PDA

View Full Version : Possible to register in CA as an out of stater?

Maestro Pistolero
08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
If I wanted to register a pistol or two in CA, even though I am a NV resident, could I do it?

wildhawker
08-13-2010, 12:55 PM
DOJ would almost certainly reject your volreg application and return your money.

Maestro Pistolero
08-13-2010, 12:58 PM
And then presumably charge me with a felony as opposed to a misdemeanor should I be charged with concealing the gun that they refused to register.

Librarian
08-13-2010, 1:02 PM
Yep.

You might think CA doesn't want people to carry concealed handguns.

thayne
08-13-2010, 2:06 PM
DOJ would almost certainly reject your volreg application and return your money.

dont they want the $$$? :D

BKinzey
08-13-2010, 7:48 PM
And then presumably charge me with a felony as opposed to a misdemeanor should I be charged with concealing the gun that they refused to register.

So send them the volreg and money and keep the letter explaining why they returned it. Should the need arise you can use it in your defense.

ALSystems
08-14-2010, 9:11 AM
I think they would reject your volreg application but keep your money anyway.

nvzable
08-14-2010, 9:19 AM
Well lets see...

You're from Florida and want to buy a vacation home in Napa. So you do and leave your car and hobby toys at the residence so you can enjoy them when you visit. You don't change your residency - hey! - you're a Floridian!!

Question: Will you need to dump your Florida plates and re-register the car in California? - I'm thinking yes.

Question: Will you need to register your hobby toy with CA DOJ? - I thinking yes if you don't want to run afoul of the 60 days registratoin requirement.

Thoughts: Now most of these things revolve around people picking up and move state to state. But like lots of old guys I know - they'll keep stuff in various places and states.

GearHead
08-14-2010, 9:33 AM
"What do you mean officer, this gun has been in the state less than 60 days"

nvzable
08-14-2010, 9:45 AM
yeah if it wasn't documented, it didn't happen.

reminds me of friends that spent time in France. as long as pass-control don't stamp your passport when you enter the country you're good. no need for a visa - "hey I just got here man..."

wildhawker
08-14-2010, 10:59 AM
I think they would reject your volreg application but keep your money anyway.

Very doubtful since they provided no service and processed no application. They are pretty good about understanding the implication of actions like that.

Maestro Pistolero
08-14-2010, 2:42 PM
Might a refusal of voluntary registration be a defense against felony enhancement?