PDA

View Full Version : School me on AZ carry

Dr Rockso
08-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Going to be spending some time in Arizona and Nevada, mostly just on the road and doing some touristy stuff. Mostly just want to be able to keep my handgun in the vehicle and carry it where permitted. Any hidden 'gotchas' I should be aware of in regards to AZ's new permitless CCW law?

To summarize, what are the rules:
In vehicle in AZ?
Concealed on the person in AZ?
In vehicle in National Park (Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest)?
In vehicle in NV?

Thanks Calguns braintrust.

Quiet
08-13-2010, 11:40 PM
To summarize, what are the rules:
In vehicle in AZ?
Loaded & concealed or loaded & in the open is legal.

Concealed on the person in AZ?
Without a CCW permit, can't carry in an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption (ie. resturants/bars).

With a CCW permit, can't carry in an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption that has a posted "no firearms/weapons" sign.

In vehicle in National Park (Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest)?
Not sure.

In vehicle in NV?
Handgun can be loaded and conceal, as long as it is not concealed upon your person. If it's loaded and concealed in a portable container (i.e. bag, etc.), then it'll be considered concealed upon your person. Loaded and in the vehicle's glove/utility compartment is legal.

Bobula
08-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Be weary of school zones in AZ. The constitutional carry act doesn't have an exemption for the federal school zone bs

dustoff31
08-14-2010, 6:34 AM
National Parks and wildlife refuges follow state law. Depending on where you go, remember that AZ has a lot of federal property that is not NP/NNWR, and so guns may still be prohibited. The same goes for Indian Reservations.

Can't carry in resturants/bars with posted "no firearms/weapons" signs.

You can't carry in any establishment that serves alcohol without a CCW permit.

Posted by Bobula

Be weary of school zones in AZ. The constitutional carry act doesn't have an exemption for the federal school zone bs

True. It always pays to be careful. But honestly, GFSZ is the least of a gunowner's concerns in AZ.

For those who spend any amount of time in AZ these are two good reasons to get a CCW permit. They are readily issued to non-residents.

dieselpower
08-14-2010, 9:41 AM
I was told in AZ, when driving it is best to keep it on your hip, uncovered, or in the glove box. Hiding it under the seat is not advised, sticking it between the seats is not advised. Both tend to bring unwarrented suspicion from LEO if pulled over.

A gun on the hip = responsible gun owner

A gun somewhat hidden from view = ?

Decoligny
08-14-2010, 12:36 PM

While "technically" true, the police in Arizona do not inforce this federal law. The chances of your being pulled over by a DEA/FBI/ICE agent while in a Federal GFSZ are next to nothing.

AZ has always been a Loaded Open Carry state, and nobody in AZ worries about OC in GFSZs.

dustoff31
08-14-2010, 1:41 PM
I was told in AZ, when driving it is best to keep it on your hip, uncovered, or in the glove box. Hiding it under the seat is not advised, sticking it between the seats is not advised. Both tend to bring unwarrented suspicion from LEO if pulled over.

A gun on the hip = responsible gun owner

A gun somewhat hidden from view = ?

I haven't heard that. Although it does make some sense, I guess.

Any LEO will most likely assume that you are armed. And of course, he has no idea of who you are or what your intentions are. That said, unless you really give him the creeps, the vast majority of AZ cops are not paranoid about guns, or about (normal) people who have them.

Do not however, just stick a gun in your pants without a holster and walk around like that. It's not against the law or anything, it's just tacky.:D

cmth
08-14-2010, 2:41 PM
A friend of mine got stopped by an AZ highway patrol officer going through Yuma from SD to Tucson last weekend. Friend had his loaded pistol in the glove box along with his wallet and registration/insurance cards. Officer came up to his passenger window, and friend told the officer his documents were in the glove box, and there is a loaded pistol in there too. So he recommended the officer to get them out. The officer took out the pistol, set it on the car's hood, and didn't touch it for the rest of the stop. No attempt to unload it, or "run the numbers" as CA cops like to do. Officer put it and the other stuff back in the glove box when it was all said and done, and gave my friend a warning on speeding.

MSO4MATT
08-15-2010, 12:18 AM
So, the best things in AZ are Golf and Spring training...golf courses have serve alcohol and there is plenty of beer at the ball park. Does that mean you have no right to self defense in those venues?

wellerjohn
08-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Was at the grand canyon in May found every lodge, restaurant, gift shop, and visitor center has a no guns sign on the door...... making it against the law there. You can carry outside all you want but don't take it into any of the buildings. Have fun.

cmth
08-15-2010, 9:37 AM
Was at the grand canyon in May found every lodge, restaurant, gift shop, and visitor center has a no guns sign on the door...... making it against the law there. You can carry outside all you want but don't take it into any of the buildings. Have fun.

Concealed means concealed.

Ding126
08-15-2010, 10:16 AM
AZ= you can have a loaded pistol in the glove box or center consil (sp) it must be in a holster..no ccw required.

You must obey all posted signes at stores, restaurants etc.

I-8 from so cal to AZ..expect a stop or two from BP & ICE..wife went through a couple of check points recently

cmth
08-15-2010, 10:31 AM
AZ= you can have a loaded pistol in the glove box or center consil (sp) it must be in a holster

All of that silliness has been done away with. Those "rules" were only for people who did not have an AZ CCW. You can now have it anywhere you like, holster not required.

Zonie
08-15-2010, 10:31 AM
While "technically" true, the police in Arizona do not inforce this federal law. The chances of your being pulled over by a DEA/FBI/ICE agent while in a Federal GFSZ are next to nothing.

AZ has always been a Loaded Open Carry state, and nobody in AZ worries about OC in GFSZs.

This is true. No police department here gives a damn about the federal GFSA. The law is universally flouted here.

There are a few places that are off limits to carry. The main ones you need to worry about are nuclear and hydroelectric power stations and jail/prison grounds. Carrying there is a felony. Carrying in any other prohibited place, absent any other concomitant criminal conduct, is only a misdemeanor. For misdemeanor weapons misconduct, you'll likely not even be booked into jail, just cited and released. Hell, this being Arizona, the cop might just let you off with a warning if he knows you're from out of state and aren't really familiar with the laws.