PDA

View Full Version : I've got two n00bish questions...

James R.
05-02-2006, 8:00 PM
First question...if we are resigned to operate these rifles as fixed magazine affairs, what sort of lifespan / durability should one expect from the lower and upper receiver if we're constantly removing and re-inserting a take down pin which was never really designed to be removed every 10 shots? Does the pin hole start to develop play which in turn causes the upper and lower to no longer be tightly held together?

I've never owned an AR, so I don't have much experience with how much force is involved in removing those pins, or how tightly they're held.

The other Q, can I just give one of these lowers to my father? It's a long gun, once the DROS period is over the SN is not supposed to be retained by the state right? I suppose the FFL has the SN on file, but I was under the impression (possibly false) that one could simply give a firearm to a direct descendant? I.E. Father to Son, Mother to Son, Father to Daughter & Mother to Daughter, but not Brother to Sister etc.

Or are you still required to file a private party transfer? I guess in the end how would the DOJ even know that you hadn't done a proper transfer if records are not retained by the state for ownership of long guns?

Regards,

James R.

ohsmily
05-02-2006, 8:09 PM
Yes, you can give one to your father.

Don't worry about the pin wearing out....it would take ALOT. And you can always order or custom machine an oversize pin if the holes got worn too large.

Jeff Rambo
05-02-2006, 8:12 PM
Yes, you can give one to your father.

Just to expand... if these get listed/classified as assault weapons, that will then no longer be the case. So get it done sooner rather than later.

ohsmily
05-02-2006, 8:14 PM
Just to expand... if these get listed/classified as assault weapons, that will then no longer be the case. So get it done sooner rather than later.

I thought about mentioning that, but I am not optimistic about the list and I don't want to perpetuate the possibly false hope in others.

But, it is good that you pointed it out.

Jeff Rambo
05-02-2006, 8:17 PM
Notice I did preface with "if." ;)

James R.
05-02-2006, 8:24 PM
Even then, I can simply hand him the lower and say, "here dad...register this lower in your name".

In fact, I don't really want to give up any of my lowers, I'm greedy like that ;-) But I told him that if they listed and he didn't have one in his hands by then I'd be inclined to give him one if he actually wanted it because at that point he'd have ZERO options for getting a lower and I certainly wouldn't leave my own father out in the cold so to speak.

We'll have to see how things work out, maybe I'll just order another receiver and give it to him for fathers day. I only wish I had considered this when I bought my two DoubleStars (which I picked up today BTW :D ) since all 3 would have been on the same $25 DROS and the transfers were $45 for the first and $15 for each additional firearm.

Regards,

James R.

Jeff Rambo
05-02-2006, 8:30 PM
Even then, I can simply hand him the lower and say, "here dad...register this lower in your name".

In their current state, yes... this is correct. But if they get listed and are then classified as assault weapons, you can no longer transfer it or sell it to anyone within the state of California. You would only be able to sell, give, or transfer it to someone outside of CA. This is why I said do it sooner rather than later. Or simply buy another lower for yourself and then give him one that you already have possession of.

leelaw
05-02-2006, 8:39 PM

You could, but this is also openly suggesting committing a crime.

I'd give it to him beforehand, and if he ends up getting one by the deadline, take it back.

James R.
05-02-2006, 8:44 PM
Suggestion is merely that, it implies no action has taken place. It would be pretty tough to prove when you gave something to someone, esp when it comes to handing something to someone in the privacy of his or her home.

Anyhow, I hear where you're coming from. This one ranks up there with say having an unregistered rifle and taking it out of state Vs giving it up, illegal yes...immoral no. I'd certainly never criticize someone for it...

Regards,

R. Semaj ;-)

leelaw
05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Anyhow, I hear where you're coming from. This one ranks up there with say having an unregistered rifle and taking it out of state Vs giving it up, illegal yes...immoral no. I'd certainly never criticize someone for it...

Quite a different situation. If you had an unregistered AW, you were given several options to remain legal during the registration amnesty period:

1. Register it.

2. Sell it.

3. Destroy it.

4. Remove it from the state.

Giving a declared AW (we're talking about the lowers, should they be added to the list) to a direct relative within the state is illegal...

CYA and give it to him now, and if he ends up getting one before they're listed, have him give it back to you.

If he doesn't get one before they're listed, then he now has the one you were suggesting illegally giving to him after the fact, however you've done it totally legally.

I wouldn't suggest doing something illegal on such a sensitive topic as this, on a board known to be viewed by the DOJ, so think ahead and cover your bases and do it legally. I would hate to see anyone get screwed over something as simple as when they transferred a firearm to a loved one when it could have easily been avoided.

James R.
05-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah no worries, I'm not doing anything fishy...

As to the assault weapons thing. I'm not saying I was party to this, but someone might have been toiling away in college so they could make a bigger wage in order to pay more taxes to their government when their previously perfectly legal post ban thumbhole stocked SLR-95 was banned by SB23. Someone might say possibly later have found out that while they were off studying in college their previously legal rifle turned into a pumpkin.

SB23 was well advertised IF you were shooting frequently or going in and out of target ranges and the like. If you were out of the scene it could have easily passed you by leaving one in a most undesirable state of affairs. You're faced with one, and only one truly legal option...arrange to hand over w/o just compensation something your constitution asserts you have an unalienable right to own. Kinda *****ty if you think about it...

I heard of a scenario like the one above and it's a real bummer...I'm sure you can empathize?

All my gear is on the up and up, I registered my 50 BMG more than a year in advance of the requirement...simply not worth being caught and stripped of all your guns because one of your toys is non compliant.

Regards,

James R.

accordingtoome
05-03-2006, 2:51 AM
Noob rymes with BooB! hahahahaaa.. :D