PDA

View Full Version : Ordered online 10 day wait period

HuangYiChao
08-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Calgunners,

I purchased a Noveske from a reputable online source on the 6th. Later that same day I went to my FFL of choice to have them send in their FFL information to the online source. They charged me money for DROS and gun transfer. Would be 10 day wait period start when the FFL charged me for the DROS, when the rifle is shipped, or when the FFL receives the rifle. I looked it up and it wasn't really clear.

Thanks guys! :D

kemasa
08-15-2010, 12:26 PM
The 10 days start from when the DROS is submitted. It could be that they charged you in advance for the fee, but did not submit it.

mebejets
08-15-2010, 1:12 PM
probably depends on ffl but beings that long gun serial numbers ARE NOT logged i believe the dros could be started prior to recieving gun at store.

kemasa
08-15-2010, 1:18 PM
While some FFLs do submit the DROS before the firearm arrives, the key question is whether the DROS was submitted or just paid for.

HuangYiChao
08-15-2010, 2:12 PM
I hope it is already submitted then. That way I can pick it up on the 17th with it arrives! :D

IrishPirate
08-15-2010, 2:15 PM
they can submit the DROS once they have the serial number for the gun. Not all of them do that, and it's not always a good idea since something could be wrong with the gun, and they might have to send it back, OR, a different gun could end up getting shipped on accident. It's safest to wait until it's in their hands before you DROS, but i've started one when they got the numbers before. Just make sure they know what they are doing first and aren't just some yahoos with an FFL.

HuangYiChao
08-15-2010, 4:24 PM
^ Got it. Thanks guys for the help :)

TripleT
08-15-2010, 10:39 PM
If they had you fill out a dros worksheet and swiped your CDL they likely submitted the dros, if not,,, well it's likely not submitted and your ten day has not started.

HuangYiChao
08-15-2010, 10:48 PM
If they had you fill out a dros worksheet and swiped your CDL they likely submitted the dros, if not,,, well it's likely not submitted and your ten day has not started.

You know what I feel stupid now. I havn't bought a firearm in so long I forgot about that DROS worksheet I had to fill out. I guess the earliest I can pick her up is on the 27th then :( btw if rifles don't have to be registered then why do they need the serial number?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-15-2010, 10:57 PM
...btw if rifles don't have to be registered then why do they need the serial number?

They don't need the serial number to start the DROS on a long gun. The previous poster was probably confused and thinking about DROSing a handgun.

HuangYiChao
08-15-2010, 11:34 PM
They don't need the serial number to start the DROS on a long gun. The previous poster was probably confused and thinking about DROSing a handgun.

Thanks for clarifying that. So theoretically could I order a rifle and have the FFL do the DROS that very same day and say it takes 10 days for the rifle to get to them, I can pick it up that day when it arrives?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-16-2010, 1:09 AM
Thanks for clarifying that. So theoretically could I order a rifle and have the FFL do the DROS that very same day and say it takes 10 days for the rifle to get to them, I can pick it up that day when it arrives?

There's no law against it. Some FFLs have done it for me. One FFL will even start the DROS once he gets the serial number of a handgun emailed to him by his distributor. But I've heard that CalDOJ employees often tell FFLs not to do it. So don't be surprised if your local FFL won't do it.

There have also been cases where the correct firearm did not arrive within the 30 days that the DROS was good for. The seller might send the wrong gun or the gun might arrive with damage, and then the replacement gun doesn't show up in time. Then the buyer needs to start another DROS and pay another $25. Some buyers expect the transfer FFL to eat this cost even though it is not the transfer dealer's fault. So many dealers want the buyer to actually inspect the firearm in person before they will start the DROS.

tenpercentfirearms
08-16-2010, 5:33 AM
Some buyers expect the transfer FFL to eat this cost even though it is not the transfer dealer's fault. So many dealers want the buyer to actually inspect the firearm in person before they will start the DROS.

If a transfer dealer does not expressly state to the buyer that they will start the 30 day window without the gun being present, but the buyer will be responsible for the $25 if the gun does not arrive in time, then they deserve to lose the $25. I'll start a long gun DROS for you at anytime, it is your $25.

kemasa
08-16-2010, 11:01 AM
If the DROS was submitted, you would have had to sign it and put your thumbprint on the back, so you should know if it was submitted. I suspect that the FFL just wants to make sure that they don't get stiffed for the fee, like I was when I received a firearm that I had to ship back, so I did not get anything for all the time and trouble.