PDA

View Full Version : using phone as wifi router

entgunguy
08-13-2010, 1:25 PM
anyone have experience using their cel phone as a wifi router for other devices.
i have an htc hd2. i started the wifi router app- created a name and wep key. then i click start. however, i tried a few laptops and none of them see the phone.

it is like on a wireless router where you hide your network (ssid) name. i cannot figure out how to broadcast the phone wifi router ssid. thanks

sfwdiy
08-13-2010, 2:02 PM
anyone have experience using their cel phone as a wifi router for other devices.
i have an htc hd2. i started the wifi router app- created a name and wep key. then i click start. however, i tried a few laptops and none of them see the phone.

it is like on a wireless router where you hide your network (ssid) name. i cannot figure out how to broadcast the phone wifi router ssid. thanks

Try starting it up as an open network with no WEP encryption, see if that works. Is this via an application built into the phone, or something you downloaded elsewhere? Most of the time you have to pay extra for tethering from your wireless carrier.

Also, do you know if the phone is creating a wifi network in ad-hoc mode or infrastructure mode? Some computers are pissy about connecting to ad-hoc networks.

--B

ar15barrels
08-13-2010, 2:31 PM
I run my Nokia E71x as a wifi router to surf with an Ipod touch or my laptop.
I'm running Joikuspot which is an N60 platform app.
I can leave the phone in the car and access the wifi from 50ft away.
I sometimes do that when I go into the post office or stores where I would have to wait in line.

xrMike
08-13-2010, 2:57 PM
I sometimes do that when I go into the post office or stores where I would have to wait in line.Ahhhh, so that's how you're able to work and build stuff, reload, and shoot all the time, yet still maintain the monster post count. ;)

ar15barrels
08-13-2010, 3:21 PM
Ahhhh, so that's how you're able to work and build stuff, reload, and shoot all the time, yet still maintain the monster post count. ;)

I sleep about 5 hours a night.
The other 19 hours a day, I am within arms reach of a web browser.
It may be in my pocket or on a desk, but it's within arms reach.

I'm currently trying to figure out some sort of ball bearing setup to hang an ipad in the middle of my steering wheel and balance it so it's always upright.

entgunguy
08-13-2010, 9:14 PM
Figured it out. Had to go under tools and choose Internet sharing through Bluetooth not USB. Kind of weird since I am not using Bluetooth but that will show the wifi router on available networks.

SeanCasey
08-16-2010, 5:11 PM
Strange, on my HD2 internet sharing is set to USB for tethering, but the "wifi router" app works great (wish it supported WPA2 though). For the person that asks, it does display in Ad-Hoc mode, not infrastructure. I have not had any issues on Windows 7 laptops however.

FWIW I am running a custom ROM based off of the TMOUS 2.13.531 ROM with the T-mobile stuff taken off and a few registry tweaks preset. And running the 2.12.50 radio (seems to work much better than the 2.08.50 radio it came with and 2.10.50 radio the 2.13.531 ROM came with).