PDA

View Full Version : laws against shooting at night?

stylett9
08-14-2010, 10:30 PM
is there any laws against shooting at night out in the desert/unincorporated areas?

thanks,

shoupdawg
08-15-2010, 12:01 AM
I would say the law of don't aim at something that you can't see. But check with your local law enforcement.

5shot
08-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Basically in San Bernardino Co., if you stay north or 40 & 58, all areas are open to rifle/pistol/shotgun & night shooting.
The exceptions are military bases, incorporated cities, Mojave Natl Preserve (hunting only), private property, Camp Cady, and Death Valley Natl. Park.
But if you go east of Helendale there are areas south of the 58 and 40 that are rifle & night shooting areas.

Information about getting the new SBCo shooting map will be updated here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=302534

packnrat
08-15-2010, 1:40 AM
it comes down to the old saying...if you can not see it do not shoot it.
know your back stop.
are you shooting were others might be? do you want to find out the hard way?

thing about this and then thing again. how safe is it to shoot at night in the dark? can you id your target...can you even see it??
i have no problem training for a night shoot...but think safety first, second, and always.

then look into if even legal to shoot there day or night.

:TFH:

Nodda Duma
08-15-2010, 7:55 AM
Buddy wanted to do some low light run and gun at the local range and found out there were no real issues.

Don't use IR scopes or night vision scopes which are attached to your rifle.

Purple K
08-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Night vision devices are legal to attach to your firearm as long as they offer NO magnification.

cmth
08-15-2010, 4:23 PM
Night vision devices are legal to attach to your firearm as long as they offer NO illumination.

Fixed it for you. You can use an IR spotlight off the weapon, but the scope itself cannot produce any illumination. Magnification is A-OK, and preferred.

Nodda Duma
08-15-2010, 8:06 PM
Ah yes thanks for clarification. Must have no active IR source

Rule .308
08-15-2010, 8:39 PM
No night shooting in Riverside Co. No night vision equipment allowed on your gun when hunting.

stylett9
08-15-2010, 10:02 PM
thanks for the useful information gentlemen. Of course safety would come first, my friend and I were just wondering if there's any laws against shooting in the evening, especially related to the time of evening. We had this crazy idea to go shooting late last night around 1 AM but we decided not to.

thanks again!

shooting4life
08-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I have done it before. I know the backstop when doing it. Can be pretty fun of you get a flame thrower like a pistol shooting 30 carbine.

Purple K
08-17-2010, 6:07 AM
Oops! Thanks for fixing my memory.