PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever skeletonized a pistol?

armedoffroader
08-15-2010, 8:33 PM
I'm fascinated with the look of these pistols and wouldn't mind trying to do one myself. I'm well versed in the operation of and have access to just about every type of industrial machine, so it wouldn't seem all that complicated in terms of cutting and deburring the windows. I'd like to hear from someone with experience on this please as to what to do/not do and what I could expect from the end result, thanks.

Rob454
08-15-2010, 9:48 PM
No but ive always wanted to. I jsut dont know how skeletonizing the pistol would weaken the frame or slide.

Seesm
08-15-2010, 9:50 PM
What pistol a ar pistol? I have done a little of that on a ar pistol....

Alaric
08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Yeah we really need a specific make/model if possible.

Skeletonizing a 1911 is far different than say a Makarov.

elsolo
08-15-2010, 10:56 PM
It's about reducing the mass of reciprocating parts (slide) to change the operating characteristics (cycle time, recoil), not just trimming off excess material from wherever you can to make the pistol lighter.

It's easier to mill off material than put it back on.

armedoffroader
08-16-2010, 7:10 AM
Yeah we really need a specific make/model if possible.

Skeletonizing a 1911 is far different than say a Makarov.

OK, as an example let's say one were to do just that, skeletonize a Makarov and a 1911. What would be done on both of these?

armedoffroader
08-16-2010, 7:34 PM
Noone knows anything about doing this?

Rob454
08-16-2010, 7:40 PM
Well first i would say you need access to a mill/lathe machine or some very sharp precise drill bits and a decent drill motor and some careful drilling or milling .

Colt-45
08-16-2010, 8:22 PM
:useless:

bruceflinch
08-16-2010, 9:08 PM
Except for say a Desert Eagle, why would you want to lighten a Pistol?

For CCW, there are lighter pistols available.

Is this just a "tacticool" thing?

POLICESTATE
08-16-2010, 9:11 PM

:thumbsup:

ojisan
08-16-2010, 9:21 PM
OK, as an example let's say one were to do just that, skeletonize a Makarov and a 1911. What would be done on both of these?

On the Mak you would not remove material from the slide as the slide weight in a blowback action is critical to keeping the breech closed the correct amount of time.
You could lighten up the grip area of the frame, but I would not remove any material from the slide rails or breech area that would weaken these areas.

When building a race gun style 1911, usually a steel (heavy) compensator / muzzle break is added to the barrel.
This increases the weight of the barrel and slide when they are in lockup.
This additional weight can cause failure to function because there is not enough energy to move the heavier parts far enough rearward under recoil.
So, either the slide gets lightened (to keep the moving parts weight the same as before) or the recoil spring gets softened to insure functioning....sometimes both are required.

Making a pretty race gun is not hard...making one that functions is.

elsolo
08-16-2010, 11:50 PM
It's popular on limited guns as well as open.

Less mass in slide, slide moves faster in both directions which reduces the cycle time, it also causes less of a disturbance to the frame when the slide suddenly changes direction or stops moving.

gotime
08-17-2010, 5:38 PM

bluestaterebel
08-18-2010, 12:26 AM

dr_communist
08-18-2010, 2:26 AM