PDA

View Full Version : new railway jobs in Ca?

Darklyte27
08-14-2010, 7:29 AM
so whats up with it? is it still moving forward? Its got me thinking, its gota create jobs for quite some time if they are dumping this much into it.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/trivalleyherald/localnews/ci_15772314?source=rss

any train/railway guys got more info?

gdict
10-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I talked to a UP engineer a couple months back and he said that there are a large number of UP workers hitting retirement age this year. Basically, the boomers are hitting retirement age and this is opening up a lot of positions in the still burgeoning rail freight business. These jobs are not good if you have a family and want a consistent schedule. You will be on the road, working holidays, nights, etc. That said, the people getting in now are the ones that will be cherry picked to operate high speed rail when (if) it comes. Piloting a train at 175 mph is a pretty cush job. A typical shift will likely be one round trip a day, a few days a week. I rode along once in the cab of a German ICE high speed train and the engineer had been working for the German railroad for over forty years. He had driven every steam, diesel, and electric locomotive ever used by the railroad and was very happy spending his last few years to retirement working a five hour shift, four days a week, driving the finest train to ever roll on steel rails.

Cheers!

Brianguy
10-02-2010, 4:42 PM
metrolink has a few openings