PDA

View Full Version : wtf is "apprehended danger"?

vantec08
08-13-2010, 5:22 AM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2010/08/incomprehensible-apprehended-danger

August 12, 2010
An Incomprehensible 'Apprehended Danger'
by John Haughey

Maryland suit challenges state's bizarre reasoning in denying renewed gun permit for home-invasion victim.

A Maryland lawsuit could prove to be the next significant legal battle in the defense of Second Amendment rights in the wake of Supreme Court rulings in 2008's District of Columbia v. Heller and this year's McDonald v. Chicago cases.

The Second Amendment Foundation and Baltimore County resident Raymond Woollard filed a lawsuit in late July in U.S. District Court in Baltimore challenging Marylandís restrictive open-carry gun law.

"Imagine a world in which you had to go to the government and show a good and substantial reason to exercise your constitutional rights," said one of Woollard's lawyers. "[However] we are not arguing there shouldn't be background checks, fingerprints, mental examinations or training requirements."

Woollard and the SAF argue that Marylandís restrictive open-carry gun law is unconstitutional.

According to Seattle Gun Rights Examiner Dave Workman, the SAF filed the suit on behalf of Woollard after his gun permit renewal was denied because he could not demonstrate "a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger."

Woollard's story demonstrates how dangerously spurious and downright silly this arbitrary denial is.

On Christmas Eve 2002, as his family gathered to celebrate the holiday, Woollard's home was invaded by a man who wanted to fight. Woollard and the thug grappled for possession of a shotgun, The man was eventually subdued and held at bay by Woollard's son, who had grabbed another gun. They called police, who took "approximately 2.5 hours to arrive" because they could not decide in which county Woollard's home was in.

Despite this, Maryland denied Woollard's 2009 application to renew his gun permit because he could not demonstrate "a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger."

What is a "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" anyway?

For that matter, what does "apprehended danger" mean, exactly?

For more, go to:

- Gun-rights group files federal complaint against Maryland's gun restrictions;

- Lawsuit challenges Md.'s handgun restrictions;

- Complaint;

- SAF Sues in Maryland Over Handgun Permit Denial;

- SAF's new Maryland lawsuit shows why 'shall issue' law is best;

- Maryland group donates $10K to Bellevue's SAF for court battles;

adrenaline
08-13-2010, 5:34 AM
It means that they made the invader feel threatened. They should have put their weapons down and offered him some lemonade while the police finally arrived. In fact, they should have given him a firearm so he didn't feel in danger of his life. :rolleyes:

Glock22Fan
08-13-2010, 6:52 AM
It means that they made the invader feel threatened. They should have put their weapons down and offered him some lemonade while the police finally arrived. In fact, they should have given him a firearm so he didn't feel in danger of his life. :rolleyes:

Pretty funny!

Actually, take apprehended from the verb to be apprehensive, and be apprehensive because you intuit danger and the situation contains apprehended danger.

A bit of an awkward construct, but parsable.

bruceflinch
08-13-2010, 6:54 AM
MD taxdollars, not at work!

vantec08
08-13-2010, 6:58 AM
It's slightly twisted but it does make sense.

Apprehended as in apprehensive, so if you are apprehensive because you intuit danger, then the situation has "apprehended danger"" in it.

ok . . . that is the third definition of "apprehend" I found under definitions - 3. To become conscious of, as through the emotions or senses; perceive. I guess it means aware of imminent threat or "fear for life" which would have made more sense to me. But then. . . .I'm not a lib Maryland legislator.

dg29
08-13-2010, 7:03 AM
It means that only the military, police, state officials and federal officials should be allowed to have firearms and subdue a criminal (suspect).
Molon Labe!

yellowfin
08-13-2010, 7:50 AM
It's going to be really interesting to read Maryland's reply.

CSDGuy
08-13-2010, 8:10 AM
It's slightly twisted but it does make sense.

Apprehended as in apprehensive, so if you are apprehensive because you intuit danger, then the situation has "apprehended danger"" in it.

ok . . . that is the third definition of "apprehend" I found under definitions - 3. To become conscious of, as through the emotions or senses; perceive. I guess it means aware of imminent threat or "fear for life" which would have made more sense to me. But then. . . .I'm not a lib Maryland legislator.
Some criminal codes that are still in force, but written a long time ago may contain "apprehend a design" It's in reference to someone discovering a plan, scheme, intention to do something. I think I've even seen that phrase in the California Penal Code. You could say it's a more eloquent way of saying the same thing, using language well, with knowledge of the meaning of the words, and expecting that the reader has knowledge of word definitions as well, sufficient to derive the meaning of the phrase used.

motorhead
08-13-2010, 8:15 AM
it would appear the state is requiring some kind of threat, real or percieved, for renewal. they've chosen poorly.

Maestro Pistolero
08-13-2010, 8:18 AM
Merriam Webster's Apprehended:

2 a : to become aware of : perceive b : to anticipate especially with anxiety, dread, or fear
3 : to grasp with the understanding : recognize the meaning of.

But a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger? So we must demonstrate that we have taken action to mitigate the danger? I don't get the double speak either. I would like to know who cooked up this phrase.

Glock22Fan
08-13-2010, 8:34 AM
But a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger? So we must demonstrate that we have taken action to mitigate the danger? I don't get the double speak either. I would like to know who cooked up this phrase.

No, the point is that issuing the permit would be a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger. Does sound as if the person writing this was proud of his ability to use and twist words in a way that makes them hard to understand.

Rossi357
08-13-2010, 8:44 AM
It means, if you have some bullet holes, or knife wounds in your body, you qualify for a permit.

Glock22Fan
08-13-2010, 9:13 AM
It means, if you have some bullet holes, or knife wounds in your body, and you can prove that this is going to go on happening to you on an ongoing basis, you qualify for a permit.

Amended it for you.

Maestro Pistolero
08-13-2010, 9:27 AM
No, the point is that issuing the permit would be a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger. Does sound as if the person writing this was proud of his ability to use and twist words in a way that makes them hard to understand.

Ok. from the complaint:

15. Additionally, the Superintendent must determine that the applicant “has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.” Md. Public Safety Code § 5-
306(a)(5)(ii).

The bolded part makes sense of it all. We now have a complete sentence. Thanks for clarifying.

RomanDad
08-13-2010, 9:39 AM
It's going to be really interesting to read Maryland's reply.

Im going to need a translator.

corrupt
08-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Disgusting, Maryland, disgusting.

Fate
08-13-2010, 10:16 AM
When seconds count, the police are 2.5 hours away.
...and in the wrong county. :confused:

Paragun
08-13-2010, 10:48 AM
"a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger."

I read this as once the suspect has been "arrested" (apprehended) but held at gunpoint instead of restrained as in handcuffs.

held at bay by Woollard's son, who had grabbed another gun.

You normally see police put away the guns once a suspect has been handcuffed.

CSDGuy
08-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Im going to need a translator.
I hear ya... I imagine that much of MD's codes were written in the late 1700's and are in the written prose of the day, not Old English per se, but perhaps Elizabethan era style? Pick up some Shakespeare and you'll rightly need a translator too. Some seems straightforward, but if you're aware of alternate word meanings from the period, you'll start seeing alternate meanings.

It made my head spin.

Paragun
08-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Here is a good example of apprehended danger. You may have seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aSJgcpqePk

Munk
08-13-2010, 2:31 PM
Here is a good example of apprehended danger. You may have seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aSJgcpqePk

After that incident, i'd probably issue the guy who got arrested a license to carry.

"reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" ... maybe a bit of synonym swapping here.
"A reasonable precaution against percieved/recognized danger" is how I see it based on the definitions given. Doesn't that describe the act of carrying the gun? Getting this permit allows him to take a reasonable precaution against these legitimate threats by carrying a firearm. How is this a problem now?

hoffmang
08-13-2010, 7:11 PM
:gura:

Maryland is getting a visit...

-Gene

corrupt
08-13-2010, 7:46 PM
:gura:

Maryland is getting a visit...

-Gene

Good news everybody!

So when does that little animation sprout a spandex suit and cape?

thebullet
08-13-2010, 8:23 PM
MARYLAND YOU DISGUST ME! two and a half hours before the police show up because of red tape. It makes me wonder how fast the police would show up if they would have just shot the guy.:25:

Code7inOaktown
08-14-2010, 12:46 AM
That is pretty insane. Even in Oakland where we just laid off a ton of officers, I suspect a robber being held at gunpoint will get you a code 3 response.