PDA

View Full Version : Useless Saturday thread.

OneSevenDeuce
08-14-2010, 11:19 AM
I was thinking about home defense guns and I know that everyone probably has their pet favorites tucked away in the night stand or what have you. 9mm, .45, .38, (.380? ...Nah, never mind) everyone has their favorite caliber too I'm sure. But what I want to know is, how many spare magazines/speed loaders (if any) do you have next to the bed along with your pistola? Personally, I have a magazine in the gun, and two spares sitting in my nightstand drawer. Uh... I also have 5 spares loaded in my fall back location (The Alamo). It's not over kill when you actually have to kill someone.

ojisan
08-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Gun plus two reloads is the usual rule for carry.
At home I have more than one gun ready, and at least two full reloads ready for each semiauto....up to five interchangeable reloads for the primary and secondary guns (DA revolvers that the wife can use, she is not into autoloaders).

OneSevenDeuce
08-14-2010, 11:38 AM
At home I have more than one gun ready

I completely forgot to ask about secondary guns. In that case, also in my bedroom I have a backup pistol and a 12 gauge ready to go. Next to my rucksack (which is filled with field gear and 1st aid stuff) I have my mini with a bag full of loaded magazines... You know... In case the zombies come.

I'm not crazy! I'm prepared. :TFH:

Riots, earthquakes, or Red Dawn...

ontmark
08-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Gun plus two reloads is the usual rule for carry.
At home I have more than one gun ready, and at least two full reloads ready for each semiauto....up to five interchangeable reloads for the primary and secondary guns (DA revolvers that the wife can use, she is not into autoloaders).

Same here as stated

shooting4life
08-14-2010, 12:12 PM
I have a 657 3 inch 41 mag. I keep two additional speed loaders and 2 speed strips for 28 rounds total.

PositiveInfluence
08-14-2010, 12:20 PM
.40 Beretta with one mag in, plus two in the drawer next to the bed. Two more mags in the fall back location as well as a 12 Gauge Semi-Auto in the closet there.

OneSevenDeuce
08-14-2010, 1:32 PM
.40 Beretta with one mag in, plus two in the drawer next to the bed. Two more mags in the fall back location as well as a 12 Gauge Semi-Auto in the closet there.

You think like me. But do you have a fallback position for your fallback position? :D

NapaCountyShooter
08-14-2010, 4:31 PM
Glock with 2 reloads, 1911 with 2 reloads, the Mossy with 00 magnums and if it gets any further than that...the ar's ready to go.

thevic
08-14-2010, 4:38 PM
USPc .40 with two extra 12 rd mags and rem870 security with magnum 00. my fall back is the ar15 and c4 :P

morfeeis
08-14-2010, 5:39 PM
1 8 round mag in the C9, 1 10 round in the holster the C9 sits in and 5 10 round mags in a grab and go bag in the night stand just in case. it felt like over kill when i started off but who knows what could happen.....

and if all else fails i have a 995ts sitting in the closest that can use the same mags as the c9 and it has 2 10 round mags in it's bag, there is also a 12 gauge around here somewhere....

OneSevenDeuce
08-14-2010, 5:42 PM
1 8 round mag in the C9, 1 10 round in the holster the C9 sits in and 5 10 round mags in a grab and go bag in the night stand just in case. it felt like over kill when i started off but who knows what could happen.....

and if all else fails i have a 995ts sitting in the closest that can use the same mags as the c9 and it has 2 10 round mags in it's bag, there is also a 12 gauge around here somewhere....

Why do you have an 8 rounder loaded in the gun and a 10 rounder on your belt?

shortround1
08-14-2010, 7:12 PM
Are you guys expecting to get robbed by 30+ people at the same time?

MarioS
08-14-2010, 7:44 PM

No, but considering a situation where you are facing three armed assailants, you're pumped full of adrenaline and under heavy stress so all your shots may not be landing on target, and that it may take five or more rounds per threat to make them no longer a threat, you may go through more rounds than you think.

shortround1
08-14-2010, 7:48 PM
No, but considering a situation where you are facing three armed assailants, you're pumped full of adrenaline and under heavy stress so all your shots may not be landing on target, and that it may take five or more rounds per threat to make them no longer a threat, you may go through more rounds than you think.

Fair enough. For some reason I feel like playing resident evil now.

redcliff
08-14-2010, 8:23 PM
You mean a self defense pistol for when I run out of rounds/loaded mags for my shotgun and AR? Yeah I have 1911 in the nightstand with a couple spare mags.

Turo
08-14-2010, 8:28 PM
I've got my glock 27 with 9+1 rounds loaded, and for extra mags I've got another 9 rounder on the nightstand next to the 32 round mag full of FMJs. I figure if I've gotta go through 19 rounds of hollowpoint, I'm screwed anyway.

CALATRAVA
08-14-2010, 8:38 PM
Fair enough. For some reason I feel like playing resident evil now.

Lol!

I play battlefield 2142, which is a pretty sick first person shooter. After about a year of playing once or twice a week, i find that i'm a pretty good shot with both handguns and 2 or 3 of the rifles.

Nonetheless, every game a large percentage of my re-spawns(death, then re-entry into the game at a flag station) are due to me not having my gun reloaded in time, not having enough mags, or not transitioning to my sidearm quick enough when my main weapon goes down.

Granted its a game, and not real at all, i think anticpating and preparing to need more than just 2 rounds per intruder is a good thing.

Especially with an autoloader, since a failed mag can render a third of your loadout useless. (assuming you carry the standard 3 mags)

Cali-Shooter
08-14-2010, 8:47 PM
Damn, and I thought this was a TAN. I usually try to have 4 loaded mags with my main handgun, and I keep an empty mag in my Glock wherever I go (since having loaded weapons are such a criminal thing to do :rolleyes:). This is all in my trunk, because I don't have a CCW (yet).

Bill Carson
08-14-2010, 8:50 PM
6 mags for the G21 and 3mags for the 9mm

plan-b
08-14-2010, 8:55 PM
My bedside gun is a USP .45 in a Wilderness Tactical Safepacker. It carries a 2nd magazine. My only expectation with this setup is to buy me enough time to get to my Mossberg 12 gauge.

CALATRAVA
08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Damn, and I thought this was a TAN. I usually try to have 4 loaded mags with my main handgun, and I keep an empty mag in my Glock wherever I go (since having loaded weapons are such a criminal thing to do :rolleyes:). This is all in my trunk, because I don't have a CCW (yet).

"Tan" meaning tangent? :D

I particularly liked my use of a video game to inform my level of readiness.

Definite high point of a useless thread. :D haha

OneSevenDeuce
08-15-2010, 7:33 AM

Yes. Expect the unexpected. Paranoia saves lives.

lazs
08-15-2010, 8:04 AM
There are a lot of uses for handguns.. many many.. one of which is self defense. Of all the things that you need or want a handgun for.. self defense.. real self defense.. well, the gun you use for that is the least important.. any functional handgun that you use well will work just fine.

OneSevenDeuce
08-15-2010, 8:09 AM
any functional handgun that you use well will work just fine.

Well... I'm going to caveat that just a bit. I don't think ANY handgun that someone shoots well is necessarily appropriate for self defense. I have said elsewhere on these forums that a 22 can kill as many of us know. However that doesn't mean that I would want to depend on it to save my life during a home invasion. Especially against a larger assailant. I mention the 22 just as an example. You could make that care with other rounds as well. .17, .380, or what have you.

Personally, the reason I keep a handgun as my primary home defense weapon is because I live in an apartment. My living space is somewhat smaller that most houses. I'd rather have something I can use around a relatively tight corner effectively than a big long gun. Although, as I mentioned before, I do have a 5.56 in the Alamo just in case.