PDA

View Full Version : Liability Insurance and Legal Representation

puropuro
08-13-2010, 8:37 AM
Hi all,

I've searched, but need some direction on how to best protect myself and my assets as I near a possible CCW. At the very least, even if I don't get my CCW, these things are probably a good idea for HD.

Liability Insurance - I have Farmers, and heard both good and bad about their umbrella liability coverage. Do any of you have experience or data on their coverage? What about the NRA liability coverage? It looks pretty good, but they only cover up to $250K.

Legal Representation - Do I really need to "retain" a lawyer? Or is it good enough to know "who to call" in an event? I think I'm zeroed in on the Gunlaw.com folks, but not sure if I need to set up a formal relationship with them (and what the costs are).

Thanks for your feedback.
-Puro

Mstrty
08-13-2010, 8:57 AM
I had an NRA instructor recommend this (http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/)
I looked into it for as blanket policy for a member of a gun organization/club. As a member I didnt want to be liable in a lawsuit just because Im a member of a gun club. While they told me they didnt write polices like that they did inform me that they write polices for CCW license holders. Thats what they do for $85.00 per year. You can shoot bad guys knowing they will help you out with the legal expenses you are about to incur.

wash
08-13-2010, 9:54 AM
Have you donated to Calguns Foundation?

If you are facing legal hassles when you legally use your CCW or are just exercising your second amendment rights, CGF will defend you in most cases.

Zomgie
08-13-2010, 10:21 AM
This is why I like Calguns. I had never heard of or even considered that you could get insurance to protect against lawsuits like this. Awesome!

wash
08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Actually, I am a bit disapointed that people would even think about liability insurance.

First of all, it's just one more way the anti's are trying to destroy gun culture, by requiring expensive insurance for things like CCW.

Secondly, because if you are legally carrying and defending yourself, there shouldn't be much liability you can incur. Sadly in our letigious society that is not the case.

The fact that a prospective CCW license holder is thinking about liability instead of holsters or ammo choice is not the way things should be.

On the other hand, we all need to cover our ***** so it's not bad to think about it.

puropuro
08-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Actually, I am a bit disapointed that people would even think about liability insurance.

First of all, it's just one more way the anti's are trying to destroy gun culture, by requiring expensive insurance for things like CCW.

Secondly, because if you are legally carrying and defending yourself, there shouldn't be much liability you can incur. Sadly in our letigious society that is not the case.

The fact that a prospective CCW license holder is thinking about liability instead of holsters or ammo choice is not the way things should be.

On the other hand, we all need to cover our ***** so it's not bad to think about it.

As the OP, I wholeheartedly agree........but as we all know, we live in a country where one can sue another for pretty much any reason. Also, the sorts of citizens that get shot in a SD situation, and many times their families, would likely be short on ethics and fair play.

So, back to insurance and lawyers.....other thoughts? (hopefully some data too)

johnny_22
08-13-2010, 3:44 PM
I have a combination of Umbrella Policy, NRA Excess Personal Liability/Self Defense Coverage insurance(http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/defense.htm), and belong to the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network.

I also give to the Calguns Foundation. So, between those, I think I am covered.