PDA

View Full Version : ...

Foriegn power
08-17-2010, 9:07 AM

maddoggie13
08-17-2010, 9:10 AM
Got her a G34 with 4.5lbs trigger pull...nice and light. The SP101 is a great gun also.

pullnshoot25
08-17-2010, 10:16 AM
FNP-9
Hi-Power
CZ-82 or Makarov

My personal suggestions.

choprzrul
08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
find a smith & wesson model 13 or 65 in 4inch. 38 or 357. Get the trigger worked. This will give her the light recoil of 38, defense capability of 357, better accuracy of 4 inch, smooth and light double action pull, option for light single action pull, stainless or blued, and the ability to tailor the grips to match her hands. My wife loves hers and I have no reservations making this recommendation based upon her experiences.

ARtistinCA
08-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I concur with Pullnshoot25 on the FNP-9. THe more she shoots the more comfortable she will get with the sidearm. Even a good .380 like the new Walther PK380 might be good but they ARE pricy. I'd stay away from super small 380's because since they are smaller more recoil.

My wife carries a SIG P220 at work and loves my GLOCK 27 but thinks its "ugly".

IF its strictly (SP) a home defense gun ... get her a .410 or 20 gauge pump shotgun and load it with birdshot. Just my 2 cents ....

Steyrlp10
08-17-2010, 12:58 PM
To the OP:

Being one of the female Calgunners on here, you're receiving ideal suggestions from the other members. I've mentioned my favorite before, a Colt 1911, but in stressful conditions, I enjoy the luxury of having back-up plans.

A revolver will never fail a woman simply because there are less moving parts and less chances of misfeeds. Personally, I like the .38 spl WC in the Model 66. I don't work the double action feature, but that's me. (I don't plan on shooting a lot of rounds, just shooting accurately.)

I also like my Remington 870. I have slugs and birdshot, but it's really the "rack" that gets everyone's attention.

As the others have mentioned, keep her practicing to build her confidence. More importantly, get her signed on here :)

pullnshoot25
08-17-2010, 2:56 PM
I concur with Pullnshoot25 on the FNP-9. THe more she shoots the more comfortable she will get with the sidearm. Even a good .380 like the new Walther PK380 might be good but they ARE pricy. I'd stay away from super small 380's because since they are smaller more recoil.

IF its strictly (SP) a home defense gun ... get her a .410 or 20 gauge pump shotgun and load it with birdshot. Just my 2 cents ....

Makarov = Walther PK380, just waaaay cooler and cheaper! :)

Chk Chk Boom
08-17-2010, 3:13 PM

IF its strictly (SP) a home defense gun ... get her a .410 or 20 gauge pump shotgun and load it with birdshot BUCKSHOT Just my 2 cents ....

There, fixed it for you.

Sajedene
08-17-2010, 8:08 PM
If she likes the Glock, why not try out other 9mm Glocks (not a subcompact)?

Maybe its just me, but since I shoot the G27 (.40 sub compact - and I personally think its sexy :p) I find the full size kicks easier.

Or just have her keep practicing with the sub compact and make sure she's holding it right as that does make a world of difference.

Reductio
08-17-2010, 10:31 PM
IF its strictly (SP) a home defense gun ... get her a .410 or 20 gauge pump shotgun and load it with birdshot BUCKSHOT. Just my 2 cents ....

There, fixed it for you.

Fixed again for you... 410 for home defense, really?!

ARtistinCA
08-18-2010, 12:43 AM
There, fixed it for you.

LOL... no buckshot goes through walls.... I know from experience. I have a little one in the house if, GOD FORBID, something where to happen I dont want rounds going thru the wall. If birdshot does go thru it will not be near as lethal as buckshot. Besides... birdshot at 5-10 meter is VERY VERY BAD.

EDIT:

I was involved in a shootout where I shot a suspect who was shooting at me/partners. I took the shot at 25.5 yards, I missed by 4" (long story) with a 2 3/4" 12 G. 00 Tac Buck. 8 pellets went THRU an exterior stucko wall at an angle, one hit a metal stair railing denting it deeply but bouncing off. Of the 8 that went thru, 3 were MIA somewhere in the apartment and 5 embedded themselves in the exteriror door that was opened to the inside. That is a lot of energy going downrange to peenetrate an exterior 6" thick stucco covered wall and then deeply imbed into a exterior door.

Now imagine what a 9mm/40/45/357 will do when when shoot it inside a house? If you miss where is that round going? What happens if it goes through your wall then into your neighbors apartment, then into THEIR neighbors apartment???

ARtistinCA
08-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Fixed again for you... 410 for home defense, really?!

Yup .. we are talking 5-10 meter range. .410 birdshot 7.5 shot at that range!!! Hell yes it will work. And if you have a small person, yes even male, that knows how to handle a low recoil pump action .410 with 3 rounds of .410.... it WILL ruin your day.

See my last post about penetration.

What Just Happened?
08-18-2010, 4:01 AM
I hear that Ruger LCR's have a much nicer double action trigger pull. Try that.

Steyrlp10
08-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Yup .. we are talking 5-10 meter range. .410 birdshot 7.5 shot at that range!!! Hell yes it will work. And if you have a small person, yes even male, that knows how to handle a low recoil pump action .410 with 3 rounds of .410.... it WILL ruin your day.

See my last post about penetration.

I agree... the whole idea is that bad guys aren't expecting a woman to be both armed and willing to fight back. Isn't it typical for bad people to enjoy attacking others, but when the shoe is on the other foot, they're weenies?

ARtistinCA
08-19-2010, 2:42 AM
I hear that Ruger LCR's have a much nicer double action trigger pull. Try that.

I got to put a few rounds thru one and it was very nice. I would recommend one to anyone interested in a wheel gun.

Steyrlp10
08-19-2010, 12:45 PM
I will keep you all updated, I may have to give her my Glock another reason to get an 1911!

YESSSSSSS :D

missiondude
08-22-2010, 2:40 PM
My wife loves her S&W M&P 9mm (not compact). Did a trigger job (Apex) and it's a nice easy pull. Fits her hand really well, and has interchangeable grips.

NorCalMama
08-22-2010, 3:18 PM
I have both a G19 and a G26 and love them both! I have found the recoil is easier on the compact vs the 19, but both are fabulous! :)

onequickshift
10-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Honestly I love my G26, recoil isn't as annoying as much as she may think. I have shot 40 cal on other pistols I don't really like it, but it just takes training/practice, plus more muscle/hand control. Give her those weird hand squeeze things. I use those, as well push ups and other arm and there of toning/strengthening. I also like firing snubs. Problem is accuracy.

I personally like G26 cause its small and doesn't need anymore space that unused since CA cap is at 10 rounds, its mag capacities are perfect. Honestly though even with the Glock its more rounds, but the revolver is simpler. A G19 would be good size to coupled with good HD rounds, she should be GTG, she live in a house or condo? apartment? She could take steps to safeguard herself, like if she owns, to install exterior lighting, I just bought a place in CO with my bf, flooding lights are on the install list, along with window bars, and etc stuff I won't post, but its mainly do to his paranoia I attract wrong kind of attention from random passerby kinda guys. Eh. But she could also install timer for lights in her place, so they turn on slightly before she comes home, so place is well lit? Thats always a good idea. Alarm, a big dog, trained and behaved. Just stuff like that. Also if the area is ok, to become friendly with neighbors so if they see anything suspicious they can let her know or call the police. Cause one of the biggest things to be concerned about yes is safety, especially for women.

It may be over kill but she should practice securing her place down, checking everything, and not just a handgun, she should keep a taser in the house as well sprays. Cause a dinky hallow door will NOT keep an intruder out, as well calling the police, only a few minutes away can give an intruder time to cause bodily harm, rape, rob, murder. etc. Ugh. Crime is a big thing now adays, alot of trash out there, sleep over at her place for the first week or so, and try to every few nights if you can, let exterior people see there is a male or other person present. Put cutains and blinds, install blocks in window paths, make her place and her as unappealing a target as possible. I take stuff like this to heart, cause I've had stalkers, and other situations happen to me personally already. 38 is a nice proper stopper, among other options, but for me personally? Pistol, SG, Rifle, and other stuff hidden around and secure. Thats just me. Tae Kwon Do, and many other physical ed studies, and practices, only ones self can really secure oneself to the best of there of, ability. There are other sites I cant remember online for securing your home, surveying and observing new surrounds i.e. like moving into an area, being aware of home invasions. etc.

A single weapon should never be a sole reliance, one should be as broad as the colors of the spectrum, train your mind, train your body, outfit yourself, and be mindful. One doesn't have to live in constant fear, just be able to take the best steps they possibly can, to protect themselves and their signif others. Practice Practice Practice, your best days of shooting will be nothing like when you shoot in an emergency/stressed situation. If you buy a gun and dont practice, it wont do you much good in a stressful situation, so whatever she gets, just have her shoot a few times a week, to keep sharp and gain comfort with the said firearm. Also, I love my G26 as I said, but I am in process of getting more items and with more stopping power. Been hearing stories from bf's friends who work LE out east, about home invasions and how gang members are using body armor and such, outfitting with weapons and gear. Some are members on popular weapon forums, some may even be members here for CA. So just be aware that a 22 may not do much if anything at all, I am concerned with my 9mm lol. I was throwing around right now g21 or g23, I am ganna go the 21 route. Anyways holy crap I wrote alot, eh semi day off, so why not! lol.

Agent Tikki
10-07-2010, 5:01 PM
have you tried out the .380 auto? Walther PPK-S or Sig 232?