PDA

View Full Version : Buddy of mine moving to CA... he's bringing handguns

JamesY
05-02-2006, 4:43 PM
I got a buddy moving in from out of state. What forms must he fill out in order to register his handguns? I went into a police station on my way home the other day and they said I can get the forms from a gun shop... Is this right?

Guns R Tools
05-02-2006, 4:53 PM
Your buddy can buy handguns that is not on the list of CA DOJ and bring it in. And your buddy can make private party transfer to anyone in CA.
Maybe you should ask your buddy if he is willing to bring some guns into CA from free state for you or your freinds or family members.

Just a thought.

glen avon
05-02-2006, 4:55 PM
Your buddy can buy handguns that is not on the list of CA DOJ and bring it in. And your buddy can make private party transfer to anyone in CA.
Maybe you should ask your buddy if he is willing to bring some guns into CA from free state for you or your freinds or family members.

Just a thought.

my thought too. kel tec P3ATs and the like. he could make some money and some friends.

socalguns
05-02-2006, 4:55 PM
go to http://ag.ca.gov/firearms
and find the FAQ, its in there
or google it for new resident

linuxgunner
05-02-2006, 5:44 PM
Yeah, your buddy could pay for his move to California by buying just the right high-demand low-availability guns here. He would have to go through FFLs to sell them here, and he couldn't be doing it "as a business". It could be an investment though. He certainly wouldn't want to bring in a dozen of the same kind of gun, but it would probably be fine to bring in one 10mm Delta Elite, one Steyr M40, one Seecamp 380, etc.

gose
05-02-2006, 5:58 PM
some nice 1911s and some SIG 210s for me please :)

EvolutionGSR
05-02-2006, 6:55 PM
Actually, I would see if he could bring in some 1911 frames from various companies.

MaxQ
05-02-2006, 7:04 PM
Oooh, you can put me on the list for a couple Cobray/Leinad PM11s.:D :D

ohsmily
05-02-2006, 7:05 PM
Actually, I would see if he could bring in some 1911 frames from various companies.

+1 There would be a great market for high end 1911 frames, w/ and w/o rails.

dwtt
05-02-2006, 7:38 PM
Would your buddy be a fan of the Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm? If not, I would buy any such pistol he might happen to bring into CA, just to help him free up space in his safe. let me know.

harley66
05-02-2006, 8:11 PM
OK, here is the answer to your question... the form can be downloaded on the web, you do NOT need to go to any gun store... its right here.. $19 per handgun.. enjoy.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

JamesY
05-02-2006, 8:49 PM
OK, here is the answer to your question... the form can be downloaded on the web, you do NOT need to go to any gun store... its right here.. $19 per handgun.. enjoy.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for.

OK, well I told my friend about buying stuff not on the approved list. If he does a transfer, does he have to have his CA ID in order to transfer them to another party? Or does he have to wait until he gets his new CA ID before transfering?

Also, he was wondering what the "popular" things are that people in CA might want (specific 1911 frames, etc.). I suggest that he buy ONLY what he knows he can sell in order to not get burned. If I were him, I'd just buy it. If nobody wants it, then more stuff to shoot. :D

PanzerAce
05-02-2006, 9:00 PM
actually, the stuff that he should bring in is STI 2011 frames, since thats what all the race shooters use, and you cant get them in CA...Hell, I know of atleast one guy who would snap some up from him.

ohsmily
05-02-2006, 9:19 PM
Where in CA is your friend moving to? Thank you.

EBWhite
05-02-2006, 9:47 PM
how about some offlist pistol lowers and!!!! a bond arms derringer

dwtt
05-03-2006, 7:55 PM
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for.

OK, well I told my friend about buying stuff not on the approved list. If he does a transfer, does he have to have his CA ID in order to transfer them to another party? Or does he have to wait until he gets his new CA ID before transfering?

Also, he was wondering what the "popular" things are that people in CA might want (specific 1911 frames, etc.). I suggest that he buy ONLY what he knows he can sell in order to not get burned. If I were him, I'd just buy it. If nobody wants it, then more stuff to shoot. :D

Your friend has to wait until he has his new CA ID to do a private party transfer. All transfers have to go through a dealer with both the seller and buyer present. As for desirable guns, the Kel-tec pistols like the PF-9 are not on the CA list. Also, competitive shooters would buy any STI frame he might want to sell. I personally like the Dan Wesson Razorback, but I've said that already. :D

chunger
05-03-2006, 9:45 PM
There's never a shortage of demand for various items in California. He could buy himself some of these:

STI frames
SVI frames
Caspian frames
kimber warrior

If at any point after he moves to California he should decide not to need them for his personal use, he should have no problem transferring all of them in a short timeframe.

linuxgunner
05-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he could double the price on any top-quality 1911 frames he brings in. That's a good suggestion. A Sig 210 is also a great idea.

SNEAKS
09-24-2007, 3:01 PM
:hurray: 1911 frames:hurray::Ivan:

Tweak338
09-24-2007, 3:15 PM
Good Job on bringing a 4 month old thread back to life..

G17GUY
09-24-2007, 3:17 PM
:hurray: 1911 frames:hurray::Ivan:

http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/dumbass_1.jpg

http://www.essexarms.com/index.htm

monkey
09-24-2007, 8:54 PM
Before either you or your friend go too crazy, understand that it's a federal felony for an unlicensed individual to buy firearms with the intent of immediate resale. What is being suggested is illegal.

While there's nothing wrong with deciding you don't want to keep the gun you just bought, buying it specifically for importation and resale, as in the scenario here, is highly illegal. The more recently you bought it, the more profit you make, the harder it becomes to explain the sale as being legal.

The difference between what is being suggested and simple buyer's remorse is intent at the time of purchase. And this thread as evidence does not exactly establish legal intent.

Be very careful.

ke6guj
09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Good Job on bringing a 4 month old thread back to life..

It was actually a 16 month old thread:rolleyes: