PDA

View Full Version : First US Marines rifle?

The Original Godfather
08-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I tried google and couldnt come up with anything. I'm actually going to Borders and Barnes n Noble tomorrow to pick up books to research it. Anyone know which rifle was the first to be used by US Marines (non-musket type)?

I'm wanting to get one for my brother when he returns from deployment.

Thanks

FS00008
08-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Non-Musket type or non black powder type?

If non-black powder, I'd assume a Lee Navy 6MM, but don't quote me on that.

pullnshoot25
08-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I tried google and couldnt come up with anything. I'm actually going to Borders and Barnes n Noble tomorrow to pick up books to research it. Anyone know which rifle was the first to be used by US Marines (non-musket type)?

I'm wanting to get one for my brother when he returns from deployment.

Thanks

I am going to go out on a limb here and say it was probably a trapdoor conversion of some type. Not a definitive answer but it is a semi-educated guess.

The Original Godfather
08-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Non-Musket type or non black powder type?

If non-black powder, I'd assume a Lee Navy 6MM, but don't quote me on that.

sorry, non black powder. :)

I'll look into the Lee Navy 6MM

ledman
08-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Well, seeing that the US Marines Corps was founded in 1775,Most Marines carried a flintlock musket or pistol, as well as a bayonet or sword.
The Sword was most likely the primary weapon used after firing their pistols and muskets,as they took so long to reload.

The Original Godfather
08-12-2010, 10:11 PM
I just did some quick research on the 6MM Lee Navy. I'm assuming its not the first Marine rifle since it was developed in the 1890s, however seeing that it was used in the Philippines during the Spanish American war as the Marines primary rifle, this is also a contender for my brother's gift :) (we're Filipino ;))

The Original Godfather
08-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, seeing that the US Marines Corps was founded in 1775,Most Marines carried a flintlock musket or pistol, as well as a bayonet or sword.
The Sword was most likely the primary weapon used after firing their pistols and muskets,as they took so long to reload.

If I could get my hands on a Revolutionary era USMC sword then that would be just perfect :D

ledman
08-12-2010, 10:20 PM
If I could get my hands on a Revolutionary era USMC sword then that would be just perfect :D

OH! You and me be both brother! That would be sweet! To have an original US Marine Corps sword from the revolution??? Wow...I have wood just thinking about it! lol

So the first NON musket type rifle used...hmmm well after all the muskets...I know around the 1850's the Army used the Henry lever action rifle that used cartridges then later came the Winchester in 1873 the the Krag-Jörgensen rifle went obsolete in 1903 which had been adopted by the army in 1892 ...so the Marines probably got their hand-me down Henry's 20 years later! lol then of course the Springfield 1903 was made the the 1917 and it just got better and better.

FS00008
08-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Well he said non black powder. The henry lever guns were black powder cartridges. And IIRC the .30-40 was originally black powder.... That's why I thought the Lee Navy since the 6MM was entirely a smokeless cartridge.

Hornetsnest
08-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Depending on your budget, there are some other cool Marine weapons in more recent history.

Winchester Model 70 - Vietnam era sniper rifle used by famous Marine Sniper Carlos Hathcock.
M1 Garand - Rifle used by Marines during the battle of Iwo Jima. They even have an "Iwo Jima Edition" with a cool design and case, but they are expensive if you can get your hands on one.
Colt 1911 - Chesty Puller's pistol...nuff said.

The Original Godfather
08-13-2010, 12:05 AM
thanks for all the input guys.

where could i go online to find some deals on these particular rifles?

BTW, i just noticed i posted this in the gallery section. DOH!

gunboat
08-13-2010, 12:29 AM
My vote for first Marine rifle - smokeless --- is the Lee navy 6mm -
First cartridge rifle -- black powder -- was likely a Remington rolling block -

FS00008
08-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Like I said, Lee Navy 6MM :-)

FS00008
08-13-2010, 12:32 AM
sorry, non black powder. :)

I'll look into the Lee Navy 6MM

Based upon this post, he's interested in the first smokeless rifle the USMC was issued, as I said, this is most likely the Lee Navy 6MM. That cartridge was developed into the .220 Swift IIRC and you may be able to find an original example somewhere on Gunbroker in 6MM or even one converted into .220 Swift...

Astig Boy
08-24-2010, 3:13 PM
I just did some quick research on the 6MM Lee Navy. I'm assuming its not the first Marine rifle since it was developed in the 1890s, however seeing that it was used in the Philippines during the Spanish American war as the Marines primary rifle, this is also a contender for my brother's gift :) (we're Filipino ;))

Sorry for the late posting. Didn't see this posting until now.
During the Philippine American War, the Marines were initially issued Lee rifles, but were swapped out early on for Krags(what they felt was a better and more effective rifle in the Philippines).
One of the greatest expeditions of that era was of Samar by Littleton Waller and his Marines; they are also noted in reports for carrying Krags.

Rogerbutthead
08-24-2010, 3:45 PM
Never seen a Lee 6mm Navy for sale. What do they go for?

mls343
08-25-2010, 8:45 PM
I think there may have been another smokeless rifle issued to the Marines before the Lee. I think it might be the Remington Keene.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1729&cid=9