PDA

View Full Version : looking at becoming new FFL

mebejets
08-13-2010, 11:02 PM
i know that i need either county or city licenses/approval.

what and who do i have to talk to in the state and feds? what is the approx fees to start and renewals?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-14-2010, 1:10 AM
First, talk to your landlord. See if he will let you operate a firearms business out of his property. If you own the location then you are good to go for this part.

Next, talk to your local zoning commission. See if your local zoning regulations will allow you to operate a firearms business out of the property in question.

Once you have done this, come back here for the next step. :p

tenpercentfirearms
08-14-2010, 5:16 AM
First, talk to your landlord. See if he will let you operate a firearms business out of his property. If you own the location then you are good to go for this part.

Next, talk to your local zoning commission. See if your local zoning regulations will allow you to operate a firearms business out of the property in question.

Exactly. Nothing else matters until those two steps are done. The feds will issue you an FFL even if you can't use it. They don't care and just take your $200. If you don't get a local business license, you won't sell guns and the local business license is really the only discretionary issue.

GetBulletsandBrass
09-14-2010, 6:35 PM
Exactly. Nothing else matters until those two steps are done. The feds will issue you an FFL even if you can't use it. They don't care and just take your $200. If you don't get a local business license, you won't sell guns and the local business license is really the only discretionary issue.

Depending on where you live, you may need to have a regulatory permit, retail permit in addition to a business license. Some counties will require you to have general liability insurance.

Zoning requirements are certainly important as well.

gatdammit
09-20-2010, 12:48 AM

What if you own a townhouse? You have to get HOA permission?

jtmkinsd
09-20-2010, 10:05 AM
What if you own a townhouse? You have to get HOA permission?

If there is something in the CC&Rs about running a business out of your residence then yes. Read over them carefully.

jonzer77
10-12-2010, 2:32 PM
What if you want to get a ffl to be able to purchase ammo after feb 2011 and the occasional ffl transfer?

jtmkinsd
10-12-2010, 6:29 PM
What if you want to get a ffl to be able to purchase ammo after feb 2011 and the occasional ffl transfer?

If you're only looking to be able to buy ammo I'd hold off...there is current litigation filed to throw out the ammo law...see how that goes first