PDA

View Full Version : Did a new gun law go into effect on July 1st?

Greg F.
08-15-2010, 3:02 PM
I was at Bain & Davis yesterday and they told me their was a new law regarding consignment guns that went into effect on July 1st. They said that consignment guns now have to be dros'ed into the DOJ system and can't be registered to a customer for 30 days. This is the same way Turners has been doing things for years. It used to be B&D treated consignment guns like PPT's and they didn't apply to the 1 in 30 gun rule. B&D also raised their commission on consignment guns from 25% to 27.5%. I thought they were too high before but now I definitely won't be selling any more guns at their store. So does anyone know if this is some new law I haven't heard about or has B&D been selling consignment guns wrong all these years?

Chris J
08-15-2010, 6:10 PM
I don't know if it is really the law, but those were the terms I had to agree to when I dropped off a consignment at a local shop last week. I assumed it was a real requirement, since they have always seems knowledgable and honest in the past. BTW, it was a C&R-qualified long gun.

SunkenShadow
08-15-2010, 10:12 PM
This isn't a new thing. It's been standard policy for awhile.

plan-b
08-15-2010, 10:16 PM
May have been policy for some shops before, but it's law now. A couple of the local shops I frequent now have "release dates" for consignment & used guns. They didn't before. If a dealer takes in a gun for consignment or if they pay out for a used gun to flip, they now have to hold it 30 days before it can be DROSed to a new owner. I'm sitting on a used FNP 9 that can't start paperwork until September.

Greg F.
08-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Does this law apply to FTF PPT's or just consignment guns sold thru a gun shop? Does this law apply to both hand guns and long guns or just hand guns? I wonder how this new law will affect Jeff at Gunslingers auction next month? Will people have to wait 30 days before they can register their purchases? Will people who buy more than one gun at the auction be able to register all of them at once or only 1 every 30 days? Hopefully SVT-40 will see this & respond or maybe I should PM him. Of course if anyone else knows the answers please chime in as well. Sorry for so many questions.

redcliff
08-16-2010, 7:44 AM
It does not apply to ftf PPT's. It applies to all firearms I believe, not just handguns as a local dealer has a rifle on consignment I'm interested in but I have to wait tilll September to do the paperwork on it due to the 30 day hold.

I was able to put a deposit down on a consignment revolver thats on the 30 day hold, I just can't dros it till September 1st.

Soldier415
08-16-2010, 8:18 AM
Would be interested to see something about this in writing. What bill that passed contained these new requirements?