PDA

View Full Version : NRA Challenges Semi-Auto Ban Referendum in Illinois

safewaysecurity
08-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fairfax, Va. – The National Rifle Association is backing a protest filed with the Electoral Board in Cook County, Illinois, in response to a petition to ban the sale of semi-automatic firearms across the state. The petition asks, “Shall the Governor and the members of the Illinois General Assembly enact legislation to ban the sale of semi-automatic and assault weapons that are used by criminals to threaten the lives of law enforcement and the people of Illinois?”

The petition is aimed at creating a referendum on the county's November ballot to prevent citizens of Illinois from being able to purchase semi-automatic firearms, which are the firearms most commonly bought for self-protection today. NRA member Selvin Morgan, a resident of Cook County, has filed an objection to this petition, and the NRA is supporting him in this effort. “The NRA will fight this and any other attempt to restrict the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA-ILA chief lobbyist. “Semi-automatic firearms have been around for 125 years and are used everywhere in America for self-defense, competitive shooting at all levels and hunting. Banning the sale of these commonly owned firearms will do nothing to curb crime, because criminals pay no attention to the law.”

Although the names, addresses and signatures of more than 83,000 Cook County residents are required in order for the question raised by the petition to make it onto the ballot, the petitioner has gathered and submitted information for only approximately 2,500 people -- many of whom are lacking valid names, addresses and signatures.

This petition and Mr. Morgan’s protest to the petition will be the subject of a hearing before the Cook County Electoral Board in the coming weeks. At that time, NRA will assist Mr. Morgan in asking that this referendum be stricken from the ballot.

Honestly I'm sure we are all sik of Chicago/Illinois by now. The people who are trying to do this should be tried for treason imo. Thoughts?

Rossi357
08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Honestly I'm sure we are all sik of Chicago/Illinois by now. The people who are trying to do this should be tried for treason imo. Thoughts?

Sounds like they are about 80,500 short, so they are in the cemetery getting more names.

nick
08-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Sounds like they are about 80,500 short, so they are in the cemetery getting more names.

Don't discount them, that's how anything gets passed in Chicago :)

jdberger
08-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Interesting "neutral" wording.

I'd be willing to sponsor a petition asking "Should the lying, cheating necrophiliac Mayor of Chicago be sent into exile in Antarctica?"

I bet I could top 2500 signatures in 24 hours.

nick
08-12-2010, 11:14 PM

I'd be willing to sponsor a petition asking "Should the lying, cheating necrophiliac Mayor of Chicago be sent into exile in Antarctica?"

Where do I sign it? :D

Colt-45
08-12-2010, 11:15 PM
God, will this ever end? will they ever get tired of tossing this crap around time after time?.

I love it when they have their little press conferences with victims of gun violence. Which usually are the family members of gangsters/criminals that have been shot.:rolleyes: ironic?

Scott Connors
08-13-2010, 4:46 AM

Hey! what did the penguins ever do to you? ;)

GutPunch
08-13-2010, 6:38 AM
Best line ever:

enact legislation to ban the sale of semi-automatic and assault weapons that are used by criminals

Yeah thats the average intellegence level of a public school graduate.

ZombieTactics
08-13-2010, 7:43 AM
Well, I interpret that to mean that I could buy any semi-auto NOT used by a criminal then. Given the almost epidemic use of the FN PS90, etc. ... oh wait, not used by any criminals ... bingo!

Mulay El Raisuli
08-13-2010, 9:00 AM
Hey! what did the penguins ever do to you? ;)

LOL!

The Raisuli

Hippo
08-13-2010, 9:07 AM
We should all use Barretts to show we're not affiliated with criminals.

Decoligny
08-13-2010, 9:15 AM

I'd be willing to sponsor a petition asking "Should the lying, cheating necrophiliac Mayor of Chicago be sent NAKED into exile in Antarctica?"

Fixed that for ya! :D

Munk
08-13-2010, 10:40 PM
So they're making a big stink about a petition that is well below the required minimum, with a significant number of invalid entries, and is worded poorly. (Isn't is already illegal to use a gun in a criminal manner by definition?).

While it's stupid to make a big deal over it, I'm glad they're trying to quash it. Stupid anti 2a actions are still stupid.

ALSystems
08-14-2010, 8:18 AM

Personally, I'd like to see him encased in a block of ice and put on public display in Chicago as a warning other politicians. :D

blacksheep
08-14-2010, 11:24 AM
In a past life I think Daley was a court jester, the only thing that has a chance at cleaning up that city is the Atomic bomb.:eek:

kermit315
08-14-2010, 1:24 PM
well, with Heller/McDonald, common use and an individual right should be enough to kill this even if it were to get on the ballot, and pass.

However, best to kill it with fire now, rather than later.

safewaysecurity
08-14-2010, 5:05 PM
Personally, I'd like to see him encased in a block of ice and put on public display in Chicago as a warning other politicians. :D

He should be tried for treason imo... I mean he comes out and says people shouldn't own guns when the second amendment has been interpreted even by the supreme court as an individual right. He is by default as a public office holder supposed to support and defend the constitution. Doing anything besides that is worthy of treason...

jl123
08-14-2010, 6:12 PM
He should be tried for treason imo... I mean he comes out and says people shouldn't own guns when the second amendment has been interpreted even by the supreme court as an individual right. He is by default as a public office holder supposed to support and defend the constitution. Doing anything besides that is worthy of treason...

I disagree.....there is a process in place to change the Constitution for a reason. He's entitled to whatever idiot beliefs he likes. It is when he decides to side-step instead of change the Constitution that he has a major problem.

Thankfully it is pretty difficult to get the Constitution changed.....and any jackhole with a "bright" idea can't get it done.

Paul S
08-14-2010, 8:36 PM
Best line ever:

Yeah thats the average intellegence level of a public school graduate.

Yes indeed...the syntax is rather tortured isn't it? :eek:

Paul S

N6ATF
08-15-2010, 1:29 AM
Even if Daley violates the Constitution every waking minute and in his dreams as well... the bigger reason to fry him for treason is that he has been complicit in so many murders, rapes, and maimings of all the people he disarmed that he should be tried at the Hague for genocide. How many decades of statistical proof that you are waging war against The People are necessary?