PDA

View Full Version : LA Gunstores? Who is good?

Twinsen
08-12-2010, 6:49 PM
I'm down in Long Beach, and I've been looking for good gun stores. Ammo Bros is the best I've been into. I plan on getting a gun through them, but they really don't seem to want to sell guns. I've pretty much been begging them to sell me things and they seem uninterested. Order the dang gun and I will give you hundreds of dollars, it's not hard. I'd assumed buying a Rem 700 would be like buying a loaf of bread, but no. They are completely uninterested in doing an out-of-state transfer, because that way they can't get a big margin of profit on the sale. They'd prefer to order it for me. Ok, order it. "Well we uh, the way we do it is... we wah wah wah." So they're going to sit there and not order it. So when Remington fills the order the distributors have that is based on FFL orders, all the guns will get sent to the FFLs that ordered guns instead of the dealer that has a customer begging to buy the gun and willing to pay up front. So long story short, I'm just not going to get to buy a gun.

But then again, this is how every other FFL that I've visited in this state works. Turners really doesn't want to sell guns either. How do they places stay in business? They won't order one, and they won't transfer one. Then what the heck do they do? Whine about gun stores going out business left and right when I'm in the store when you sit there and refuse to work. Good job.

I went to Mike's Gun Smithing and they aren't open, ever. There's always trucks parked there though. Best I can figure is they're either out of business or are fascists that only work on government guns.

I went to Gunslinger Gun Shop too, but they're 30 miles away and won't talk over the phone about anything. I don't get that, either. You're not transferring the gun, you're ordering it. I pay, you order, we do the transfer in person when it comes in. But no, don't want to sell guns. I don't really want to drive 30 miles, tell you in person that I want to order a gun, and then have you see that your distributor doesn't have one sitting on a shelf and you tell me you don't feel like ordering one. I don't know that they'd do that, but I know the other 2 I've tried said that. I don't want to drive 30 miles just to hear another depressing FFL say they're fighting tooth and nail to put themselves out of business through laziness.

Anybody out there actually sell guns?

Greg F.
08-12-2010, 7:06 PM
I would recommend trying Bain & Davis in San Gabriel. They have a small but friendly store. They also do gunsmithing as well. Give them a call Tues-Sat @ 626-573-4241. Also check out Alamo pawn shop www.alamojewelryandloan.com in W. Covina.

robcoe
08-12-2010, 7:10 PM
I was going to say Turners in Signal hill, since I never had a problem getting a gun through them, but apparently they dont work for you. If your trying to get a handgun are you sure its on roster and legal for them to sell it to you? And Turners not wanting to sell guns sounds kind of odd since I have bought 5 through them in the last 6 months, several that they ordered.

Beetle Bailey
08-12-2010, 7:11 PM
So the shops you went to won't even order the gun for you when you have cash in hand? That's odd. Try Bain and Davis in San Gabriel.

Bain and Davis
307 E. Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776

I've had them order stuff for me before. No problems.

den888
08-12-2010, 7:28 PM
Bain and Davis in San Gabriel, Oak Tree Gun Club in Newhall, Ammo Brothers (Cerritos), Angeles Range Gun Shop (aka Shooter's Edge Inc) and also Gunrunners in Duarte.

metalblade201
08-12-2010, 7:32 PM
try insight shooting range, pretty close to Long Beach

Twinsen
08-12-2010, 7:46 PM
I was going to say Turners in Signal hill, since I never had a problem getting a gun through them, but apparently they dont work for you. If your trying to get a handgun are you sure its on roster and legal for them to sell it to you? And Turners not wanting to sell guns sounds kind of odd since I have bought 5 through them in the last 6 months, several that they ordered.

It's a bolt action .308, Remington 700. It's like the Ford Taurus of the gun world.

Don't ask me why they won't order it. I asked them multiple times to order it. They even gave me a price, but then said they won't order it because it's new or blah blah talk in circles to avoid doing the only thing FFLs do, transfer guns.

But tomorrow, I'll follow up with the other suggestions that people have made. I got my California license, I want to buy a rifle. An extremely boring California legal rifle that is nowhere near banned in any state in this country (outside of the insanely high crime cities that are insanely high crime cities because guns are banned).

And if that doesn't work, I'll do what I didn't want to do, call any FFL in my home state and have them order the gun. Then when I go home in a few months I can have the gun that I paid for months ago waiting for me to transfer it into my name so I can start building the thing up. And it wouldn't even be because of California gun laws that this would happen, it's because FFLs in Cali love going out of business.

SammyL
08-12-2010, 7:54 PM
They aren't in LA are but in Orange County but you can try Field Times Sports and Guns. Great guys to deal with and I believe they had a few Rem 700s the last time I was there drooling at guns. They are located in Westminster on Beach Blvd between the 405 and 22 freeways.

http://www.fieldtimesportsandguns.com/

glbtrottr
08-12-2010, 8:00 PM
You're funny. :)

I remember when my significant other decided she wanted to buy a gun on her own. Mind you - this was in Chicago, and the store was on the outskirts in a different town where it's legal to buy a gun.

She called, asking my opinion on things...at which time she was dismissed from the store as the manager suspected she was a "straw purchaser" since Mare Richard M Daley was always setting up stings in the store trying to shut them down.

Some store in Southern Orange County that has a range was equally as annoying when she went there to buy a gun. We became members, we stopped being members, and thankfully never gave them a dime of our gun business.

Do you know what you want?
We've gone from Ammo Brothers to Big 5, from Turners to LAX Shooting range.

The friendliest? Probably Ade's in Orange. Genuinely nice people, and while not the lowest prices, very reasonable for a small shop.

Some of the largest selection? Probably the Stockade / Fowler's. We wouldn't purchase a darned thing from them - their prices are generally excessively high for us.

We were impressed with the selection in Gun World in Burbank; small store, huge selection for the space, and about the rudest, most price gouging store in the county.

But by far the reason we probably ended up becoming friends with Mike at OC Armory is because he's by far one of the nicest human beings you'll find, one of the most reasonable and well informed, he'll deal in Black Rifles and many exotic things that are plain fun to us, and his pricing is great for what he sells. Probably a little drive for you, but give him a call and he'll gladly order anything you need and get it in the shortest possible time...even if you want a Serbu Shotty, a C&R, or a DTC50 to reach out and touch someone far. He doesnt have much of a pistol inventory, but can order you nearly anything you need.

Oc Armory
23012 Del Lago Drive
Laguna Hills, CA 92653-1353
(949) 768-5189

Helpful_Cub
08-12-2010, 8:06 PM
I think a large part of your problem is that they dealer only gets to charge the defined DROS fee for the kind of transfer you're looking for. If they bought it themselves and then turned around and sold it to you, they'd make an actually profit on their time invested in the transaction. However, you'd also be able to walk away after the jacked up the price. So in short, yes they don't want to deal with out-of-state guns, there's little money in them and there's a lot more paperwork involved.

GLuxury
08-12-2010, 8:14 PM
I went to Martin B Retting in Culver City midday on a Saturday .. place was pretty busy .. but i talked to this guy name Gray .. I plan on purchasing a Sig real soon .. but my friends and i talked to him about Sigs and AR's for about two hours .. we did not buy a damn thing that day .. but with the time he spent with me .. i will go no where else now .. everyone else just gave me the cold shoulder.

Depending where you are in LB .. take the 405 north and exit washington .. with mild traffic its prob about a 30 minute drive

Twinsen
08-12-2010, 8:15 PM
AHA! I found a dealer that will do AOW! The ones I've been to all said it's illegal in CA, even though I know it isn't. Serbu 870 is on the list of stuff I need. TY, that sounds like a decent pro-gun person I can deal with.

I think a large part of your problem is that they dealer only gets to charge the defined DROS fee for the kind of transfer you're looking for. If they bought it themselves and then turned around and sold it to you, they'd make an actually profit on their time invested in the transaction. However, you'd also be able to walk away after the jacked up the price. So in short, yes they don't want to deal with out-of-state guns, there's little money in them and there's a lot more paperwork involved.

They won't order a gun from a distributor either. That's the problem. They just won't do business at all.

jackliu239
08-12-2010, 8:31 PM
Straightline tactical is awesome http://www.straightlinetactical.com/ he charges 25fee + 25 dros for FFL transfer anywhere. Most of the time even if his store is closed he will arrange to come in that day just for you to pick up your guns. Really good guy to deal with, and yes he sells a lot of guns and tactical gears, and decent prices also.

bsg
08-12-2010, 8:52 PM
I would recommend trying Bain & Davis in San Gabriel. They have a small but friendly store. They also do gunsmithing as well. Give them a call Tues-Sat @ 626-573-4241. Also check out Alamo pawn shop www.alamojewelryandloan.com (http://www.alamojewelryandloan.com) in W. Covina.

geez... i've had good experiences at both these places as well. good call. :)

toadman
08-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Gotta give another +1 on Bain & Davis. Small store, but friendly knowledgeable staff that don't act like they are ex-Swat, ex-Seal, ex-CIA knowitalls.

n2k
08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx

Place your order and have them send it to the shop that's closest to you that is part of the network.

SarcoBlaster
08-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Pro Force in Brea. Awesome pricing and excellent customer service.

n2k
08-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Pro Force in Brea. Awesome pricing and excellent customer service.

Centrally located in Brea, California the ProForce store is not open to the general public and only open to Law Enforcement, Military (both active and retired), Security Personnel, Medical First Responders and Fire Professionals. ID is needed to gain entry into the store which is open Monday - Saturday 9am-6pm Pacific for your convenience.

Hoolpe
08-13-2010, 12:46 PM
First, I've never had an issue with Ammo Bros doing a transfer. They've always been helpful. If you want a Remington 700, then go to Bass Pro. They have about 15 different variations there on the rack.

Aldemar
08-13-2010, 1:24 PM
I went to Martin B Retting in Culver City midday on a Saturday .. place was pretty busy .. but i talked to this guy name Gray .. I plan on purchasing a Sig real soon .. but my friends and i talked to him about Sigs and AR's for about two hours .. we did not buy a damn thing that day .. but with the time he spent with me .. i will go no where else now .. everyone else just gave me the cold shoulder.

Depending where you are in LB .. take the 405 north and exit washington .. with mild traffic its prob about a 30 minute drive

IMHO, you got lucky. I've been in there twice and practically had to yell to get some attention. I was looking to buy an M1A. I'll never step foot in that place again.

SarcoBlaster
08-13-2010, 1:32 PM
Centrally located in Brea, California the ProForce store is not open to the general public and only open to Law Enforcement, Military (both active and retired), Security Personnel, Medical First Responders and Fire Professionals. ID is needed to gain entry into the store which is open Monday - Saturday 9am-6pm Pacific for your convenience.
Thanks for bolding the obvious requirements. The OP asked for good stores in the LA area and I posted one that I felt fit the bill and took a chance that he might be Law Enforcement, Military (both active and retired), Security Personnel, Medical First Responders, and Fire Professionals.

toby
08-13-2010, 1:37 PM
Got a Weatherby through Davidsons and sent it to Alamo Jewlery & Loan best place ever to do a transfer or deal of any kind Small Friendly no BS. $35
544 n. Azuza av.West Covina
1626-967-5367

johnnykane0147
08-13-2010, 4:22 PM
Im going to have to go with Oak Tree Gun Club in Newhall. Staff is friendly, very helpful., I had a issue with a gun that was shipped there and Victor who works there went out of his way to get it in and done for me.....

gn3hz3ku1*
08-13-2010, 4:37 PM
i dont know why ammo bros wont order it, they always get good reviews on here.

http://www.straightlinetactical.com/Home_Page.html
these guys might?

Twinsen
08-14-2010, 6:41 AM
That is a ton of responses. Thank you guys. Just doing a search for LA gun store doesn't come up with all this stuff easily.

I am not LEO/Military. I don't know where Bass Pro is, but they're fuddy enough that I think I'll steer clear.

bodger
08-14-2010, 6:58 AM

I know Retting's hasn't been popular with some folks on CG, but I've always had good luck with them.
PPT? Go in the morning when they first open, they'll get you in and out. And I've ordered rifles, handguns and shotguns from them and had the sale go smoothly. A few bucks more here and there for the firearms, but Rettings is three miles from my house.
I like Rettings.

powerstrokemike
08-14-2010, 8:29 AM
good HK dealer in the pomona area ???

bluestaterebel
08-14-2010, 6:54 PM
That is a ton of responses. Thank you guys. Just doing a search for LA gun store doesn't come up with all this stuff easily.

I am not LEO/Military. I don't know where Bass Pro is, but they're fuddy enough that I think I'll steer clear.

What is so fuddy about Bass Pro?

Taildraggerdave
08-14-2010, 7:08 PM
+1000 for www.galleryofguns.com
I made a few purchases through them and they are great. You go online, pick out the gun you want, make a deposit with a credit card, and they ship it next day or two day air to the gun store you specify.
You go to that gun store, pay the balance, and wait your 10 days.

Have it shipped to Ammo Bros since they are the closest or ship it where ever you like.
A hint: choose 25 or 50 miles on the store locator because it will show more stores and you can compare prices between stores.

You can own that Remington in 10 minutes from now!!

Take care,
Dave

Full Clip
08-14-2010, 7:28 PM

I've had great experiences at Rettings as well.
My niece and I recently went there to check out some handguns and got plenty of undivided, informed attention.
I'm sure it may depend on who you get, but I've bought a number of rifles and pistols there.

Oh, and GUN WORLD IN BURBANK SUX! It's one mile from my house, but I'd rather drive all the way across town to Culver City and go to Rettings. Tells you something, no?

EngineeredBLUR
08-15-2010, 4:36 PM
No problems with Retting's either. I have bought 2 pistols and a rifle there and have never had a problem. Always crowded on the weekends, but the mornings are much better.

Prices are fair and most of those guys have a lot of helpful information... after you get their attention of course. They will spend as much time with you as you need and make sure you are getting what you want.

Greg-Dawg
08-15-2010, 4:44 PM
Turners.

HotRails
08-15-2010, 6:27 PM
If you're willing to shoot over to Riverside you can try Bright Spot Pawn. They were friendly when I was there once and other members have always posted good experiences.

Twinsen
08-21-2010, 2:57 PM
I would recommend trying Bain & Davis in San Gabriel. They have a small but friendly store. They also do gunsmithing as well. Give them a call Tues-Sat @ 626-573-4241 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************626-573-4241******end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************626-573-4241******end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Also check out Alamo pawn shop www.alamojewelryandloan.com in W. Covina.

I just got on a wishlist for the rifle and ordered a shotgun from Bain & Davis.

So I'm probably not going to get the rifle anytime soon, but they put me on the wishlist with their distributor so the pull system can start to churn out a 700 for me. While I was on the call to them, giving up on Ammo Bros, Ammo Bros guy called and told me he finally did what B&D did within seconds of me calling. So what took many calls and weeks of waiting was done in seconds at a gunstore that was recommended by gun people.

Thank you, gun people.

Air
08-21-2010, 4:59 PM
I know Retting's hasn't been popular with some folks on CG, but I've always had good luck with them.
PPT? Go in the morning when they first open, they'll get you in and out. And I've ordered rifles, handguns and shotguns from them and had the sale go smoothly. A few bucks more here and there for the firearms, but Rettings is three miles from my house.
I like Rettings.

Rettings can be hit and miss, at least for me. I have made purchases there. These days, I deal primarily with Fort Courage...

Beetle Bailey
08-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Glad things worked out for the OP. Enjoy the rifle and shotgun. :)

bodger
08-22-2010, 2:58 PM
Rettings can be hit and miss, at least for me. I have made purchases there. These days, I deal primarily with Fort Courage...

FCA would be my first choice as well. I always have my guns shipped there if I buy off GunBroker, and I try to buy ammo and supplies from them when I'm in the area.

The only drawback is the distance out and back, times two for the 10 day. But I agree, Tim and the guys are the best.
Just wish I lived closer.

Twinsen
08-22-2010, 3:02 PM
I'll enjoy the shotgun. I'm glad I finally got a dealer that would put in some effort for me on the rifle. It'll probably be a wait. That'll help with the old buyer's remorse. I'll have a pile of paychecks waiting.

RT13
08-23-2010, 2:32 AM
EVERY gun shop has good and bad moments. Been to most gun shops in LA and OC, and I've had good and bad experiences on them all. Been to shops that has been bashed and trashed on here and was treated great. Been to good recommended shops on here but was treated bad. It's all a hit and miss. I was at Turner's in Norwalk a couple weeks ago with cash on hand ready to buy, until the hillbilly guy at the counter ignored me the whole time. Asked him a question, he replied and continued to ignore me. They even helped customers who just walked in while a couple of us has been there waiting for over ten mins. Screw that, walked out and took my cash to Bass Pro instead and had a very good experience and they earned my money.

RT13
08-23-2010, 2:35 AM
I just got on a wishlist for the rifle and ordered a shotgun from Bain & Davis.

So I'm probably not going to get the rifle anytime soon, but they put me on the wishlist with their distributor so the pull system can start to churn out a 700 for me. While I was on the call to them, giving up on Ammo Bros, Ammo Bros guy called and told me he finally did what B&D did within seconds of me calling. So what took many calls and weeks of waiting was done in seconds at a gunstore that was recommended by gun people.

Thank you, gun people.

What kind of Rem 700 were you looking for? I'm in the market for one also since I regretfully sold my last one. Saw a very nice XTR and LTR at Bass Pro but as gorgeous as it was, they were too expensive.

Twinsen
08-23-2010, 4:02 PM
It's the new AAC model. When you go to Remington's website it's the gun on top, because it's newish.

Remington's site isn't working right now, but if it was, this link would work: Model 700™ SPS™ Tactical AACŪ-SD™ (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx)

Since Rem bought AAC and put this AAC branded rifle out, I am assuming that it is threaded 5/8 24 3A concentric with a perfect shoulder. So when I get a muzzle brake it'll fit nicely and be effective. I've seen so many bad thread jobs out there, and very few extremely tight threads. I'd prefer the accessories to fit the barrel and to not blow the silencer off the barrel when I mount one when I'm not in Califnoarniarnai. Also it's like $50 more than the non-threaded version for a nice $100-150 thread job and $40-50 thread protector.

My plan is to build the thing up with a new folding stock chassis. Like this one that I photoshopped blue. Got an NV mount there on the front for good times. Imagine it filled with a Remington 700 action in flat black, bull barrel, big ol' bipod, Leupold Mk4 with too much magnification, anchored scope rail instead of mounts, lapped rings, and that NV mount out front just lonely and empty until I get stupid enough to buy some NV or IR junk that I don't need. And I think IR is illegal in Californainsisnian too.
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Tacomaniacer/datBlue.jpg

23 Blast
08-24-2010, 6:18 AM
Hmm. I can see why Bass Pro would be too "fuddy" for you.

But I can't see why Ammo Bros didn't work for you. I've generally had good experiences with them, only thing is they're a tad slow on the customer service, even if they're only moderately busy. But Ammo Bros will always have a customer in me because they helped me with a transaction that Turners refused to do.

mig79
08-24-2010, 7:01 AM
Sounds like a whole lot of problems to get a common rifle. I went through the same thing when i was looking for an m1a. Seems like no one had it, the places that did have it wanted tooo much money. Bought online, for $400 below lowest price i found locally. had the rifle send to enterprise arms in irwindale (they charge $75 for the transfer including dros). tax on the retail was almost $200. so i still saved $500.

23 Blast
08-24-2010, 11:26 AM
^ FWIW, I thought it was ILLEGAL for gunstores to charge more than $35 TOTAL for DROS and fees.

mig79
08-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I believe it is... but they can charge what ever they want to receive the shipment. Most places charge $90-100... so $75 is a good price. Besides I had twwo other long guns shipped to them and had them all dros'd at the same time.

Rekrab
08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
^ FWIW, I thought it was ILLEGAL for gunstores to charge more than $35 TOTAL for DROS and fees.

It is, but the out of state transfer fees is the fee+DROS. So $25+$10 for DROS, $40 for dealer to dealer transfer.

Twinsen
08-24-2010, 5:39 PM
Hmm. I can see why Bass Pro would be too "fuddy" for you.

But I can't see why Ammo Bros didn't work for you. I've generally had good experiences with them, only thing is they're a tad slow on the customer service, even if they're only moderately busy. But Ammo Bros will always have a customer in me because they helped me with a transaction that Turners refused to do.

Back home I regularly go to the Cabela's. I'm sure I'll be going to bass pro, considering it's only an hour away. I expected it to be a huge trek.

Kynoch
08-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Got a Weatherby through Davidsons and sent it to Alamo Jewlery & Loan best place ever to do a transfer or deal of any kind Small Friendly no BS. $35
544 n. Azuza av.West Covina
1626-967-5367
How did you learn of Davidson's distributor pricing on the Wby or did you pay full boat?

There used to be a place here locally where they had all the distributor price lists and charged a $10.00 fee plus they hoped you would shoot at their range. One time I asked for a slice of their stationary and printed a letter out on it along with an envelope. They signed the letter and I sent a manufacturer the letter and their FFL. They called me a week later with the dealer pricing and it was A LOT lower...

Kynoch
08-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Sounds like a whole lot of problems to get a common rifle. I went through the same thing when i was looking for an m1a. Seems like no one had it, the places that did have it wanted tooo much money. Bought online, for $400 below lowest price i found locally. had the rifle send to enterprise arms in irwindale (they charge $75 for the transfer including dros). tax on the retail was almost $200. so i still saved $500.

Dealers in CA collect the tax if the weapon comes from a distributor -- that's the law.

Twinsen
08-25-2010, 12:09 PM
That's the law in every state. But I've only seen it done ONCE, and it was by my own employer.

Literally once.