PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 Nagants?

Charliegone
05-02-2006, 8:28 PM
Well, I've been contemplating getting a Mosin Nagant from Big 5, question I have. Are they good? What I mean is like is it shootable, shinny bore, what can I expect (cons and pros)...please let me in on some info.:D

Mosin Addict
05-02-2006, 9:05 PM
Pros: hand pick. I have picked up plenty of MO, ex-snipers and ex-dragoons.

Cons: DROS fee of $25. However, you can buy up to 5 rifles at same time under one record

Mssr. Eleganté
05-02-2006, 9:09 PM
What import mark do the current crop of Big 5 Mosin Nagants have?

Is it the dreaded Century "billboard"?

socalguns
05-02-2006, 9:19 PM
Please stop spreading misinformation.
There is no limit to how many rifles you can buy.

Mosin Addict
05-02-2006, 9:23 PM
Is it the dreaded Century "billboard"?[/QUOTE]

unfortunately, yes...

superhondaz50
05-02-2006, 9:49 PM
I bought a m44 from them for $59 bucks. Nice shiny bore, perfect blueing, and its fun to shoot. to bad it doesnt have matching numbers.

EBWhite
05-02-2006, 9:52 PM
I got an m44 for 79 bucks plus dros/tax. Great blueing, good bore, 1950's polish make. VERY accurate and matching #'s...im happy.

if i knew now, id prob go with a mosin 91 since its older and more historically significant.

Mosin Addict
05-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Please stop spreading misinformation.
There is no limit to how many rifles you can buy.

???

OK, I'll clarify:
DROS fee of $25. However, you can buy up to 5 rifles under one DROS

I consider ALL costs (DROS, tax, shipping, etc.) on my purchases.

So if I buy a rifle for $80 and then add a single DROS it will cost me $105 plus tax.
Or...five at 80 plus DROS to have a cost of $85 per rifle plus tax.

NagantHunter
05-02-2006, 10:03 PM
My advice here, find a list of Big 5's in your area, and GO TO THEM. I have found that they'll all have very different quality C&R rifles, but they're all the same price.

kenc9
05-02-2006, 10:21 PM
My advice here, find a list of Big 5's in your area, and GO TO THEM. I have found that they'll all have very different quality C&R rifles, but they're all the same price.

I had my local Big5 get all of them out of the back, lay them all out and went over each rifle. This is what that can get you for $79.99

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/kenc9/1930IzzyFull.jpg

Mssr. Eleganté
05-02-2006, 10:31 PM
???

OK, I'll clarify:
DROS fee of $25. However, you can buy up to 5 rifles under one DROS

What Socalguns meant was that there is no limit to the number of long guns you can purchase on one DROS. Legally, you can purchase every long gun at the Big 5 store for one DROS fee. Some dealers make up their own limit for some reason. Maybe Big 5 has a company policy of only doing 5 guns per DROS. Some dealers think you can only transfer the number of guns that the federal Form 4473 has spaces for, but they are incorrect. Socalguns is just trying to help put an end to this kind of misinformation.

glen avon
05-03-2006, 7:27 AM
for a shooter, as most of these are, bore is everything. fortunately, Big5 employees seem to be very understanding when selling guns. bring a cleaning rod and punch the bores if need be. if the metal and wood are sound, everything else is aesthetics.

where in so cal are you? what are you interested in? there is much to know about mosins, and if my limited knowledge would help, I would be glad to be of any assistance.

MrTuffPaws
05-03-2006, 9:13 AM
I picked up a M44, made in 1945, for $79 + DROS. The gun is an arsenal refinish but is in excellent condition.

When you buy one, take a look at the one they have for display. That will give you an idea of the general condition of the ones in the back.

If you like what you see, then ask to see a rifle from the back. Make sure that you have old clothes on, because you are going to get cosmoline on you.

Check the muzzle and see if it is shot out. Drop a 30 call bullet down the end and make sure it does not go in too far. Some of the 38s have been countered bored, so keep an eye out for that.

Next, take a look at the rifling. To do so, you will most likely have to run a patch down the barrel. At the time I bought mine, I did not have a cleaning kit with me, but I got lucky and got a pristine bore.

Last, check the trigger. Some of them are over 20lbs and others are a bit heavy but smooth as silk.

All in all, the MN is the best bang for the buck out here IMO, and everyone should have one, or two.

socalguns
05-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Make sure that you have old clothes on, because you are going to get cosmoline on you.
Only if you hum^Bg the rifle :p

Charliegone
05-03-2006, 5:28 PM
Welp, I'm convinced. I think will ask my cousin to come with me to check them out at the Big 5 in Upland.:D

glen avon
05-03-2006, 5:46 PM
be prepared to visit several stores.

Charliegone
05-03-2006, 6:35 PM
be prepared to visit several stores.

Yeah, I'll probably visit that one first though. Closer.:D

socalguns
05-03-2006, 10:30 PM
What I like to do when I'm serious about shopping
is call around and see how many of the rifle I'm interested in
they have in stock. A store with 10 beats a store with 2 :D

MasterChief
05-11-2006, 5:54 PM
Refurb, all matching including bayonet, with accessories. "Tania" (Sorry about the sling, long since corrected). Best wishes. Dave
http://www.fototime.com/84AE0C518446E65/standard.jpg

NoTime2Shoot
05-13-2006, 1:39 PM
I just DROS'd a 1945 M44 Russian model. They had an M91, but I didn't like the condition of the bore.