PDA

View Full Version : Hakim Owners

Pthfndr
05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Amazing rifles, aren't they? I could believe how accurate mine was when I first shot it, and how little recoil it has throwing a 196 gr bullet thanks to the weight and a very effective muzzle brake.

So this might give you a chuckle.

A local gun club has a 3 gun match a few times a year. Normally I shoot an AR of some kind. But the last couple matches, the steel they had at 100 yards (the longest distance) was old 5 gal propane tanks. By the time I got to them they were full of holes and sometimes the spotter was calling misses because the .223 was either going through holes or not causing the tank to move.

So this sunday I took some extra "fire power". I took my Hakim to use on the steel. Even though I would be using the iron sights, I'm pretty good with them and the rifle is accurate and it was zeroed at 100 yards. Figured 8mm would make a definite, unmistakeable hit. Well, this time they had 1" thick steel plates hung at 100 and the tanks at 50 yards. There was no doubt when that big bullet hit the steel plate - CLANG!

But after I hit the plates I had to reload for the tanks. I had strippers, they all fit and worked well. So I reloaded the first 5 rounds, went to load the second 5, took my eyes off the rifle for just a second and.......

Missed the stripper guide and shoved the stripper clip into the magazine!! Couldn't get it out with my hands. So, I pulled the mag and shot at the remaining 8 targets SINGLE LOADING AND SHOOTING ONE AT A TIME.

If you have a Hakim, you'll know what was going through my mind each time I went to pull the bolt back and load a round - PUT THE SAFETY ON FIRST, PUT THE SAFETY ON FIRST. Took a lot longer of course, but no way was I going to chance having the bolt slam forward on my fingers. Still had lots of fun.

And 196gr 8mm FMJ makes a pretty good size dent in steel plate :D

pogo
05-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Sounds you had a good time, I've been looking for a Hakim to go with my Ljungmann. I found someone selling one locally for $500 but just can't bring myself to spend that much.

It's nice to have an 8mm semi. Did I miss it, what kind of 8mm were you using, and do you have a bayo for it?

No kidding about protecting the thumb with that action, it takes some getting used to.

Still have the SKY M39 you sold me a few years back, beautiful rifle!

50 Freak
05-01-2006, 11:53 PM
I have an FN49 that does the same thing. The whole damn stripper clip and ammo goes down into the mag. Pisses the hell out of me as I can't pull that thing out without using pliers or dropping the mag and having 10 rounds shoot out all over the place.

Pthfndr
05-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Pogo

I was using 70's Yugo. Was very accurate and fairly clean. No bayonet :(

Wish I had kept that SKY now. Little did I know how hard they are to come by.

50 Freak

I had 3 FN49s in different calibers. They all used different stripper clips, but the right ones for each worked quite well.