PDA

View Full Version : Just got Samsung Captivate, experience with rooting?

santacruzstefan
08-13-2010, 10:39 PM
I just picked up the Captivate, a galaxy s phone, on at&t today. Its my first smart phone and damn, I am impressed. I had been waiting until at&t got a decent android phone, and Im glad I did, because its really nice. The screen is insanely clear, and the operations are quite smooth; should be even better once the 2.2 update comes out, or so I hear. What are some good apps to get for it? Also, is the risk of rooting the phone extreme enough to worry about doing it/ bricking the phone if I screw up? The tutorial I found was kind of confusing, especially the part dealing with erasing the pre-loaded at&t crap after its rooted, which is the main reason I want to do it in the first place. Anyone have experience with this?

Warhawk014
08-14-2010, 9:01 AM
download android sdk. your going to need it if you want to remove any unwanted apps. as for rooting, it serves its purpose. more control over your phone and all that good stuff. some people do it some people dont. i have 3 droids and all of them are rooted using different versions of custom roms. my droid incredible has been running android 2.2 for 3 weeks now. and its blazing fast. but if you like your phone the way it is dont root.

santacruzstefan
08-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Well, how is it going to change the phone? I thought I needed to root it in order to remove at&t's bloatware using the SDK, as well as take away their block against third party applications.

Zomgie
08-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Follow this tutorial: http://samsungvibranthacks.com/samsung-vibrant-hacks/how-to-root-samsung-vibrant-galaxy-s/

FYI the Samsung Vibrant and Captivate are the same phone (Galaxy S) but for different carriers.

Basically the steps are: Download Java JDK, Download Android SDK, Download update file, Load update file to your SD card, Put your phone into debug mode and run an SDK command. YOUR PHONE IS NOW ROOTED.

After your phone is rooted, THEN you can begin to do things like setup WiFi tethering, uninstall apps, etc. Btw the easiest way to uninstall the pre-installed apps was to download the (free) 'Titanium Backup' client. It lets you uninstall anything on your phone, so be careful you only uninstall the stupid apps and not something important (like the antenna drivers)

santacruzstefan
08-14-2010, 1:47 PM
Follow this tutorial: http://samsungvibranthacks.com/samsung-vibrant-hacks/how-to-root-samsung-vibrant-galaxy-s/

FYI the Samsung Vibrant and Captivate are the same phone (Galaxy S) but for different carriers.

Basically the steps are: Download Java JDK, Download Android SDK, Download update file, Load update file to your SD card, Put your phone into debug mode and run an SDK command. YOUR PHONE IS NOW ROOTED.

After your phone is rooted, THEN you can begin to do things like setup WiFi tethering, uninstall apps, etc. Btw the easiest way to uninstall the pre-installed apps was to download the (free) 'Titanium Backup' client. It lets you uninstall anything on your phone, so be careful you only uninstall the stupid apps and not something important (like the antenna drivers)

But only use titanium backup after its been rooted, right?

sfwdiy
08-14-2010, 1:52 PM
But only use titanium backup after its been rooted, right?

Titanium Backup will only work once the phone's been rooted. :thumbsup:

--B

Zomgie
08-15-2010, 9:58 AM
Yes. When you go to install Titanium Backup it will ask for root permissions

JDay
08-15-2010, 8:39 PM
Also, is the risk of rooting the phone extreme enough to worry about doing it/ bricking the phone if I screw up? The tutorial I found was kind of confusing, especially the part dealing with erasing the pre-loaded at&t crap after its rooted, which is the main reason I want to do it in the first place. Anyone have experience with this?

You'd have to screw up really bad to brick your phone, and even if you did you can fix it. Read this thread and follow the instructions exactly and you will not have any problems.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725555

Read this thread if you want 2.2 (Froyo) on it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=734871

download android sdk. your going to need it if you want to remove any unwanted apps.

Once you're rooted you can just use Titanium Backup to remove the preinstalled crap.