PDA

View Full Version : Maglock Review: Prince50 and SemiAutoSam

xenophobe
05-02-2006, 1:27 AM
As promised, a close look at the two Mag-Lock Compliance Kits being offered on Calguns. Neither of these have received CADOJ approval, but both comform to the law as written. Only time will tell if either or both of these kits will be approved by DOJ. Please do not build a California Post-SB23 Compliant Rifle if you are not fully aware of the legalities and possible consequences.

On the left is SemiAutoSam's product. Please note this is a pre-production unit and does not have a firm price set, nor does it have retail packaging yet. This unit is currently in production and will be shipping soon.

On the right is Darin's Prince50 kit. This kit is in full production and is currently available as pictured.

I know that this looks like a VS, and indeed the file names are labeled as such, but due to the fact that SAS's kit is not in full production, nor does it have retail packaging, his kit may not be the final form, and any comparisons may not be valid when retail packaging is available. This as meant as a review killing two birds with one proverbial stone. I have both kits, and I endorse them both equally for different reasons.

In my opinion, the Sporting Conversion's kit is not as nice as either of these, nor are they members of Calguns.net, so I have decided not to include it.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9215/vs12rm.jpg

Close up pictures of the contents of both kits.
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4640/vs26yk.jpg

Installed. Top view.
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7003/vs35uw.jpg

From an angle.
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3754/vs40fd.jpg

The SAS kit fits in the mag button well perfectly. It is manufactured with stainless steel. It has a nice flush fit and is of the highest quality. I'm really impressed with the machining of this kit. It will not mar the inside of the mag button well. A top quality product for someone who would rather spend a few extra dollars for the best quality. The big downside is that you need to shorten your mag catch yourself, so this is not a complete drop-in solution. If a modified magazine catch is included in the kit, may raise the price considerably. SAS will shorten your mag catch to work with his kit FREE of charge if you send it in with payment.

The Prince50 kit is well done. All you need at a fair price. The mag button is made of aluminum and offers a similar look to a standard button. The allen screw will tighten the mag catch so it will not move, but may mar the finish inside the mag well if you overtighten it. If it does mar the finish, it will be hidden and insignificant to most, but some really anal people might be bothered by this. The included instructions describe 8 different locking combinations/levels of security which is really nice. A second set screw has been replaced by a allen bolt, and I'm not sure that I like this as much as the earlier kits. The button cants slightly in the opposite direction of the set screw if fitted snugly, but is only cosmetic. It is a nice retail package that does it's job well. Currently available.

SAS
Pro:
Very high quality.
Stainless steel.
Flush fit.
Will not mar finish.
A fixed magazine solution that is obvious at a glance from a distance.
Cannot be used as a detachable mag button
Sending your mag catch with payment, and it will be modified for free.
Cons:
Possibly the price.
You need to shorten your own mag catch if you do not send one in.

Prince50
Pro:
All metal.
Available now.
9 levels of security detailed on the instruction set.
You may retain your mag release spring.
Includes detailed instructions.
Cons:
Can be used as a detachable mag button.
Allen set-screw may mar/scratch inside of mag release well if overtightened.
Mag release button is aluminum and should be a little longer.
Not easily identifiable as a fixed magazine solution from a distance.

To summarize, if you need it now, the Prince50 is out there. He's sold many units, and the 8 levels of protection are great. You get everything you need in a nice package with detailed instructions. The only concerns of mine are the new allen bolt and the fact the main set screw might mar the finish. The SAS kit is high quality, which is more important than cost to some, and the flush fit stainless lock will not be mistaken as being detachable at a distance. It cannot be used as a spring loaded pushbutton, which may be something the overly cautious may prefer, but you must modifiy your own mag catch.

Hopefully we'll see a completed retail packaging of the SAS soon, and these will be available very soon.

xenophobe
05-02-2006, 1:30 AM
A picture of the first batch of Prince50 kits includes a small second set screw instead of the larger allen screw pictured in the review above...

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8382/vs50uq.jpg

tenpercentfirearms
05-02-2006, 5:37 AM
The SAS kit looks really nice. I might have to order a few for the guys who want a really nice kit. I will have to do a Sporting Conversion review since I seem to sell the most amount of them. It is true the SAS looks nicer than the Sporting Conversions kit, but it is hard to beat the $14.95 price tag of the Sporting Conversions kit on an item you hope to never ever use again someday. Good reveiw Xeno, I hope the SAS guy cuts you a good deal because if anything will sell those kits, it is this review.

jmlivingston
05-02-2006, 5:58 AM
That SAS kit is darn nice looking! What's the word on what the street pricing is going to be, and what does it take to modify the mag-catch?

John

SemiAutoSam
05-02-2006, 6:38 AM
That SAS kit is darn nice looking! What's the word on what the street pricing is going to be, and what does it take to modify the mag-catch?

John

I'm selling the MAG-LOCKŪ kit for 30 +6 shipping what the shops that buy the kit from me will be retailing it at is up to them.

The MAG-LOCKŪ kits are in stock and ready to ship.
The 10/32 Stud must be shortened to .800 this is measuring just height of the STUD not the L arm Ill provide a pic later tonight to clarify what is meant by this.

As stated in the post (link below) When you send in your payment if you send in your MAG Catch we will modify it for you FREE OF CHARGE

The MAG-LOCKŪ that was sent to xenophobe was not in a little plastic bag as those had not been received yet the items that we are selling at retail will be in bags and will have instructions (not that most of you would need them) as if you know how to get the mag catch out of the receiver you shouldn't have a problem assembling this kit.

If customers desire we will supply a MAG CATCH for an additional 10.00

Here is a pic of the MAG-LOCK in its retail packaging

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/MAGLOCKBAGGED.jpg

And here is a pic to show the Mag release catch / stud modification for those that wish to do it themselves.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/MagLockCatchStudMod.jpg

For questions or orders E-MAIL: MAG-LO(REMOVE)CK@Safe-mail.net

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=32414

akspetsnaz
05-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Good to see some clear detail pics. SAS kit is the way to go.

It would be the best if the kit includes the modified Magazine Catch at that price.

Prince50
05-02-2006, 12:23 PM
To Xeno and all,

Nice review, thank you. I will address some of your issues too.

I will return to the origional small second screw since it seems to be preferred. I actually went to the larger one to make the lock easily identifiable from a distance, which was another concern.

The unit does not need to be torqued down, no marring of the inside of the mag well should ever happen. Even if it did, it is on the inside of the mag well, and would never, ever, be seen on an assembled lower. If the screw is not torqued down hard, it will not cant the button in the receiver, eliminating that issue.

As to the fact that the button may be used as a mag catch button, when out of state, that's a Pro. That's why I designed it that way. Remove the spring, and it functions the same as the other kit in this review.

Also, the Prince50 kit does not require modification to the mag catch, which means your lower can be returned to stock configuration when/ if the laws change. The other kit requires a new mag catch to be purchased at that time.

Again thanks for your business and review.

Tenpercent, I sent you an Email via your web site, did you get it?

Darin

xenophobe
05-02-2006, 5:36 PM
Sam, I edited your additional information in.

Darin, I'll replace the large screw pictures with better ones. It was late and didn't have time to readjust the set screw and take better pictures. My apologies.

I'll further revise the review tonight. Thank you BOTH for providing us with kits to finish our rifles.

cabdmd
05-02-2006, 9:52 PM
The SAS kit does look the nicest and would appear to be argueably the best solution to conform to the fixed magazine need.

My question is what is the length of the button as compared to the regular mag catch button? It would appear to need to be the same as the distance as measured from the inside wall of the receiver to the exterior opposite side.

SemiAutoSam
05-02-2006, 10:18 PM
If your refering to the Stainless steel insert I dont remember offhand but its the correct leanth to be flush with the right side outer wall of the receiver. I realised that it must be smooth and not protrude at all so it would not snag on anything. this is why I wasn't concerned with the stud at all, As if the insert were long enuf to maintain the original stud leanth the insert would protrude I felt this was more importiant than keeping the mag catch stud intact, Thats my reasoning at least.

As far as the original mag release button its .300 long and the MAG-LOCK® insert is .625

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for your interest in my designs

Here are 2 more pics of the correct modification to the Mag catch stud and what the MAG-LOCK® looks like in its retail packaging.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/MagLockCatchStudMod.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/MAGLOCKBAGGED.jpg

shopkeep
05-03-2006, 3:12 PM
Great review! For rifles that stay within the state of California the SAS maglok is definitely the way to go. Darin's kit has an edge for users who visit Nevada or Arizona though.

grammaton76
05-05-2006, 2:15 AM
Just a heads up - I was at BSP yesterday and they had the Prince50 in stock for sale. I meant to buy one, but forgot about it.

hawk1
05-05-2006, 4:00 PM
Just a heads up - I was at BSP yesterday and they had the Prince50 in stock for sale. I meant to buy one, but forgot about it.
For those that can't/don't go to Brightspot, I sell them as well. See my thread here at Calguns;
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31115

SemiAutoSam
05-09-2006, 6:31 PM
As it can be seen from a distance that YOUR RIFLE'S MAG IS LOCKED.

You are following the letter of the law. It does not look like a mag release button from a distance.

We now have new colt mag release catch / studs these have been modified by the shop that made the MAG-LOCK.
If you would like to include this new mag release catch with your order add 10.00

The price on the MAG_LOCK KITS is 30.00 each plus 7.00 USPS priority mail shipping with signature confirmation included

PM shipping = 7.00

Total with addon mag catch 47.00

Total without addon mag catch 37.00

I use Signature confirmation to know that you have received what you have paid for.

mattmcg
08-31-2006, 9:22 PM
Is the Mag-lock device even being sold anymore? I've emailed the listed email twice and received no response! Seems like this is a better route to take than the Prince50 but it sure seems hard to get ahold of anybody.

6172crew
08-31-2006, 9:24 PM
Matt, try PMing Sam or Hawk for your needs, Calguns is taking a break from any parts or firearms from being sold.

tenpercentfirearms
09-01-2006, 5:53 AM
e-mail me for more info. guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

SemiAutoSam
09-01-2006, 6:45 AM
Yes the MAG-LOCK is still available but only a small quantity is left in stock.

Use the E-Mail address in my Sig line to get pricing information.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
09-01-2006, 5:13 PM
Did Prince50 change the design of his kit recently or is there a copy cat out there?

I have 3 buttons with a circular pattern on the face with the tiny allen screw to lock the button. Never had a problem with any of those.

I just received two prince50 kits (identical to pictures in this thread) and they do not fit very well. The button is a VERY tight fit in a stag lower, and it will NOT fit into a Double Star lower. The allen head screw is a bit bigger than the first batch I bought. I also tried both buttons on two different mag catches and it will not thread more than three times by hand without a huge fight.

Did I receive a different kit the first go round?

SemiAutoSam
09-01-2006, 5:15 PM

hoffmang
09-01-2006, 6:15 PM
Sam,

Copyright doesn't protect words in trade - Trademark does. I'm not sure you'd be able to get a trademark on MAG-LOCK as its too descriptive.

-Gene

AYEAREFIFTEEN
09-01-2006, 6:32 PM
I hate to correct you but the PRINCE 50 design is not a MAG-LOCK as my design is copyrighted.

Contact Prince50 directly about his product or his agent that sells them for him HAWK I think his name was.

My mistake. Didn't mean to confuse anyone or misrepresent your product. I will edit my post.