted. A few nights ago, some guys were wandering around so a neighbor and I asked if they were lost. One quickly said they were looking for "a buddy's place" but at night they were lost. Of course they didn't know the exact number either. So I asked "Do you know what building letter it was?" One shook his head and the other said "Building D!" Really? Are you sure it was building D? He was. (There's no building numbers here.) "Well, you're in the wrong place. You need to go find the right complex." They thanked us and left while we watched. And reported them to the cops before they'd cleared the property. :D

Falstaff
08-18-2010, 8:54 PM
Welcome to the Greater Depression. I feel for you Southern CA peeps- you and your families are in grave danger.

norcal.xd
08-19-2010, 9:07 AM
im sorry but i dont think any neighborhood is safe now of days....

frankm
08-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Unemployment just went up again. The so-called recovery was a sham. It's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better. Buy your safes, etc. now while you still have jobs.

timmyb21
08-19-2010, 1:13 PM
Live in fresno county, city of clovis. There have been 65 home burgalries this month alone and they are getting bolder and bolder. They are now targeting open garages with families home! Nice areas too. God forbid the BG who tries to come into my house.

Same here, well, NW Fresno, not Clovis. I'm home all day during the week, my wife all weekend (we have horrible work schedules) so if anyone tries to break in here, chances are pretty good that someone is home. And armed. Lots of LE live in our neighborhood, neighbors all know our schedules and seem to look out for each other. I hope no one tries to break in with my wife home, she'd empty a mag into someone, the load up another and keep shooting!!

RedFord150
08-19-2010, 1:27 PM
...Get a subtle, simple "Beware of dog" sign and post on your gates. Even if you don't have a dog. It warns that a dog may be present to raise an alarm or bite. ...

I previously had this sign on my gate. I have kept German Shepherds for many years. I had a neighbor swear to me that he put himself through a police academy and they were advised to put up no trespassing signs instead. The theory being that if your dog actually bit someone, you had knowingly created a dangerous weapon. The sign proves you knew. This opens the dog owner to civil liability.
I have trouble believing this. Right now, I have the dog, but no sign.
Anybody in LE ever heard this theory before?

BillCA
08-20-2010, 2:32 AM
I previously had this sign on my gate. I have kept German Shepherds for many years. I had a neighbor swear to me that he put himself through a police academy and they were advised to put up no trespassing signs instead. The theory being that if your dog actually bit someone, you had knowingly created a dangerous weapon. The sign proves you knew. This opens the dog owner to civil liability.
I have trouble believing this. Right now, I have the dog, but no sign.
Anybody in LE ever heard this theory before?

Lesse... one legal theory says if you put up a "beware of dog" sign and someone is bitten, it indicates you knew the dog would be aggressive and prone to biting and thus created a dangerous situation?

Another legal theory says... if you don't put up the sign and someone -- such as a meter reader, utility worker, PD/FD -- enters your yard and is bitten by your dog, you were negligent for not posting a warning that the yard contained a dog.

So... which way is it? Warn people of a possible danger and get sued? Or don't warn them and get sued?

VictorFranko
08-20-2010, 3:36 AM
now maybe some of you guys think i live in a pretty bad area... well i live in a really nice area, in a gated community.
when i say im in a gated community its not your run of the mill apartment complex, im in a community with 700k homes.

Every time something like this comes up, the poster is surprised because they live in a nice area, not a bad area.
Even stupid bad guys know where the good stuff is, jeez........

ZX-10R
08-20-2010, 5:37 AM

You let way to many warning signs go by you. Be lucky it was not you. Next time, don't assume anything and instead be more prepared. Sucks for your neighbor but stinks you were asleep at the wheel. I live in a good neighborhood as well and I am mindful not for me but for MY neighborhood. The reason being is now this was an "easy" hit and you can guarantee a follow up.

I am not trying to blame your or anything but sounds like that are not really normal at times. My dog goes nuts when people are too close to the back (trails back there) and are near the front. First thing I do is call her out and then have her lead me to the noise. If she is inside I call her until she appears. Be prepared...This world is not like it used to be. You are in a 700K area my area is even more and we have had people steal exhausts and tail sections of my neighbors MDX and his Infinit. No neighborhood is safe.

Good you are safe but look out for your territory - you live in it.