PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Not Working After Windows Upgrade

Edge
08-14-2010, 1:43 PM
Wondering if anyone here can help.

I did a long delayed Windows upgrade the other day, it had been over a year, and now, coincidentally(?), I'm getting a Code 10 error, "This device cannot turn on" on my video card. I can't say for sure that immediately after the upgrade that the video card stopped working, but I think it did.

I have an Intel Duo Core E7200 @ 2.53 Ghz system, Windows XP Pro, Gigabyte S Series motherboard, and an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 video card.

Now, the fan on the video card is working, so it's getting power. I have already updated the video driver, and I removed the video card and re-seated it. Still not working.

Any advice?

Mute
08-14-2010, 1:58 PM
Define what you mean by not working. For now, do this:

On boot up hit the F8 key and boot into safe mode. Try reverting back to the previous video card driver.

Edge
08-14-2010, 2:18 PM
By not working, I mean that the fan is working, but the cpu is not using the card. In the device manager there is a code 10 error "Device cannot start up".

This happened before I updated the driver.

CSDGuy
08-14-2010, 2:31 PM
Oh. Have you tried it in a different machine? Otherwise, it sounds like the card's mostly dead.

Edge
08-14-2010, 2:57 PM
Don't have time today, but I'll swap it into another machine tomorrow.

Edge
08-14-2010, 2:58 PM
Just seems like too much of a coincidence that it happened after a Windows upgrade. I've always seemed to have problems after an upgrade.

CSDGuy
08-14-2010, 3:02 PM
Ok... got ya. I must have mis-read an above post wrong. Are you certain that your specific video card is compatible with the version of Windows you upgraded to? It's properly seated in the slot? You're using the correct driver?

Edge
08-14-2010, 3:46 PM
I didn't upgrade to a different version, sorry, I just realized I should be saying updated. They were mostly security updates, but I didn't scroll through the whole list before installing.

And I did reseat the card, and update the driver.

I guess I'm just hoping I don't have to replace it.

I'll put it into a different machine tomorrow to see if it's shot. If not, I guess I'll use System Restore to go to a point before the updates.

TonyM
08-14-2010, 5:01 PM
I didn't upgrade to a different version, sorry, I just realized I should be saying updated. They were mostly security updates, but I didn't scroll through the whole list before installing.

And I did reseat the card, and update the driver.

I guess I'm just hoping I don't have to replace it.

I'll put it into a different machine tomorrow to see if it's shot. If not, I guess I'll use System Restore to go to a point before the updates.

Go grab the NVIDIA driver from NVIDIA and don't accept the Windows Update video drivers. Here's the link to the XP (32 bit) driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html

Give that a try, but you may also want to look in your BIOS to make sure that the primary video card is set to PCI-E and not "on-board" or "integrated", etc.

bigmike82
08-14-2010, 9:15 PM
Before you install the driver, make sure to completely remove the old drivers. That is, uninstall any nvidia applications and remove the drivers from the driver directory (google if you need to know what files and where).

Then install the new drivers.

CSDGuy
08-14-2010, 9:17 PM
Before you install the driver, make sure to completely remove the old drivers. That is, uninstall any nvidia applications and remove the drivers from the driver directory (google if you need to know what files and where).

Then install the new drivers.
It is entirely possible that your old and new drivers are conflicting... Excellent suggestion!

JDay
08-15-2010, 8:42 PM
Oh. Have you tried it in a different machine? Otherwise, it sounds like the card's mostly dead.

The card works, how do you think he can read the error?

Make sure you delete the old drivers then install the new ones.

Edge
08-15-2010, 9:02 PM
The card works, how do you think he can read the error?

Actually, my pc is using graphics control that's built into the motherboard.

So, I haven't gotten around to trying the card in another machine, but I did run Driver Cleaner Pro, and after that got a different error, number 19, which mentions registry errors.

Isn't that the opposite of what should have happened?

I tried to roll back to Last Good Configuration, but, duh, my old drivers weren't there.

Hopefully will have time to swap out cards tomorrow.

bigmike82
08-15-2010, 10:16 PM
"Isn't that the opposite of what should have happened?"
Not necessarily. It's not uncommon from programs like that to accidentally delete important entries.

"I tried to roll back to Last Good Configuration, but, duh, my old drivers weren't there."
Have you tried completely removing any and all traces of Nvidia drivers from your system?

Edge
08-15-2010, 11:03 PM
I believe I removed all nvidia drivers with the Driver Cleaner Pro. But I didn't do a search before installing the updated drivers.

Driver Cleaner Pro listed all remove drivers, and all were nvidia, I didn't see any non-nvidia drivers in the list.

Ugh, I hate computer problems.

AlliedArmory
08-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Seems like the video card just died. It happened to me recently and it sometimes just happens out of the blue. Try your video card in another rig or vice versa.

NaughtyMonkey
08-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah sounds like it died to me too, but you never no, sometimes computers can be weird and very unpredictable. (I Swear there going to take over the world) TERMINATOR!!!

Nodaedul
08-18-2010, 4:02 PM
Edge, please let us know how this turns out. I am having a very smilar problem. I have a Core 2 Duo E6700 and I have an Nvidia 8800 GTX and my card seems to have died suddenly after powering down normally a few days ago. I can't remember if I had just done a Windows XP update or not but I know I had done one recently. My motherboard has no onboard graphics so I cannot get into the system but the audio tells me that the system boots into windows normally. I get the Dash Dot Dot beep code on powerup which indicates a display port error. I have done the reseating step as well. My card is also getting power and the fan is on but nothing comes out the DVI connector and my monitor is just blank.