PDA

View Full Version : Legal VS Illegal Saiga conversions question

mikemaccham
08-16-2010, 9:33 PM
So does anyone know the legal and illegal conversions and rules for a Saiga without a bullet button? I know know pistol grip, forward grip and 5 American made parts but are there other rules as far as not having a bullet button, I don't know if there is a different type of button but the one I used today sucked.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Your answer lies here (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf).

The Reader's Digest version:

In order not to require a magazine lock, the rifle would have to be configured in one of the following ways:

1. Unconverted. No pistol grip + no other "evil features" = no magazine lock needed + use of >10 round, legally possessed magazines.

2. Converted + magazine lock. Pistol grip + any "evil features" desired = magazine lock required, no magazines >10 rounds can be inserted.

3. Converted + "featureless". Pistol grip replaced by Monsterman Grip or enclosed in Solar Tactical "grip wrap", eliminating ability to place thumb around grip + no "evil features" = no magazine lock required + use of >10 round, legally possessed magazines.

There are more than one variety of magazine lock available for AK rifles. Shop around, you may find one that works for you. Otherwise, "featureless" is your only other option.

sandwich
08-17-2010, 1:15 AM
Note that Saiga shotgun is different from Saiga rifle when it comes to AW laws. You'll need bullet button for any shotgun Saiga's. See the flow chart linked above this page (any forum page).

SJgunguy24
08-17-2010, 8:57 AM
So does anyone know the legal and illegal conversions and rules for a Saiga without a bullet button? I know know pistol grip, forward grip and 5 American made parts but are there other rules as far as not having a bullet button, I don't know if there is a different type of button but the one I used today sucked.

Saiga rifles only need 4 parts changed out to comply with 922r. If you want the PG or any other AW feature then you really have 2 choices, comply and use the sucky mag lock, or don't and play Russian roulette with your life. 10 years in prison is not something I would want to mess with.

mikemaccham
08-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Ya im not planning on it, thats why i'm asking. Thanks guys! i'll check that link. So a light, scope and trigger work (5 pound pull) is ok, just no pistol grips or large mags.

mikemaccham
08-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Whats American Arms: AK-C 47, AK-F 47?