PDA

View Full Version : Indoor ranges that allow rifle calibers in northern california?

Gundam
08-14-2010, 4:38 PM
Do such places exist? I have a 7.5" AR pistol on the way and I want to see what the big fuss is about shooting them indoors. I'd also love to try shooting my Beowulf build indoors (yes I know, I'm probably dreaming on that one).

While we are on the topic of ranges....are there any that allow drawing from holsters or rapid fire (indoor or outdoor). Elk Grove Gun Room used to allow this, but have ended this practice because it was too problematic.

BTW I'm from the Sacramento area, but do drive out to the bay area every once in awhile.

Wicked Pete
08-14-2010, 5:25 PM
Most ranges have rules, duh. There are a couple outdoor ranges that have no range master; one is near Beale AFB; never been there. The other is Oroville, it's near the airport off at Oro Dam Blvd.

At the Richmond Rod and Gun Club, they have an IPSC area that allows rapid fire and courses, there is an Eligibility Process.

I would just drive the (1 hr +) to Oroville, get there early.

Gundam
08-14-2010, 5:39 PM
Most ranges have rules, duh. There are a couple outdoor ranges that have no range master; one is near Beale AFB; never been there. The other is Oroville, it's near the airport off at Oro Dam Blvd.

At the Richmond Rod and Gun Club, they have an IPSC area that allows rapid fire and courses, there is an Eligibility Process.

I would just drive the (1 hr +) to Oroville, get there early.

I'm a bit apprehensive about going to a range with no rangemaster. If it's out in the desert and you're the only person around, that's a different story. Having no rangemaster just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Now are these places actual ranges with lanes but no rangemaster? Or are they just areas that you're allowed to shoot at?

BigDogatPlay
08-14-2010, 10:29 PM
The Clay Pit near Oroville is owned by DFG and is patrolled off and on by rangers from State Parks. It is only semi-formal but is really just a large open area that allows shooting. It's a lot like desert shooting.

I would presume that any indoor range that allowed centerfire rifle would almost certainly require frangible ammo.

Gundam
08-14-2010, 10:45 PM
The Clay Pit near Oroville is owned by DFG and is patrolled off and on by rangers from State Parks. It is only semi-formal but is really just a large open area that allows shooting. It's a lot like desert shooting.

I would presume that any indoor range that allowed centerfire rifle would almost certainly require frangible ammo.

Are you allowed to bring targets that aren't paper as long as you clean up your mess?

Wicked Pete
08-15-2010, 8:08 AM
I'm a bit apprehensive about going to a range with no rangemaster. If it's out in the desert and you're the only person around, that's a different story. Having no rangemaster just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Now are these places actual ranges with lanes but no rangemaster? Or are they just areas that you're allowed to shoot at?

Yes, it can get scary at Oroville. The time I was there it was very crowded. Some guys were playing music real loud and it looked like they were drinking and smoking pot. But what are you going to do, ask them to stop? They have guns!

There are more people who would like to pay for the safety and control of a private range. But you usually can't rapid fire.

Oroville has incremental "berms" and a last one that is a "long shot". There are concrete picnic tables (for the shooters) and a restroom. Shooters will yell and put up their hands to indicate a CLEAR, when checking or placing new targets. The friend I went with - carries a pistol, "in case he needs it".

My gripe is that people bring "crap" to shoot up and then don't clean it up; I hate it when they shoot glass bottles....yunno?

By the way, Oroville does have medical care near by!

nikonuser
08-15-2010, 8:35 AM
I have shot my AR at Vacaville Bait and Gun store off I-80. No rapid fire or drawing from holster allowed for pistol. Nice range and they have a store above the range if you want to shop for supplies afterwards.

rrr70
08-15-2010, 8:37 AM
Jackson Arms used to. Until some half brain cell moronic idiot shot up their backstop with steel core ammo.

windrunner50
08-15-2010, 6:17 PM
It depends on how the range is constructed,especially the backstop. I have not seen to many indoor ranges with genuine rifle caliber rated backstops. It may also be based on policy, and other range construction ie...target carrier/track systems.:D

zcktomcat
08-15-2010, 8:03 PM
Yeah Guns Fishing and Stuff out in vacaville lets you fire rifles there. I think you can even rent a M1A there.

Gundam
08-15-2010, 8:06 PM
Yeah Guns Fishing and Stuff out in vacaville lets you fire rifles there. I think you can even rent a M1A there.

That's awesome. I've been to their storefront, but didn't go down into the range. Had no idea they allowed rifles. I'm picking up a PPT shotgun there soon, maybe I'll bring my rifle along as well.

2Bear
08-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Jackson Arms used to. Until some half brain cell moronic idiot shot up their backstop with steel core ammo.

I fired my .223 at Jackson Arms a few months ago. They did first check my ammo with a magnet though.

BALDANDTOPLESS
08-18-2010, 6:21 PM
I was lucky enough to be able to shoot my beowulf at jackson arms before the damage was done. I was courteous though and only shot 20 rounds before I switched off to the lighter rounds.

norcal.xd
08-18-2010, 6:30 PM
so is jackson arms for sure not allowing .223 anymore?

2Bear
08-18-2010, 8:35 PM
Seems I was there prior to this current dealio. Apparently the rifle range is closed, or at least closed to .223 and up.

BALDANDTOPLESS
08-18-2010, 9:12 PM
so is jackson arms for sure not allowing .223 anymore?

Just call ahead... Who knows you might catch them in a good mood.

sa810
08-19-2010, 2:08 AM
Rifle range still closed at Jackson Arms as of last week when I was there. Going to be a long time before it is fixed is the feeling I get when I asked about it. I don't think they currently have the money to fix it. Pistol range still open.

norcal.xd
08-19-2010, 9:08 AM
i have never been there cuz i go to a outdoor range up foothill rd....it just sux cuz i live in palo alto off of 101 so its not far from me.....if they ever do accept center fire rifles again then ill check them out......

BALDANDTOPLESS
08-19-2010, 9:21 AM
Why not just go to los altos? Indoor shooting is too short of a distance. I think jackson arms was only 35 yards. I only shot my rifles there to test them fresh from jail since its only a half mile down my work

norcal.xd
08-19-2010, 9:38 AM
my problem with outdoor ranges is that i cant focus at 100 + yards with iron sights....(i wear glasses, not really big ones, but i do wear a pair) i guess i need to get a scope or something....

Colt-45
08-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Just call ahead... Who knows you might catch them in a good mood.

+1, you never know.:D