View Full Version : Who is a fan of that M-Pro 7 stuff?

08-16-2010, 8:42 PM
...And is it really "re-usuable" or does it's cleaning quality drop after that? How long is its shelf life?

And if you do like the stuff, why?

Pvt. Cowboy
08-16-2010, 8:52 PM
They have a lot of products, but the only one I've used is the 'M Pro 7 Ultimate Gun Lubrication'. I just finished a 2oz bottle of it, and I must have bought it long ago since the packaging seems to have changed and there doesn't appear to be any lubrication product in their line under the name I bought it.

It's OK. Seemed like Teflon oil is all.

What I use now is Militec-1 for all gun lubricant. Now THAT stuff is slippery. Supposed to condition metal if you follow the instructions, which I have. I only put it on bare metal, and not painted surfaces.

08-16-2010, 9:13 PM
Huh, I should be more specific. I was asking about their "non toxic" cleaner/solvent...

08-16-2010, 9:41 PM
I love the cleaner. Used it for years.

And, I agree with on of the above posts - Militec-1 lube rocks.

Beetle Bailey
08-16-2010, 9:45 PM
I use the M-Pro 7 to clean my barrels. Main reason I chose it was that it was non-toxic. No complaints, but I still wear rubber gloves.

08-16-2010, 9:48 PM
if it's the same non-toxic solvent that comes in the little spray bottles, i've tried it. It's alright, seems to work better on smooth and shiny metal rather than finished surfaces. Smells very faintly like windex. Not reusable, it actually foams in contact with crap (which is kind of useful for gauging how clean your gun is). Not really worth the money in my opinion, unless you really want the non-toxic odorless thing...

SLiP2000 Carbon Killer is pretty cool stuff. Comes in this little jar, you just shake up the jar, drop your gun parts in, let 'em sit for 15 minutes or so, and then fish 'em out and give 'em a good scrub. Pretty good at softening up the stubborn stuff. and that stuff IS reusable: just seal the jar back up and use it til it's mostly black. http://www.slip2000.com/carbonkiller.html

Both of these strip all the rust protection off the gun, so make sure to re-oil really well...

08-16-2010, 10:07 PM
I use it, and it works pretty well for me. However, since I don't get to the point where my guns are really dirty and have some hard to clean out crap in them, take my opinion for what it's worth.

I also use Militec-1 for lubricant, and Slide-Glide for grease.

08-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Have tried the water based cleaners, never really impressed, have to go back over with oil anyways. I use CLP for EVERYTHING, Shooteers choice for the copper in rifles, and Tetra grease on the few rifles that actualy need grease (M1 Garand.)

08-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I use CLP for everything too. Never really tried other brands. Will venture though.

08-17-2010, 12:43 AM
I use M pro 7 cleaner on all my guns and recommend it. It works pretty well, doesn't have nasty fumes, and is not caustic. I still wear gloves most of the time.

I have CLP but don't really use it; I use m pro 7 and then shooter's choice oil. I find that keeping the "C" and "L" in separate steps yields better results.

Have never even thought of reusing the stuff -- I just have a big bottle of it. Even the small spray bottles last a long time -- it doesn't take much.

The only time I use something stronger is when I need to remove lead or copper fouling from the barrel -- which is not often.

08-17-2010, 4:59 AM
Please stay away from Militech-1 - I take meticulous care of my firearms and I've never had rust until I used Militech-1.

There is a lot of information on the web about the lube.

08-17-2010, 6:27 AM
I tried some a few years back to get rid of the stubborn carbon rings on the cylinder face of my Ruger GP-100 stainless revolver. It may take off the surface stuff, but don't count on it to get down in the pores of the metal. I can still see a darkening around each chamber where the stainless is darker than the rest of the cylinder. And that's after repeated soak-scrub-soak-scrub. That was disappointing considering the cost of this product. I suppose how happy you are with the product depends on your expectations going in.

08-17-2010, 6:34 AM
I use the bore gel and it works great but that's not something that you reuse. I clean the rest with Gunscrubber or CLP. If you're talking about getting enough for a dip tank and reusing it that way I don't see why you couldn't use it until it gets nasty but I haven't tried it. To be honest I've been wondering how well it would work in an ultrasonic cleaner.

08-17-2010, 7:28 AM
i uses m pro 7 oil on all my guns for lube only,for cleaning i use breakfree clp...

08-17-2010, 8:38 AM
I use MPro7 all the time. Before kids, I would use Shooter's Choice or some of the stronger solvents, but back then I didn't mind killing off thousands of my brain cells with one cleaning. I wasn't really using those brain cells anyways.

With kids, and the loss of their brain cells, I am concerned that it might impede their fancy book lurning dey do at school, so I have moved over to MPro7. I primarily shoot American Eagle, S&B, and UMC, all of which leave my firearms fairly clean anyways. Mpro7 does a sufficient job, certainly doesn't feel as toxic as other solvents. My head isn't spinning when I am done ;).

Unlike CLP, this has no lube properties whatsoever, and will leave your firearm quite dry. So you will need CLP or equivalent afterwards.

08-17-2010, 8:44 AM
MPro 7 to clean, CLP to lube, good to go. Non-toxic is always a better way to go. I plan on living long enough to be buying Barrett M82's as C&R surplus one day.

Pvt. Cowboy
08-17-2010, 2:12 PM
if it's the same non-toxic solvent that comes in the little spray bottles, i've tried it. It's alright, seems to work better on smooth and shiny metal rather than finished surfaces. Smells very faintly like windex.

That's the MPro 7 cleaner that will soften painted surfaces, so beware if you have a gun that's finished in paint (DuraCoat, some domestic AKs, etc.)

08-17-2010, 5:12 PM
Works well for me.

08-17-2010, 6:44 PM
Mobil 1 for lube, butch's bore shine for cleaning.

08-17-2010, 6:45 PM
Been using it for years doing my cleaning in the computer room. If I break out the Hoppes I have to go clean outside in the patio because it really affects my wife breathing.

08-17-2010, 6:52 PM
I'm a closet MPro-7 user.