PDA

View Full Version : DROSing with Mil ID only?

Plisk
08-12-2010, 9:16 PM
I have a question, it's nothing I've dealt with before DROSing.

A buddy of mine is trying to purchase a handgun from us (FFL) but he's lost his Drivers License, he has his Mil ID and residency but no ID.

In the DROS system, I know there is an option for ID type as Military ID Card, but they don't swipe into the system. Anyone know if it's possible to DROS with just his Mil ID?

scoutpup99
08-12-2010, 9:50 PM
mil id works with a current copy of his duty station papers.

Plisk
08-12-2010, 9:57 PM
Are there any specifics for this? He mentioned something about his base orders.

scoutpup99
08-12-2010, 10:02 PM
All he has to do is provide a copy of his duty papers(base orders) and his mil id to the dealer to purchase a gun. If he lives off base he will also need to provide a government issued document (vehicle reg, ham license, bus license,etc) that shows his current address in CA.

Plisk
08-12-2010, 10:14 PM
He's telling me has has base orders, so if this is true it could work.

Do you have a link or form that has the specifics about this?

tenpercentfirearms
08-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Are you a dealer? If so, you really need to use the BOF webpage as it will have all of your answers and more.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#14G

scoutpup99
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#14G

scoutpup99
beat me to it.

Plisk
08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Yes, I work at a dealer.

So his base orders will give me all his personal info (address, etc.) and its sufficient for a handgun purchase?

Plisk
08-13-2010, 1:09 AM
I'm looking through the PC 12071(c)(1) looking for what #14 talks about, but I can't find the specifics about ID requirements. Can someone point out where it is exactly to me?

Quiet
08-13-2010, 1:48 AM
I'm looking through the PC 12071(c)(1) looking for what #14 talks about, but I can't find the specifics about ID requirements. Can someone point out where it is exactly to me?

This what you are looking for?

Penal Code 12071
(b) A license is subject to forfeiture for a breach of any of the following prohibitions and requirements:
(3) No firearm shall be delivered:
(C) Unless the purchaser, transferee, or person being loaned the firearm presents clear evidence of his or her identity and age to the dealer.
(8)(C) Commencing January 1, 2003, no handgun may be delivered unless the purchaser, transferee, or person being loaned the firearm presents documentation indicating that he or she is a California resident. Satisfactory documentation shall include a utility bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed, or military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within this state, or other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice. The firearms dealer shall retain a photocopy of the documentation as proof of compliance with this requirement.

gunsmithcats
08-13-2010, 8:24 AM
Base Orders will not give an address, it will only prove that he's a resident of California.
So technically, he can give you any address he wants as long as its a California address and he has a copy of PCS orders to Cali.

Instead of driver's license number you would use his SSN that is on the military ID for an ID number.

Also, active duty military don't need an HSC for handgun purchases.

Plisk
08-17-2010, 7:05 PM
Thank you Quiet, that's what I was looking for.