PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Than Dirt...

Stormfeather
05-01-2006, 10:12 PM
ok folks, im somewhat new to Calguns, but Ive posted a few times, lurked for months during the great Off-List Reciever Rush of '05, that and Ive been in the firearms industry for going on 16 years now, so I have got to ask this one small question. Why in the hell would you guys have Cheaper Than Dirt as a sponsor on the front page to your website? They are one of the biggest anti-california firearms parts business's around! they wont sell mags, even 5 rounders or 10 rounders for those off list recievers, they wont sell 75% of their inventory to California! Look on their "Restrictions Page" and see what they wont sell to you guys! Of the 18 Categories listed with restrictions, we were in over half of them! And thats not including the subcategories!
I moved out here 7 years ago from Ohio, a land where kids still take their shotguns to school for deer/duck/squirrel/geese/turkey season, So I know what "firearms freedom" is about, and where I come from , you dont support those business trying to keep you down. . . .

223-Sniper
05-01-2006, 10:16 PM
ok folks, im somewhat new to Calguns, but Ive posted a few times, lurked for months during the great Off-List Reciever Rush of '05, that and Ive been in the firearms industry for going on 16 years now, so I have got to ask this one small question. Why in the hell would you guys have Cheaper Than Dirt as a sponsor on the front page to your website? They are one of the biggest anti-california firearms parts business's around! they wont sell mags, even 5 rounders or 10 rounders for those off list recievers, they wont sell 75% of their inventory to California! Look on their "Restrictions Page" and see what they wont sell to you guys! Of the 18 Categories listed with restrictions, we were in over half of them! And thats not including the subcategories!
I moved out here 7 years ago from Ohio, a land where kids still take their shotguns to school for deer/duck/squirrel/geese/turkey season, So I know what "firearms freedom" is about, and where I come from , you dont support those business trying to keep you down. . . .

I with you all the way on this one. Qestion I thought they would ship a 10 rounder to CA?? Iam up a creek I cant find 10 rounder's at all everyone is sold out.

RRangel
05-01-2006, 10:18 PM
They are not a sponsor. They do a good job shipping ammunition that isn't illegal in California. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

AntiBubba 2.1
05-31-2006, 8:41 PM
They're still useful enough, whereas Sportsman's Guide won't ship any ammo to Sacramento.

jmlivingston
05-31-2006, 10:25 PM
I've bought 10-rounders for my CZ-75b from them before...

John

Ratters
05-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Yep, I buy ammo and mags (low capacity) from them occasionally without a hitch. Hmmm....

VeryCoolCat
06-01-2006, 11:44 AM
I have yet to shop with them, but they do have a large selection of factory ammunition. Although not really the cheapest, but they do have a good selection.

icormba
06-01-2006, 5:24 PM
I usually only buy large amounts of ammo (PMC 9mm & .45) from them because the shipping is cheaper than dirt! I sometimes buy the crap on the 5for $5 page too. Plus their shoot-n-see targets are pretty cheap in bulk.

Any AR or AK accessories... I wouldn't buy from them anyway.

edit: now that I think about it... I haven't bought that much from them since they went to that "Sportsman's Guide" type buyers club!

thomasanelson
06-02-2006, 2:52 PM
True "Cheaper than Dirt" won't sell some things to Kalifornias, but in my experience that is based on the laws of the state. I have purchased from them many times, including mags that are Cali-legal. CDNN on the other hand, which I also purchase from frequently, will not ship any handguns to Kalifornia even if it is on the AG approved list!:eek:

fmjkimber
06-02-2006, 11:45 PM
i love to buy ammo from them!!!

maschronic
06-02-2006, 11:56 PM
have you guys bought ammo from ammobros?? they are a good bunch of guys!!! they should be at the gun show this weekend at oc fair grounds. i'll be there buying ammo from them.

Creeping Incrementalism
06-04-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't like the 'sportsman's-guide-ification' of CTD, but as long as this state is going sideways, companies shipping firearms related items into this state need to cover their butts.

I understand it, but I don't like it none the less.

I understand it as laziness. Going beyond the law to restrict Californians even further on perfectly legal items, especiall for OLLs, hurts RKBA, and I've stopped buying from them since I discovered the policy on it. You can't call it covering their butts, because these items are unambiguously 100% legal to import (except for >10 round mags), in-and-of themselves.

Also, Midway is typically around 5% cheaper.

I also started a thread about this a few months ago: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=30628

Creeping Incrementalism
06-07-2006, 9:03 PM
I agree, but I still think they're just covering their butts. Judging by the fruit, nut, and flake ratio here in California, I would imagine they expect to be sued at the drop of a proverbial hat.

The fact that other companies sell these items to California without getting sued or getting any warnings from the DOJ removes any ambiguity about that, if CTD bothered to pay attention or had any guts at all. I even sent them an email letting them know those items were legal, and got no response, even though I was a big enough customer that they enrolled me in their buyers club for free. As a result, I haven't purchased anything from them since, and only would in the future if I was really desperate for something and absolutely no one else carried it, which doesn't happen.

RT13
06-08-2006, 7:02 PM
CTD has been good to me. I have bought many mags and grips and ammo from them. I have even emailed them once regarding why some out of state online stores will not ship to CA and they do. They said they still do and will.

leelaw
06-09-2006, 12:40 AM

I must have missed the whole "won't ship magazines to CA" policy when they shipped me a bunch of 10rd AK magazines a couple months ago. :rolleyes:

cornholio1
06-09-2006, 7:18 AM
Only if their prices were actually be cheaper than dirt. SG beats their prices many times over. At least for my ammo n e ways

califcowboy
06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
have you guys bought ammo from ammobros?? they are a good bunch of guys!!! they should be at the gun show this weekend at oc fair grounds. i'll be there buying ammo from them.

They are good guys but their ammo prices have crept up. They are on par with Miwall now.

Unknownassailant
06-09-2006, 11:35 AM
So would you guys agree that AIM Surplus is the cheapest place to buy ammo period? (surplus ammo)

m1aowner
06-12-2006, 5:10 PM
Forget Cheaper Than Dirt! I'm shopping around for a stock, and I see they won't ship collapsible stocks to CA. How are those illegal? Has this always been there policy since the CA AW BAN? Somebody doesn't have there thinking cap on over there. Won't get my money.

MysteryCereal
06-12-2006, 8:50 PM
Forget Cheaper Than Dirt! I'm shopping around for a stock, and I see they won't ship collapsible stocks to CA. How are those illegal? Has this always been there policy since the CA AW BAN? Somebody doesn't have there thinking cap on over there. Won't get my money.

They must have changed that recently because I ordered this (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/37161-46518-1888.html) not too long ago.

m1aowner
06-12-2006, 9:02 PM
Interesting..... I was going by the restricted list. They might be turning a blind eye to their policy for now. Or some wareouse slacker :) isn't doing their job.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/restrict.asp

They must have changed that recently because I ordered this (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/37161-46518-1888.html) not too long ago.

eviioiive
06-12-2006, 9:07 PM
ha ctd has sent me all kinds of items on the "restricted list" i dont think they really pay attention...