PDA

View Full Version : Secretcy question

StuckInCA
05-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Just curious, and don't flame if this is a dumb question...

But why does everyone XX out the last 2 or 3 #'s in their rifle's serial number? Afraid someone will report it stolen, thus making you in possession of a "stolen" firearm?

I'm confused...

-Andy

Muzz
05-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Best not to let everyone know everything about your blasters. Slimeballs are creative. Who knows what can happen?

Pthfndr
05-01-2006, 10:41 PM
That. Also, it also keeps ex wives from calling the PD and saying "that sob took my rifle and here's the serial number", in which case you spend much time and $$ sorting things out with the court :eek:

NeoWeird
05-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Well for one, registrations are coming up, and woudln't it be awful to find out some donkey hat registered opening day and then filed a stolen firearm report. Then the police come knocking on your door when you subsequently try to register.

Second, same thing, reported stolen property. It's not that hard to trace locations via IPs, and they could claim their friend, ex neighbor, etc stole it and they are at their house, which they know the address to.

Third, manufacturing intent. Mills, CNC machines, etchers, engravers, etc. are EASY to get and operate, and if someone wanted they could duplicate a firearm (VERY easy), put a serial on it they know belongs to somone, and commit a crime. They drop the weapon, and it can be traced back to the 'original' owner, only they end up going after you.

It's like....your driver's license, social security, credit card, etc. To the average Joe they aren't worth much because they won't do anything with them; but to someone with criminal intent they are gold mines.

ps. I am uber paranoid when it comes to some things.

StuckInCA
05-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Well for one, registrations are coming up, and woudln't it be awful to find out some donkey hat registered opening day and then filed a stolen firearm report. Then the police come knocking on your door when you subsequently try to register.

Second, same thing, reported stolen property. It's not that hard to trace locations via IPs, and they could claim their friend, ex neighbor, etc stole it and they are at their house, which they know the address to.

Third, manufacturing intent. Mills, CNC machines, etchers, engravers, etc. are EASY to get and operate, and if someone wanted they could duplicate a firearm (VERY easy), put a serial on it they know belongs to somone, and commit a crime. They drop the weapon, and it can be traced back to the 'original' owner, only they end up going after you.

It's like....your driver's license, social security, credit card, etc. To the average Joe they aren't worth much because they won't do anything with them; but to someone with criminal intent they are gold mines.

ps. I am uber paranoid when it comes to some things.

Ok I can see point one and two, but I counter with this. I (and I assume a lot of you like me) keep your DROS reciept after you pick up your lower/handgun/etc. If you don't I guess I'm just weird..This would have all your info saying YOU dros'd it, YOU picked it up...YOU bought it, and well, YOU are in possesion of it..

As for #3... Johnny Taliban gets a CNC machine, and dupe's a lower, complete with stag markings and my stag SN 0123456789, takes out people at Ontario Airport, and drops the gun. I was under the impression long guns aren't like handguns (unless they are register AW) and can't be traced to a "owner". But, lets say its a register AW serial #, and they come knocking. I'd just gladly tell them to hold on, and produce my lower, with the same serial # and DROS paperwork. Now the LEO's have Johnny Talibans lower and mine. I know it would be a hassle, but I'm sure it would all be sorted out.

Now, I have been a victim of idenity theft and mail fraud, I know the ramifications of someone getting your SSN, DL, etc... I'm not trolling either, I'm just confused I guess....

-Andy

shopkeep
05-02-2006, 1:26 AM
It really just boils down to this: why take chances?

MaxQ
05-02-2006, 8:37 AM
Here's a short archived thread from last summer about this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-23396.html

I still think that it's always better to err on the side of caution.

NRAhighpowershooter
05-02-2006, 9:01 AM
I sometimes list my numbers as XXXX2 heheheee:p

mltrading
05-02-2006, 11:59 AM
You won't want others know your SS number, will you? The S/N is the SS# of your gun.

My S/N is XXXXXXX.:D

GTKrockeTT
05-02-2006, 12:27 PM
secretcy...in before ohsmily.

vrylak
05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Just play it safe. There are a few things left for us to keep private(sort of) nowadays.

Even if it'll be sorted out anyway, why even go through the hassle - waste of time, effort and resources.

bear308
05-02-2006, 12:54 PM
secretcy...in before ohsmily.
I figure he's on vacation, I've seen a lot of stuff go unnoticed lately.